2 16.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Professional

Default Re: Pick a RD for me

Quote Originally Posted by Edwv30 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Divewjason View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior/RW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    Check the results of the Whistler 1788 on this GoL test.

Guys of LIDAR - Radar Detector Test - August 2007

Either of them will do well enough for you so long as you don't drive anymore than 10 over the speed limit. When I first came in here I was using a Whistler 1732 DE and now I've upgraded. It's a slippery slope.
    If I didn't drive more than 10mph over the PSL, I wouldn't need a RD at all.
    10-4, I've never got pulled over for doing up to 20 km/h (12 mph) over the local speed limit, not in a million years I would need to spend my money on an RD, any RD, for driving so... peaceful!
    While this is true in many areas, in areas like mine, people get pulled over for going 10 over all the time. They give out tickets, they just aren't tricky with how they use radar.
    X2. I live in a tourist town with more cops than any place I have ever been. If the city doesn't make money off of tourists spending they make it off of their speeding. There are lots of speed traps here.
    Exactly, and to be honest, our leos are more likely to pull over tourists around here. I lost count of how many Texas plate cars I've seen pulled over around here.

Manufacturer

If that feature sent and price you want to pay will get you a 310 or 330, I would suggest you look at the 335 instead.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    If that feature sent and price you want to pay will get you a 310 or 330, I would suggest you look at the 335 instead.
    Ok thanks I'll look into this.

You asked about experiences from people who own\have used one of these two detectors.

- I own the XTR-330.... it's a great detector for it's price range and has given me some excellent detection.

You asked about about something that would do an ok job with your budget in mind.

- With your budget the XTR-330 will be MORE than ok.

You didn't ask for opinions on older\other Whistler models performance or your driving habits. Sorry about the thread derailing and snide remarks....unfortunately it has become common on the Whistler boards. Avoid the Trolls.
    Haha I don't mind the trolls.. But my driving habits are pretty simple. I'm mostly in the city.. I like to do at least 20 km/h over the speed limit.. thats about it.

Do you have experience with older whistler models? If you do please share your experiences..

Not sure if this was directed at me, but driving habits are important to consider when choosing a radar detector.
    No most likely at DJ and I, sometimes people get upset when they hear the truth... or rather when they don't hear the truth because they choose to ignore it *cue elephant*.

I don't want to the guy to waste his money, when for just a tiny bit more (investment wise) he could get much more (performance wise0... but he doesn't want to hear that... so cue elephant.
    What can I get for a little more money?
    I just bought a car so money is a little tight but in October I plan on getting a laser jammer & the V1.. I need something decent until then.

Yoda of Radar

^^^^

Any of the highest-end Whistler models (which have been listed already) or what I would choose:
    V955 (BEL).

I think for the extra $50 over your price range... they will be exponentially better performers.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by nb23 View Post
    I just bought a car so money is a little tight but in October I plan on getting a laser jammer & the V1.. I need something decent until then.
    Better off waiting 2 months.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    Ok thanks I'll look into this.

You asked about experiences from people who own\have used one of these two detectors.

- I own the XTR-330.... it's a great detector for it's price range and has given me some excellent detection.

You asked about about something that would do an ok job with your budget in mind.

- With your budget the XTR-330 will be MORE than ok.

You didn't ask for opinions on older\other Whistler models performance or your driving habits. Sorry about the thread derailing and snide remarks....unfortunately it has become common on the Whistler boards. Avoid the Trolls.
    Haha I don't mind the trolls.. But my driving habits are pretty simple. I'm mostly in the city.. I like to do at least 20 km/h over the speed limit.. thats about it.

Do you have experience with older whistler models? If you do please share your experiences..

Not sure if this was directed at me, but driving habits are important to consider when choosing a radar detector.
    No most likely at DJ and I, sometimes people get upset when they hear the truth... or rather when they don't hear the truth because they choose to ignore it *cue elephant*.

I don't want to the guy to waste his money, when for just a tiny bit more (investment wise) he could get much more (performance wise0... but he doesn't want to hear that... so cue elephant.
    If you planned on upgrading in two months, it's best just to hang on to your money and don't speed until then.

Newcomer

planned on upgrading in two months, it's best just to hang on to your money and don't speed until then.
    They have stepped up the police presence on the roads here in the last few months.. A lot of under-covers roaming around and me not speeding just won't happen. Speeding isn't my only concern.. My windows are tinted darker then the legal limit and cops down here are always looking for a reason to pull you over so if I have a RD I can just roll them down before the cop sees me.

I'm planning on giving the RD to my girl when I upgrade so they money won't be going to waste.

Professional

planned on upgrading in two months, it's best just to hang on to your money and don't speed until then.
    They have stepped up the police presence on the roads here in the last few months.. A lot of under-covers roaming around and me not speeding just won't happen. Speeding isn't my only concern.. My windows are tinted darker then the legal limit and cops down here are always looking for a reason to pull you over so if I have a RD I can just roll them down before the cop sees me.

I'm planning on giving the RD to my girl when I upgrade so they money won't be going to waste.
    Well, you seemed to have made up your mind. Let us know how the new detector goes.

Newcomer

Well if it helps any, I was able to purchase my XTR-330 off eBay for ~$50. It's my first RD, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'll probably be getting an XTR-695SE when I get some extra spending $, but for the meantime, I don't drive more than 10 over the limit.

I think it's up to you if you decide you can't wait and want a detector now, vs waiting a little and putting that little extra towards a more sensitive RD.

Good luck either way
    Seth