Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Whistler 1793 SE what are your experiences with this detect

I believe this is suppose to be Whistlers top detector if not I would still like to know what are your experiences with this detector. I saw them for sale at Costco for $125.00

Professional

I own the 1773 model which uses the same circuit board as the 1793 without all the added bells and whistles such as the voice recording and compass.
    It is not a bad unit, I think the pro is a little better but not that much better.
    You will get good detection but you will have to deal with the KA falses that Whistler seems to have an issue with.

The 1793 does give you some nice extra goodies like a carry bag and socket multiplier.

Do some reading in this section and you will see there are common reviews and thoughts along with the falses with most of the whistler units.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman
    I own the 1773 model which uses the same circuit board as the 1793 without all the added bells and whistles such as the voice recording and compass.
    It is not a bad unit, I think the pro is a little better but not that much better.
    You will get good detection but you will have to deal with the KA falses that Whistler seems to have an issue with.

The 1793 does give you some nice extra goodies like a carry bag and socket multiplier.

Do some reading in this section and you will see there are common reviews and thoughts along with the falses with most of the whistler units.

I noticed that you have a Valentine One. How do you like it? I'm considering getting one but it is so large compared to other detectors but it does have that arrow function unless the arrows are just a gimmick expensive at $400+ with accessories. What do you think?

Lead Foot

Yes the Whistler is a nice detector and I paid 125.00 for it. I can still return it too for a full refund.
    I notice the Whistler picks up more K and KA signals compared to the Cobra 9850 detector that I also have. Unfortunately on the Cobra (getting left behind no pop or WU band) you can't turn the X band off like you can on the Whistler.
    I may seriously get a V-1.

Professional

Cobra's XRS 9700 detects POP radar, and supposedly they'll be releasing a new model that detects Ku soon.

At least, they're supposed to detect POP and Ku. If there's one thing anyone should know about Crapras, it's that what they claim to detect and what they actually detect can be two very different things.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Cobra's XRS 9700 detects POP radar, and supposedly they'll be releasing a new model that detects Ku soon.

At least, they're supposed to detect POP and Ku. If there's one thing anyone should know about Crapras, it's that what they claim to detect and what they actually detect can be two very different things.
    I got an older Cobra ESD 9850 and I put it next to the whistler 1793 SE and the Cobra leaks, trips the K band in Whistler. Aren't Cobra detectors known to leak?

Professional

Yes Cobras do tend to cause other detectors to false.
    For the money you spent on the 1793 you have a good detector.

As far as the V1 vs the whistler yes the price is 3 times more on the V1 but to me it is worth every bit of the difference.

The detection range is so much better than the Whislter or any of the other units I own.
    Also having that piece of mind knowing if I get an alert from the V1 it is most likey to be a real threat!

Lead Foot

Yes Cobras do tend to cause other detectors to false.
    For the money you spent on the 1793 you have a good detector.

As far as the V1 vs the whistler yes the price is 3 times more on the V1 but to me it is worth every bit of the difference.

The detection range is so much better than the Whislter or any of the other units I own.
    Also having that piece of mind knowing if I get an alert from the V1 it is most likey to be a real threat!
    I see your point I just wish the V-1 especially for $400 was more streamlined and had more bells n whistles like SWS, compass, human voice warnings. Also the V-1 seems sort of outdated in erogonics compared to the other detectors at half the price. The V-1 is never on sale so I'm not in a rush but the Pro-97 1000 channel trunktracking scanner is right now for $149.95 at Radio Shack so I would get this before the V-1.
    I can also still return the Whistler at 125.00 and get a full refund to apply to a V-1 or the Scanner purchase.
    Sort of at a standstill on returning the Whistler as I do like the design on it. It fits in the car perfectly but the KA and K bands do go off more.
    It isn't as user friendly so using the instruction booklet is a MUST.

Professional

I'm actually partial to the V1's design. It looks like an older detector, and therefore is less attractive to the average homeless guy looking to steal and sell a detector for his next fix (the most common type of car theif in Phoenix) than that shiny, silver, streamlined Crapra in the car next to yours.

Honestly, stick-on compasses cost $3.50. SWS is useless, as no emergency vehicles use it (which Cobra will readily admit--call them and ask how many metropolitan agencies use SWS, and they'll tell you straight-up that it's basically useless), and human voice warnings, eh, I never did care much for them. I'd rather just have my detector give me a clear, identifiable beep for each of the three major bands and a different one for laser than have it sit there and constantly say "K-A alert, be careful. K-A alert, be careful."

You really can't do better than the Valentine as detectors go. If I were to put together some kind of heirarchy for detectors, it would go like this:

1. Valentine
    2. Belscort
    3. Whistler
    4. Crapra
    5. PNI
    6. Unidung, Radio Sh*t, various "el-cheapo" units.
    7. A squirrel strapped to your dashboard (you'd have to deal with lots of false squeaks)
    8. RMR

The high-end Whistlers like the 1793 and the Pro series are really good detectors for the money, and the low-end 1730 series make great backups.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    I'm actually partial to the V1's design. It looks like an older detector, and therefore is less attractive to the average homeless guy looking to steal and sell a detector for his next fix (the most common type of car theif in Phoenix) than that shiny, silver, streamlined Crapra in the car next to yours.

Honestly, stick-on compasses cost $3.50. SWS is useless, as no emergency vehicles use it (which Cobra will readily admit--call them and ask how many metropolitan agencies use SWS, and they'll tell you straight-up that it's basically useless), and human voice warnings, eh, I never did care much for them. I'd rather just have my detector give me a clear, identifiable beep for each of the three major bands and a different one for laser than have it sit there and constantly say "K-A alert, be careful. K-A alert, be careful."

You really can't do better than the Valentine as detectors go. If I were to put together some kind of heirarchy for detectors, it would go like this:

1. Valentine
    2. Belscort
    3. Whistler
    4. Crapra
    5. PNI
    6. Unidung, Radio Sh*t, various "el-cheapo" units.
    7. A squirrel strapped to your dashboard (you'd have to deal with lots of false squeaks)
    8. RMR

The high-end Whistlers like the 1793 and the Pro series are really good detectors for the money, and the low-end 1730 series make great backups.
    I guess I better hold off that 27 inch flat screen Panasonic with DVD/VCR player.
    Don't forget the combined use with a scanner also helps regardless of which detector you have.