Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default XTR-140 road trip & interesting encounter

Just took a 600 mile round trip from LA to Mammoth with the XTR-140. Both my myself and my wife were VERY impressed with this $40 detector. Had at least 4 Ka saves (CHP) and 2 K saves (Bishop PD). I must say, the CHP was out in full force this weekend, but the XTR-140 saved the day. Definitely wouldn't have seen them without it.

We did have a rather interesting encounter with a CHP cruiser along Hwy 395 though. We had just passed about 4-5 slower cars in a particularly hilly section. Upon cresting one of the hills, we saw a CHP cruiser sitting in the median about a 1/4 mile away (maybe less) pointed in our direction. We immediately hit the brakes and dropped to the PSL. We know he saw us as he turned his head and stared at us as we passed. It had to have been pretty obvious that we hit the brakes, but he didn't bother to pull us over.

The XTR-140 didn't make a sound, so I doubt he had his radar on. Could it be that he was using I/O, and we out-braked him? I'd think the detector would have gone off if that were the case. Maybe the traffic behind us didn't allow him to pull out and go after us? I'm stumped, anyone have any theories?

Oh, and he couldn't have been using laser as all his windows were rolled up.
    Last edited by WhistlerUser; 03-02-2009 at 12:09 AM.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: XTR-140 road trip & interesting encounter

Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerUser View Post
    Just took a 600 mile round trip from LA to Mammoth with the XTR-140. Both my myself and my wife were VERY impressed with this $40 detector. Had at least 4 Ka saves (CHP) and 2 K saves (Bishop PD). I must say, the CHP was out in full force this weekend, but the XTR-140 saved the day. Definitely wouldn't have seen them without it.

We did have a rather interesting encounter with a CHP cruiser along Hwy 395 though. We had just passed about 4-5 slower cars in a particularly hilly section. Upon cresting one of the hills, we saw a CHP cruiser sitting in the median about a 1/4 mile away (maybe less) pointed in our direction. We immediately hit the brakes and dropped to the PSL. We know he saw us as he turned his head and stared at us as we passed. It had to have been pretty obvious that we hit the brakes, but he didn't bother to pull us over.

The XTR-140 didn't make a sound, so I doubt he had his radar on. Could it be that he was using I/O, and we out-braked him? I'd think the detector would have gone off if that were the case. Maybe the traffic behind us didn't allow him to pull out and go after us? I'm stumped, anyone have any theories?
    Either he hit you with I/O and your RD didn't alert or he didn't hit you with radar. If he he hit you with radar and your RD didn't alert, then it's anyone's guess as to why you didn't get a ticket.

Oh, he also wasn't using laser as all his windows were rolled up.
    Don't be so sure. LEOs have been known to use laser through windows and windshields. I can tag cars with ease out my side windows with my PLII. My front windshield is too sloped, so I am not able to use laser out my front windshield(and believe me, I've tried), but I'd bet LEOs in Crown Vics with windshields with a lot less slope have little trouble attaining speed readings through the windshield with a laser gun.

How long does I/O take to get a reading? I remember seeing a YouTube video taken by an officer using I/O where the lag time was a few seconds. Might just be enough time to slow to the PSL.

Yoda of Radar

How long does I/O take to get a reading? I remember seeing a YouTube video taken by an officer using I/O where the lag time was a few seconds. Might just be enough time to slow to the PSL.
    No, the lag time is not a few seconds. It's basically instantaneous, unless the target is not in range. Radar waves travel at the speed of light. No one can sucessfully outbrake I/O.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYCuoMssfnI&feature=channel"]YouTube - Stalker Stationary Radar DSR2X Police Radar Instant On Mode[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJVOQ_9SBT4&feature=channel"][/ame]
    Last edited by djrams80; 03-02-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    ...No one can successfully outbrake I/O.
    This was possible 20 to 25 years ago, but there is absolutely no chance to do so against more modern radar guns. I thought I would mention this in order to dispel a long-standing myth that this is still possible to do today.

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    This was possible 20 to 25 years ago, but there is absolutely no chance to do so against more modern radar guns. I thought I would mention this in order to dispel a long-standing myth that this is still possible to do today.
    Good to know. Guess we just got lucky.

Power User

More than likely:

(1) Your cop after noticing you didn't fumble around quickly enough to grab his LIDAR gun or find the HOLD switch on his dash unit and by the time he got everything in order you've slowed down. I guess this is the modern equivalent of braking IO

(2) Your cop was shooting for bigger fish on the road.

I highly doubt in any weather conditions one can outbrake modern radar guns' IO when you can make visual identification of the patrolcar.

Professional

Even the older Whistlers provide good protection. I've taken out my old Whistlers for drives even though I have the XTR-695. Some of these have better protection than a Cobra that cost twice as much.

Power User

Whistlers are GREAT at providing consistent, reliable protection, even though their entry level models don't match our veterans' expectations in terms of raw sensitivity.

You never end up with like a Cobra situation where on one band (34.7) it can provide over 1 mile detection but on another band (35.5) it misses POINT BLANK shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Divewjason View Post
    Even the older Whistlers provide good protection. I've taken out my old Whistlers for drives even though I have the XTR-695. Some of these have better protection than a Cobra that cost twice as much.
    Is the XTR-140 capable of detecting I/O?

PS - We've got an XTR-695 on the way. Should be here by midweek to become a permanent fixture in the wife's car.