Thread: Pro-73 Problem

Default Pro-73 Problem

I have a Pro-73 that I got a good deal on from ebay, I've had the detector for a little longer than a year and absolutely love it. About 4 months ago the speaker died no big deal I called up whistler and they send me a replacement for $10. Well last week I was passing by an area I always go by on my commute where they have x-band emitters set up on poles so I hit one of the buttons to mute it, then after reaching my destination and retuning to my vehicle the sound was dead. I thought the speaker might have died again so when I got home I opened up the detector and tested the speaker with my multi meter, the speaker was fine. Just to be sure I went to radio shack and purchased a small speaker, hooked it up to the detector and still no sound. So something has happened internally with the detector that its not outputting sounds but still visually displays alerts. I did the factory reset and still no luck. I was playing with holding different buttons to see if I could find some diagnostic menus. I found that by holding the power and city button the detector would display the model and revision, in addition it also displayed something more interesting. After displaying the model number it displays "SHUTDOWN", and then proceeds to flash "ERROR".

So now I;m stuck and not sure what to do I rely heavily on my detector daily and now driving with out it really sucks. I'am fairly electronics intelligent, I'am currently attending school to become a network engineer. So I know my way around a soldering iron and a magnifying glass.

Money is tight this month otherwise I would probably just purchase a Pro-78, although I would like to wait for the new models to be released before upgrading.

My questions is if any has any idea whats causing this problem I imagine its a problem with some component on the PCB board but not entirely sure which one. If anyone seen this error before and found a solution or could provide any insight into a temporary fix the help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Default Re: Pro-73 Problem

Hi bmxrider379,

Welcome to the forum!

Try resetting your Pro73 to its factory default settings. Sometimes a power glitch can cause the stored user settings to get corrupted, and resetting the detector usually fixes any weird issues. Here is how to do it:

Reset Features
    All user features can be reset to factory settings.
    •Unplug Power Cord from unit.
    •Press and hold Power and Quiet.
    •Plug Power Cord into unit.
    •Wait for 2 beeps.
    •Release Power and Quiet buttons.
    Unit is now reset.

Default factory settings are:
    1. Audio to level (4).
    2. Display reads Highway. (Pro-73 only)
    ’H’ illuminates on Pro-58
    3. Dim/Dark Mode to full illumination of display.
    4. Auto Quiet Mode OFF.
    5. VG-2 Detection Mode OFF.
    6. Safety ON.
    7. Vehicle Battery Saver ON.
    8. Full Power Up sequence.
    9. Default TONE 3.
    10. POP ON
    11. Voice On (Pro-73 only)
    12. Unit ON or OFF.

Power User

The Pro 73 served me very well. My only complaint that there was no filtering at all so alot of Cobra falses and other sources set it off. Wait for the new releases coming out soon. PM Mike B he is a Engineer for Whistler on your problem.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Jag42 View Post
    The Pro 73 served me very well. My only complaint that there was no filtering at all so alot of Cobra falses and other sources set it off. Wait for the new releases coming out soon. PM Mike B he is a Engineer for Whistler on your problem.
    "no filtering at all" is probably a bit too harsh of criticism, but it was fairly vulnerable to K/Ka blip falses from noisy detectors.