Default corcerning the "Filters" on the Xtr 695

What is best for Highway mode? Does the filters affect the detection range?

Professional

Default Re: corcerning the "Filters" on the Xtr 695

Filters doesn't affect detection range, it just increases the time that the RD takes to check if a signal is legit or not. First try just Filter mode, then if you get a lot of alerts from other RDs such as Cobras switch to Filter 1 etc. The only difference is the time it takes the RD to process the signal. Filter = 100ms, Filter 1 = 200ms and Filter 2 = 300ms as far as I remember.

I personally run with Filter 1 due to the loads of leaky RDs in my area and don't see any difference with range/performance

I agree with cooljay. I generally used Filter 1 on my Pro78 while testing it since I quickly found out that Filter 1 versus Filter managed to eliminate most falses from Cobras. I too didn't see any noticeable drop in detection range when switching from Filter to Filter 1. Filter 2 did seem to very slightly drop the maximum detection range, but with Filter 2 virtually eliminated all Cobra falses.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    I agree with cooljay. I generally used Filter 1 on my Pro78 while testing it since I quickly found out that Filter 1 versus Filter managed to eliminate most falses from Cobras. I too didn't see any noticeable drop in detection range when switching from Filter to Filter 1. Filter 2 did seem to very slightly drop the maximum detection range, but with Filter 2 virtually eliminated all Cobra falses.
    Signals at the edge of your detectable range probably appear bursty/lossy in nature, and it probably takes a bit more signal strength to hold steady enough for the filter to accept it.

I like that Whistler gives us the choice of how much filtering we desire.

So I will do some playing around and see what works best, I think Filter 1 will work fine for those leaky rd's and weaker signals for the hwy and city.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    Signals at the edge of your detectable range probably appear bursty/lossy in nature, and it probably takes a bit more signal strength to hold steady enough for the filter to accept it.

I like that Whistler gives us the choice of how much filtering we desire.
    x2. Filter mode WILL effect your real-world range. However, it will have almost no effect on pure sensitivity tests (low speed, line of sight).

This is the reason Whistlers perform better in the real world than some tests suggest.