Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default Resons for falsing on Whistlers

For all of you Whistler owners out there and even some of the other brands this might give you some insight into why your unit may false.

After seeing the test results from my PRO58 on POP Mike from Whistler contacted me and wanted me to send in my detector to make sure everything was in spec.

Heard from Mike today and he said it was in spec and gave me some insight as to why these units may false

Here is what he had to say:
    The falsing problem is unfortunately due to the 9,
    10, and 11 band Cobra models and other models built around the 9 band
    platform by BG Tech including come Uniden, Radio Shack, Early Warning, and PNI units built a few years ago.
    The issue is the frequency plan they use and the sweep and park rates.
    The 9 band models park at 12.180 for 120ms every 240ms. The 2nd
    harmonic of this is at the upper edge of K band.

The 10 model parks at 11.350 for 50ms every 350ms and causes Ka alerts as the 3rd harmonic is 34Ghz.
    The 11 band model does not park unless you engage Spectre and or VG2. When you engage Spectre the unit parks for 60ms at 11.1 every 428ms.

This can cause Ka at 33.3Ghz and our unit detects Kafrom 33.2 to 36Ghz. When you engage VG2 on the 11 band unit, thefrequency parks at 10.950 for 35ms or more every 260ms. The 2nd harmonic of this is 21.9Ghz and falls into our low side image during our K band.
    Our K band is 24.0 -24.275 with a low side image of 21.9-22.24 We use a fast scan during POP on and a slower scan during POP off.

When the unit is in POP on and running the fast scan it is eligible for POP, but if the unit sees a signal it will go to the slower scan to get a better look at it. During the slow scan, the POP% is around 50%.

As you can see if another radar detector was around that was left on during our test this could have affected the POP results we got as well.

Just thought I would share this information with you.

Professional

thanks for the info i am planing to get the whistler pro 73 soon from radar busters will keep everyone posted 8)

carlito

Speed Demon

Thanks for the info!! It makes sense 8)

Lead Foot

Thats awesome info,, death to all low-end pos's! lol

Err wait, let them use it, they'll get caught.

ES13Raven

I have had my Pro 58 for a few months now, and I have a better opinion on it based on falses and being lit up by several LEOs...

My opinion now is that you cannot beat the Whistler Pro 58 for the money. Are the $400+ detectors a little better? Yes, but they are not 5x better and do not justify 5x the price.

The only falses I get are known automatic door sensors on the K and Ka band. I know when I drive through Best Buy/Target/CompUSA parking lot, that I am going to get a 6-9 strength reading on K and Ka.

Other falses I get are from people with Cobra and other poorly designed detectors. I followed a guy the other day who had a Cobra in the middle of his windshield. He was giving me falses of 3-4 strength on the Ka band. When I stopped following him, the falses went away.

As far as other people getting falses with the 58, I think it depends on where you live and what things are causing the falses in your area. Get to know your area, and learn where falses are always going to be. Otherwise it is normally another driver in the area with a Cobra or other poorly designed detector.

The Pro 58 has saved my butt on numerous occasions, and has definitely paid for itself. I get early warnings on a strait road even before I could see the CHP.

Definitely the best bang for the buck 8)

Lead Foot

Default Re: Resons for falsing on Whistlers

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman
    For all of you Whistler owners out there and even some of the other brands this might give you some insight into why your unit may false.

After seeing the test results from my PRO58 on POP Mike from Whistler contacted me and wanted me to send in my detector to make sure everything was in spec.

Heard from Mike today and he said it was in spec and gave me some insight as to why these units may false

Here is what he had to say:
    The falsing problem is unfortunately due to the 9,
    10, and 11 band Cobra models and other models built around the 9 band
    platform by BG Tech including come Uniden, Radio Shack, Early Warning, and PNI units built a few years ago.
    The issue is the frequency plan they use and the sweep and park rates.
    The 9 band models park at 12.180 for 120ms every 240ms. The 2nd
    harmonic of this is at the upper edge of K band.

The 10 model parks at 11.350 for 50ms every 350ms and causes Ka alerts as the 3rd harmonic is 34Ghz.
    The 11 band model does not park unless you engage Spectre and or VG2. When you engage Spectre the unit parks for 60ms at 11.1 every 428ms.

This can cause Ka at 33.3Ghz and our unit detects Kafrom 33.2 to 36Ghz. When you engage VG2 on the 11 band unit, thefrequency parks at 10.950 for 35ms or more every 260ms. The 2nd harmonic of this is 21.9Ghz and falls into our low side image during our K band.
    Our K band is 24.0 -24.275 with a low side image of 21.9-22.24 We use a fast scan during POP on and a slower scan during POP off.

When the unit is in POP on and running the fast scan it is eligible for POP, but if the unit sees a signal it will go to the slower scan to get a better look at it. During the slow scan, the POP% is around 50%.

As you can see if another radar detector was around that was left on during our test this could have affected the POP results we got as well.

Just thought I would share this information with you.
    So this is the reason when I had both detectors hooked up the Cobra ESD-9850 and the Whistler 1793 SE, the Whister was going off on K band. Then again I didn't think there were that many people out there with detectors. Also a long time ago there was a product available (for those people that don't like others with RD) that was suppose to trick people with radar detectors a small looking box like a garage door opener that set off radar detectors or as they say "used for testing purposes" but this only made the X-band go off on the person in front or in back of you and we all know about X band.

Advanced Member

You mean something like these:

Electronic Rainbow was forced to quit selling them by the FCC.
    You can get K band units too...

There are even combination units out there that do K, Ka, and laser:
    http://www.target-automotive.nl/wcms.php?wcms[id]=97

Jim

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz

Jim
    Yes except it was white on top. So you can still get this one that activates the K band? How about both K/KA bands? :P

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz

Jim
    Well it looks to me they are still in business selling an even better product except they are not in the United States.

Lead Foot

[quote="LS2"][quote="jimbonzzz"]You mean something like these:

What is the price on one of these? The one they had out for X-band must have been the Zapper 1.