Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pro 78SE - K / Ka confusion?

Today while making my 63mile commute i encountered a "K" false, i get hit by it everyday, well it suddenly changed to Ka 9, and then abruptly stopped, about 8 miles later a similar situation happened where it went from k to Ka 34.3, and then stopped, there were no highway patrolmen (33.8) around or any local leos anywhere. Not sure if it was confusing K and Ka or what, has anyone had this happen? I never have any Ka falses in the area where these occured. Its wide open desert with some hills. Any one else run into this before, kind of makes me nervous to trust my RD. My settings were "Highway" "Filter" "Ka Max ID" "X off" "POP Off"
    Last edited by copenkountry; 03-13-2010 at 11:54 PM.

Radar Fanatic
    In a town full of undercover leos blasting c/o Ka

Default Re: Pro 78SE - K / Ka confusion?

I'm fairly certain you had a leaky cobra encounter. For some fun try turning off X and K bands and make some passes against a speed sign or a drone shooting K band. Then see if it will alert Ka to a source you know is K.

Quote Originally Posted by TRun View Post
    I'm fairly certain you had a leaky cobra encounter. For some fun try turning off X and K bands and make some passes against a speed sign or a drone shooting K band. Then see if it will alert Ka to a source you know is K.
    Must have been an extremely leaky cobra, because there wasnt a car anywhere close to me

Radar Fanatic
    In a town full of undercover leos blasting c/o Ka

I can't imagine too many sources of Ka in the wide open desert but if conditions are right you may pick up some signal from miles away. If this happens again maybe its time to get the detector checked out.

Power User

In the wide open flat area leaky rd's can be picked up for miles When you are around many door openers it can cause a Ka false. You might have also had a leaky RD continue leaking behind you. Mike B said k and Ka will not confuse each other. I have picked up a Merecedes cruise control behind me 3/4 of a mile for 40 miles or so until i had to speed way up ahead.

Professional

My Cobra XRS 9960G literally picked up a Cobra from 1/2 a mile away. My Cobra XRS 9960G does tend to confuse K band and 35.5 ka though. I don't know of Whistlers doing the same.
    Last edited by Divewjason; 03-14-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: forgot it was my 9960G that picked up the cobra, not my sti-r

Manufacturer

The 78, 690, 695, 78SE, 690SE, 695SE and 68SE have seperate K and Ka circuits.

Thanks Mike! Definitely reassured me there!

Radar Fanatic

My XTR-690 would get K and X band mixed up sometimes, but never K and Ka. I agree with the other posters it was probably just a Cobra in the area.

Professional

Since K and Ka doesn't share the same circuit it is impossible for the Whistler to confuse those two bands, X and K share the same circuit according to Mike B and that is why you see the confusion.

Apparently then, my 9960G shares K and Ka band on one circuit.