Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Can't see display on XTR-690SE in the sun...

I used my 690SE today for the first time on a 250 mile trip. The RD is mounted on my dash in the center of the car against the windshield. For a significant portion of the trip I could not see the display or had to make an effort to make out what was displayed on the display when the sun was shining on it, which was most of the trip here in sunny SoCal. This was despite the level set to the max brightness.

That annoys me as I ordered the 690SE over the 695SE as I thought the red LED display would be easier to see in day or night.

Is the 695SE or 78SE clearly visible in the sun? I'm planning to return my 690SE for either a Pro 78SE or 695SE but I want something that is visibly with the sun hitting the unit on the dash.

Street Lawyer

Default Re: Can't see display on XTR-690SE in the sun...

meh

Speed Demon

I have 78se and 690se..
    But Blue LED light on 78se is much brighter and easier to see during day/night...

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by sniper4usmc View Post
    I have 78se and 690se..
    But Blue LED light on 78se is much brighter and easier to see during day/night...
    In your experience is the RD performance identical on both? I thought the blue would be harder to see. Blue would actually match the color of my interior dash lights.

Mount the detector just under the rear view mirror this will shield the display from the sun. This is also where the detector should be anyway.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by whistlerfan View Post
    Mount the detector just under the rear view mirror this will shield the display from the sun. This is also where the detector should be anyway.
    By what I have researched, that is a poor position to capture laser. At 1000 feet the IR beam is only 3 feet wide. The preferred spot to aim the laser gun is the front plate or the headlamp. Mounting the RD under the rear view mirror will likely be higher than the IR beam leading to degraded, if any, laser detection.

Last edited by 904nm; 08-10-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Actually if your depending on it detecting direct laser for a warning then forget it. Because that's all a low mount is gonna do for ya. The detector will just tell you, you got a ticket. A higher mount will improve your chance of a scatter alert. You want the detector to be able to see the other drivers windshield. If you mount low all the detector can see is the other guys bumper. A laser scatter is really your only hope of a warning you can get with a radar detector. I have been shot many times by laser and have a laser jammer. A below the rear view mirror position increases your odds of picking up scatter. As a laser beam can disperse at really sharp angles. Some of which have a strong tendency to point out and up or to the sides. This topic was discussed very heavy a long long time ago and pretty much exhausted. Most people came to the conclusion and finally agreed at that time below the rear view mirror was the best area for a radar detector it offered the best compromise all around. If your in a truck mount low if your in a car mount high was pretty much was the final say on it. Some will still mount low and thats ok its whatever makes you feel most comfortable. Micheal B couple years ago recommend a mount below the rear view mirror.
    Last edited by whistlerfan; 06-17-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Speed Demon

Good points to consider. I'll have to look into that some more. I am planning on doing a few things to reduce my laser profile. Not sure if with passive measures alone it is possible to get enough time to slow down. I'm pretty creative and resourceful so I will give it a good shot anyway. With that being that case, I may want to keep it low.

Whistler still should have put in brighter LED lights. Today without direct light on it I barely could see it when I put on my sun glasses.

I ended up ordering a 9500ix to replace the Whistler. There are just so many sources of false signals around here that I needed something that is not going off all the time to desensitize me to the warnings. If my passive measures are inadequate, I figure the 9500ix makes is easy to go to plan B - adding a jammer.

Founder of Stealthvation

I have no problems seeing my 690SE in the sun. Now the 695 was a different story
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Speed Demon

Decide for yourself... Here she is in 5pm afternoon sun that is not shining directly onto the display. It is worse when the sun is coming full brightness from high and behind directly onto the display. It is dim and when you put on sunglasses it is barely visible if visible at all. Maybe something is wrong with my unit. The max brightness it what I would consider a "dim" setting. The second photo is with a visor pulled over the windshield. You can see that even when it is shaded in the car, it is not a bright display.

Last edited by 904nm; 08-10-2009 at 01:56 AM.