Thread: Pro-68 Review

Good Citizen

Default Pro-68 Review

Well, my best friend graduated from high school after summer school advancement classes and I decided to give him a gift. My budget was $100. He had barely bought a smoking hot truck (Body kit, rims, custom interior, the works) so I decided to get him something for his truck. I could either get him an entry level TomTom GPS with no voice or anything or a new Whistler RD. Every since I got into RDs I was very interested in the Pro-68, so I got him that one.

I had it for two weeks, I mounted it high above the RVM where my XTR-690 used to be. I DID NOT RUN THEM AT THE SAME TIME. Anyway, I did a bit of City driving, but more highway driving. In the city, where I know my falses, it detected the falses FARTHER than my XTR-690. (1 X false, 1 K false). And I'm talking about 200ft farther.

When I went to WalMart (I'm lucky that those Walmart's in my area use the optical door sensors) I got a strong alert to K band. Well, right in front of me, is a truck with an Cobra ESD7000. Once the truck moved away more, the alert stopped.

In K and Ka 34.7 band it provides respectable performance. I would say that on K band it gives about 1.5mi warning and on Ka 34.7 about 1.7mi to MOVING sources. Some might say 3mi on K band or 3.4mi on Ka but I don't like the idea of just doubling the distance because many more factors are involved. It was 1.5mi and 1.7mi to when the LEO passed me. My XTR-690 provides about 2-2.5mi on K and about 3mi on Ka 34.7.

Screenwise, if it weren't for the "cool" factor, I would take the Pro-68 screen over the XTR-690 ANYDAY. But I still love my 690. Also, as far as I can tell, it does not leak much. I would turn on my Pro-68 and then my XTR-690 and vice versa. The 68 would always alert to the startup of the 690, but the 690 NEVER alerted to the startup of the 68.

Conclusion, the Pro-68 is an excellent BUDGET RD for a 10 or 15 over person. It responds quickly and has pretty good range. However, it may annoy people in big cities because the filtering is not good at all. It's pretty much a raw RD with no voice. My only gripes is the filtering and the fact that it could be louder, it was hard to hear with loud music.
    Last edited by Güero; 08-10-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Pro-68 Review

I forgot to mention that my thoughts are that it alerted sooner to my falses because of it's sucky filtering. Also, the RD was run with POP off, VG-2 Off, X on, K on, Ka on, Laser on, SWS off, and Filter on. Always on Highway mode.

Speed Demon

Thanks for the review! I was thinking it was kinda equal the the 690.

Good Citizen

Well, it's about 80% the XTR-690. But then again, my XTR-690 is still Rev. B, not C. I know I know, I need to send it in. But I still liked the Pro-68 ALOT. I'll be buying another for my girlfriend.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Güero View Post
    Well, my best friend graduated from high school after summer school advancement classes and I decided to give him a gift. My budget was $100. He had barely bought a smoking hot truck (Body kit, rims, custom interior, the works) so I decided to get him something for his truck. I could either get him an entry level TomTom GPS with no voice or anything or a new Whistler RD. Every since I got into RDs I was very interested in the Pro-68, so I got him that one.

I had it for two weeks, I mounted it high above the RVM where my XTR-690 used to be. I DID NOT RUN THEM AT THE SAME TIME. Anyway, I did a bit of City driving, but more highway driving. In the city, where I know my falses, it detected the falses FARTHER than my XTR-690. (1 X false, 1 K false). And I'm talking about 200ft farther.

When I went to WalMart (I'm lucky that those Walmart's in my area use the optical door sensors) I got a strong alert to K band. Well, right in front of me, is a truck with an Cobra ESD7000. Once the truck moved away more, the alert stopped.

In K and Ka 34.7 band it provides respectable performance. I would say that on K band it gives about 1.5mi warning and on Ka 34.7 about 1.7mi to MOVING sources. Some might say 3mi on K band or 3.4mi on Ka but I don't like the idea of just doubling the distance because many more factors are involved. It was 1.5mi and 1.7mi to when the LEO passed me. My XTR-690 provides about 2-2.5mi on K and about 3mi on Ka 34.7.

Screenwise, if it weren't for the "cool" factor, I would take the Pro-68 screen over the XTR-690 ANYDAY. But I still love my 690. Also, as far as I can tell, it does not leak much. I would turn on my Pro-68 and then my XTR-690 and vice versa. The 68 would always alert to the startup of the 690, but the 690 NEVER alerted to the startup of the 68.

Conclusion, the Pro-68 is an excellent BUDGET RD for a 10 or 15 over person. It responds quickly and has pretty good range. However, it may annoy people in big cities because the filtering is not good at all. It's pretty much a raw RD with no voice. My only gripes is the filtering and the fact that it could be louder, it was hard to hear with loud music.

Welcome to the forums. I hear good things about the Pro 68.

My primary RD is an XTR-695SE but I am just starting to use a Pro78SE.

Old Timer

Thx for your review on the Pro 68. I have never got a chance to test one.