Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Whistler 1783 Speaker.....

I have a Whistler 1783 and I really liked it because it had everything I needed without the annoying features I didnt like....I did a little research before buying it.

A month after purchasing it the speaker died. I contacted Whistler and it seemed like they had no problem replacing it for me. But for some reason I got lazy and never sent it back. Then a LONG time passed, I'm talking like a year or so. Hahaha

Obviously I dont expect them to still warranty it nor do I feel like going through the hassle of packaging it up and sending it too them.

Well I took it apart and diagnosed a failed speaker. I cant find a replacement though. The speaker says DS 30-16HBC2 16ohm 0.5w on the back.

I'm hoping there will be "that guy" on this forum who can get there hands on OEM whistler parts however any generic speaker with the same spec and size will work too.

Thanks for any help guys...

-Ryan

Default Re: Whistler 1783 Speaker.....

I'm sorry I meant to type 1793 model, not 1783....Dunno if there is a difference but the manual says 1783/1793SE while the actual detector says 1793.

Power User

I would recommend to upgrade to a Xtr 690,Pro 78,Xtr 695 for better protection now days ! If your interested in the Pro 78 click on my video link below !

Quote Originally Posted by Jag42 View Post
    I would recommend to upgrade to a Xtr 690,Pro 78,Xtr 695 for better protection now days ! If your interested in the Pro 78 click on my video link below !
    I appreciate the suggestion, oddly enough I just got done watching your video from another thread. Nice vid...

As much as I'd like to go with a different model I dont have the finances to justify it. I drive my car about 5000 miles a year and I try not to speed.

After getting pulled over last night (new years eve) I started wondering what happened to my radar detector so I found it and diagnosed the problem. I was hoping for a couple bucks (radio shack sells similar speakers for 2 bucks) I could get it back an running again....

If I do purchase another radar detector, in the distant future it will unlikely be a Whistler (seriously the first one I ever bought didnt last a month before breaking). Other the reliability I liked the unit a lot....

Manufacturer

Sent you an IM

Speed Demon

I know a guy who had an old uniden RD with a dead speaker. He wired up an old beep speaker out of a computer case and taped it to the bottom of the RD.
    It looked like crap but worked a treat.

Thanks guys, it appears Michael B has got it all taken care of.

Old Timer

See, what did I tell ya about Whistler's C/S. Michael B is the best!

Yeah I really appreciate it TSI+WRX. I'd still be running around junky computer stores tearing apart walky talky's without your suggest to check over here....haha
    Last edited by CynicX; 01-02-2009 at 07:42 AM.

Old Timer

Glad to help out a fellow Scooby brother. No thanks needed!