Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Pro 78 rev. C -- my review

On my first trip from Austin to Del Rio (a month ago) I had my Pro78 mounted just under my RVM with all bands/POP on. Heading south on I-35 my Pro goes off -KA and about 3 seconds later I see 2 bike leos coming at me. Disappointed with the no advance notice. Then entering the Del Rio city limits I slowed down to PSL 60 and I spotted DPS, then the Pro goes off with KA c/o with too late of a warning. Disappointed again. I had really not been speeding on this trip as I was trying to test the range and detection of my new toy. Needless to say my eyes were doing a better job!
    My second trip was this weekend again. This time I had installed a new toll way tag under my RVM and then my Pro below it. I had the same expierence as last time. I was thinking that it was time to have it checked out at Whistler. This time on the way back, I moved my Pro to the left of my RVM, thinking maybe the toll tag might have interfered with it on this trip. Driving into Uvalde going PSL the Pro goes off and slowly ramps on until I pass the leo coming at me. I measured it at .5 miles when it went off and the time i ran into him, guessing its fair to say it detected him about 1mile away since he was coming at me. I was a bit pleased with this encounter. The Pro went off a few more times in the trip but I couldn't if it was a leo or a false alert since it was dark already. I can see now why some V owners like the arrows on their RD. I will test my Pro where it is right now, next to the RVM, before sending it to Mike.

I did notice something strange though, when I had it set to dim-dark the radar was readable but it would go blank as soon as it went to alert mode, I just heard the voice and beeps. I even power cycled it and it kept doing it. Is it suppose to do this? Well, like I said I will test it out in its current position this week, if I continue to be discourage with the range, I will send it in for diagnostics.

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by byteme29 View Post
    On my first trip from Austin to Del Rio (a month ago) I had my Pro78 mounted just under my RVM with all bands/POP on. Heading south on I-35 my Pro goes off -KA and about 3 seconds later I see 2 bike leos coming at me. Disappointed with the no advance notice. Then entering the Del Rio city limits I slowed down to PSL 60 and I spotted DPS, then the Pro goes off with KA c/o with too late of a warning. Disappointed again. I had really not been speeding on this trip as I was trying to test the range and detection of my new toy. Needless to say my eyes were doing a better job!
    My second trip was this weekend again. This time I had installed a new toll way tag under my RVM and then my Pro below it. I had the same expierence as last time. I was thinking that it was time to have it checked out at Whistler. This time on the way back, I moved my Pro to the left of my RVM, thinking maybe the toll tag might have interfered with it on this trip. Driving into Uvalde going PSL the Pro goes off and slowly ramps on until I pass the leo coming at me. I measured it at .5 miles when it went off and the time i ran into him, guessing its fair to say it detected him about 1mile away since he was coming at me. I was a bit pleased with this encounter. The Pro went off a few more times in the trip but I couldn't if it was a leo or a false alert since it was dark already. I can see now why some V owners like the arrows on their RD. I will test my Pro where it is right now, next to the RVM, before sending it to Mike.

I did notice something strange though, when I had it set to dim-dark the radar was readable but it would go blank as soon as it went to alert mode, I just heard the voice and beeps. I even power cycled it and it kept doing it. Is it suppose to do this? Well, like I said I will test it out in its current position this week, if I continue to be discourage with the range, I will send it in for diagnostics.
    My advice to you TURN OFF POP AND put it on Filter 1. Turning off POP will give you more sensitivity
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Newcomer

Forgot to mentioned that I've been running X band/POP off for 2 weeks now along with Filter mode running. I'm hoping the change of location will be the key for range and detections. Thks

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by byteme29 View Post
    Yes this is normal for Whistler -I think the reason is so that if you are running at night and it goes off, it doesnt light up like a Christmas tree to show anyone (like cops) following you. After 15 seconds or so w/ no alert it comes back on.

Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    Yes this is normal for Whistler -I think the reason is so that if you are running at night and it goes off, it doesnt light up like a Christmas tree to show anyone (like cops) following you. After 15 seconds or so w/ no alert it comes back on.
    The above is the Dark mode.

Dim mode is simply that it stays Dim during no alert as well as alert status.

Dark mode is very dim during no alert and OFF during an alert and approx 20 seconds after the alert then it comes back to very dim.

Newcomer

Thanks SuperDave and Michael B. for your response. Feel better knowing the displays goes blank by design on dark mode. That puppy sure does light up like a X-Mas tree on the other settings (which i kinda like).

Newcomer

Well, I decided to contribute to the economy and waste some gas today. I went driving around today to test my 78 and on the way back home coming on south I-35, my radar starts going off and slowly ramped up to full strength upon seeing the the bike leos coming at me. From the time my rd went off and the moment we crossed, it was .6 miles and I had slowed down to psl by the time I saw them. Do you guys think this is a good amount of range considering they were coming at me? This radar stuff is addicting!!

Professional

if he is comming towards u it will be a 1.2 mile detection. good range.

Experienced

your pro78 sounds like mine. im still 50/50 on sending it back in, i dont want to hear from mike b that is performance is within acceptable levels

Keep in mind that Ka band radar guns output a much narrower cone of radar compared to older K or X band radar guns. Thus you only get huge 2 mile plus ranges if the radar gun is pointed directly towards you, if the road is straight and flat with no obstructions between you and the radar gun, and if atmospheric humidity is pretty low. During the humid summertime in my locale which has winding and hilly and wooded terrain, I generally only get 1.5 to 2 mile maximum alerts against Ka band. Guys, there is nothing wrong with your Pro78 RDs. Driving terrain and humidity can severely limit the range of all of the best radar detectors. This is why I hate Ka band! Even K band range gets reduced in very humid conditions. For example, on extremely dry days I get some specific alerts to K band door openers while driving around town that I don't get when it is really humid. X band radar is the least affected by humidity.