Radar Fanatic

Default Whistler PRO-78 vs. Whistler XTR690

Hey guys, I have a question. I've heard that these two detectors are basically the same except for on the PRO78 the screen is brighter. I will be doing mostly highway driving and am not exactly sure what the cops in my area use.

Is there anything big I should know about either of these? I am leaning towards the PRO78 unless I am missing something...

Thanks,

Chris

EDIT: Ah, nice list you have going. I looked at your sticky of Radar by town and for mine it says
    Citrus County: K
    Just some extra information

EDIT2: Also, another question. If I buy a Pro 78 from Amazon, would it be Rev 3 or is it just chance? Thanks again.
    Last edited by Zapple; 09-02-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Power User

Default Re: Whistler PRO-78 vs. Whistler XTR690

Quote Originally Posted by Zapple View Post
    Hey guys, I have a question. I've heard that these two detectors are basically the same except for on the PRO78 the screen is brighter. I will be doing mostly highway driving and am not exactly sure what the cops in my area use.

Is there anything big I should know about either of these? I am leaning towards the PRO78 unless I am missing something...

Thanks,

Chris

EDIT: Ah, nice list you have going. I looked at your sticky of Radar by town and for mine it says
    Citrus County: K
    Just some extra information

EDIT2: Also, another question. If I buy a Pro 78 from Amazon, would it be Rev 3 or is it just chance? Thanks again.
    Just buy from a authorized dealer so u get your 3 year warranty.The Whistler xtr-695 is a little better in performance

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jag42 View Post
    Just buy from a authorized dealer so u get your 3 year warranty.The Whistler xtr-695 is a little better in performance
    Are there authorized dealers online? (Radarbusters/eBay?) And I don't see the XTR-695 on Radarbusters.com, only the Pro 78 and XTR-690... Would there be a big difference between the 690 and 695? And what about the Pro78 vs XTR-690?

Thanks
    Last edited by Zapple; 09-02-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Experienced

Ill point out the unique features of the three

Pro 78
    This one has the best screen. I really like it in my convertible jeep where the sun is really strong on it. The 78 also includes a hard wire kit and a non-slip dash pad which I really like when using one of my other cars. I don't to remove my perfectly leveled bracket, just use the pad.

Xtr-690
    Same performance as the 78. The screen is a bit worse and people complain that it can be difficult to read in strong sun. The 690 has a volt meter and a compass which can be useful if your car doesn't have a compass.

Xtr-695
    Brand new, just came out. Has the same screen as the 690. A new feature with this unit is that you can change the color of the screen. It should be a bit better performance wise, but it is still built on the same platform as the 78/690 so I wont be too noticeable. What will be noticeable is much less laser false alerts as it calculates the pulse rate and identifies it as police or not. Also it will display the Ka band frequency so you can figure out if it is a legit alert or a false. o ya, and a head phone jack for certain accessories.

If the few extra bucks isn't a problem, def get the 695. buyradardetectors.com is one of the auth dealers selling the 695
    Last edited by kuba; 09-02-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Good Citizen

You can get from ebay and you will get the warranty. Whistler is strict on holding dealers to MAP price but they will honor the warranty regardless as long as its a new sealed unit you purchase. The Pro-78's are around $130 shipped on ebay and the XTR-695's are at $149.95 or so. I would go with the 695 because for a few bucks more you get some nice extras.

Radar Fanatic

Thank you kuba for the run-down on the three types, I appreciate it. And thanks radardude for that information also. Judging by the responses I think I will go with the 695, I hope it works good.