Default Question Regarding Whistler Voice Module

I bought a Whistler 3400 off of eBay, and am currently in the process of installing it. Right now it's just sort of hanging there, but that will be fixed tomorrow. Yes, I know it's not even close to the best you can get, but I got it cheap, and it's better than running with no detector. I'll eventually get something better, but for right now, this will work.

Anyway, my question is about the voice module. It seems like all the connections in the back of the unit are just 3.5mm (or 1/8") stereo connectors. Rather than buying the voice module, can I hook it up to my car stereo? I recently added an aux input, so I could just splice another line to the same input and hook it up that way. The manual says not to use anything other than the voice module, but I don't know if that's just a marketing ploy to sell their own product. I don't really care to invest more money in a radar detector that's pretty old, but if I can achieve what I want with stuff that's lying around the house, I don't mind putting the time into it.

Default Re: Question Regarding Whistler Voice Module

I could be wrong but i don't think many if any here have your setup.
    You might want to PM Michael B, the Whistler forum moderator here to ask your questions.

The voice module has the messages inside it.
    if you were to send the information to the stereo, you would only have tone alerts as the console does not contain the voice files.

If you choose to hook this to your AUX imput, you are doing so at your own risk.

The Stereo jack contains a 12 volt wire, a communication line and a ground wire.

If you choose to go thru with the setup, you would use the communication wire and the ground.

Install a capacitor between the communication line out and your AUX in.
    Positive end of the capacitor wired to the console side.
    A 100uf 25V cap should work.
    The ground can be connected directly to your AUX gnd.

Gnd is the common
    Com is the center collar
    12 volts is the tip (do not use for your application)

Thanks for the info. I ended up not doing it because I purchased a Beltronics v940 shortly after I got the Whistler. I think I'm just going to use the v940 and ditch the Whistler, since it seems to be a better detector.