Newcomer

Default New at detectors. got few questions

Hello guys. I just got my first radar/laser dectators. Whistler 1733

I want to ask you masters at dectators.

1. What is K, X, Ka bands stands for, is there any special meaning for it?

2. What is VG-2 Cloaking mode. how does it work

3. What is safety warning system. Tell me what it does and how it will work

4. Can these dectors detect police/patrol cars/motorcycle polices around the area? when they dont got their speed guns turned on? so you can be alert alwyas?

Please answer all the questions for me. Thanks

Professional

1. K-band is the most commonly-used police radar today. Ka-band is working to overtake it quickly, and most new orders are for Ka-band guns. Ka is also much more dangerous than K, as it is harder for detectors to pick up. X-band is falling out of use quickly as it's very easy to detect, but you'll still come across it in New Jersey, Ohio, and rural areas.

2. VG-2 cloaking mode makes your detector invisible to the VG-2 detector detector. It's only useful in areas where detectors are illegal and the much better Spectre is not employed (i.e., Virginia).

3. SWS is BS. There is no point to it, as no safety agency uses it. If anyone did, SWS would alert you when an ambulance, firetruck, or police car was coming up fast behind you with sirens on.

4. Absolutely not. It's a RADAR detector, not a COP detector. I used to get into arguments with customers once in a great while at Best Buy who were trying to return a $300 Passport X50 because they drove past a police car in their neighborhood and it didn't go off. No radar detector will alert you unless radar is being used--hence the now-wide use of instant-on, which allows the radar to be turned off until the cop sees you speeding past.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    1. K-band is the most commonly-used police radar today. Ka-band is working to overtake it quickly, and most new orders are for Ka-band guns. Ka is also much more dangerous than K, as it is harder for detectors to pick up. X-band is falling out of use quickly as it's very easy to detect, but you'll still come across it in New Jersey, Ohio, and rural areas.

2. VG-2 cloaking mode makes your detector invisible to the VG-2 detector detector. It's only useful in areas where detectors are illegal and the much better Spectre is not employed (i.e., Virginia).

3. SWS is BS. There is no point to it, as no safety agency uses it. If anyone did, SWS would alert you when an ambulance, firetruck, or police car was coming up fast behind you with sirens on.

4. Absolutely not. It's a RADAR detector, not a COP detector. I used to get into arguments with customers once in a great while at Best Buy who were trying to return a $300 Passport X50 because they drove past a police car in their neighborhood and it didn't go off. No radar detector will alert you unless radar is being used--hence the now-wide use of instant-on, which allows the radar to be turned off until the cop sees you speeding past.

This is a great response and pretty much sums up everything asked.

The only thing I will add is the X,K,KA represent the (approx) frequency which is being used, KA actually represents 3 different frequencies, (The frequency is essentially what the RD'S 'scan' for).