Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Not detecting cops?

So I just got my Whistler Pro 78 yesterday, went out for a little trial run, the only thing I did was turn pop off. I passed two cops yesterday, and I figured maybe they just had their radar's off?

But today on the way home from work, there was a cop i passed and the pro-78 didn't make a sound. And while I was on the highway I got behind a deputy sheriff, and again no radar.

That's 4 cop cars I've seen without a radar. When I pull into my work shopping center, I get all kind of K band and x band alerts from the door operners. And while I was on the highway I did get a k band for like 10 secs, while behind that one officer but then it went away.

Are these cops just not using their radars, or should I give it a couple of more days to test it out?

My friend has a 8500 x50, and he says he always gets k band and ka band hits from cops, and his works extremely well, and he has never seen any of the cops using laser, so I would guess they all use radar. Any suggestions? I have it mounted in the center right underneath my rvm.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Not detecting cops?

More than likely they just do not have their radars on.

Newcomer

Yes It's only my second day so I'll keep trying. Hopefully that's what it is.

Professional

Yes you have to give it more time. I pass countless LEOs not equipped with radar or simply have their radar units turned off but when a LEO does have his radar on or is using instant on, my Pro 78 has shined each and every time.

Good Citizen

yea i mean it is not a cop detector, there are times when i drive all day long and see alot of leos but none of them have their radar. so give it some more time. today is like the only time i had found a leo running radar 35.5 ka since a week i half know.

Good Citizen

Far and away my experience of LEO's just driving down the road is with their radars off.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Far and away my experience of LEO's just driving down the road is with their radars off.
    I'd guess the LEOs I see are about 80% off and 20% on.

Newcomer

Here's the update. I have now passed 8 cops and it hasn't gone off. and now even when I pull into my shopping center, I don't even get the door openers x band and k band alerts. So I think the ups driver dropped my box or something when he delivered it to me. So my friend got his passport and hooked it up in my car, and I had the pro 78 there too, and he was picking up 2 x bands and 1 k band, and the whistler didn't pick up anything. And then he got a ka hit, and a cop drove by, so I was debating on wheather I should of pmed Michael B or not, but I'm getting a replacement unit from Amazon. They are sending me a new one, and It will get here Monday. So I guess I just got a faulty one? Because It just wasn't picking up anything, the first day it picked up those x band door openers, but after that it never picked them up again. :/

Thanks for everyone that responded!

Newcomer

Here's the real update.

I got a new pro 78 sent to me, and it has been great. When I was driving home yesterday I was almost home, and I got a K band hit, and I was like what? It must be a cop because I'm in my neighbor hood, and sure was a cop sitting off to the side of the road clockin people, I was so excited. It detected my first cop.

And then today it has amazed me, I got called in to work at 5pm, so I was a little upset because I had to fight 5 o clock traffic, and as soon as I pulled out of my driveway, I got a KA band, I was like whaaaa, woohoo! As I get closer, there was two deputy sheriifs and a ambulance, something happened at some house. And then I get on the highway and blah blah, then I get off the highway, and I'm doing about 50, and then out of no where it said PULSE! and then KA pop 6 or 7. I don't know where the cop was, I didn't even see him, but that alert scared me to death! It was awesome. So I guess I just had a defective unit before, but now I love the pro 78. It's awesome <3.

Good Citizen

May have better luck if you turn PoP off. According to past posts it makes the detector more sensitive.