Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default HELP!!!! Whistler 1793 SE driving me crazy

This Whistler is going off too much.
    I just happen to have one of these and also a V-1 and Cobra 9850. There is no way there is that much law enforcement out there as this Whistler 1793 SE picks up pulse alot and with full blasts of KA. I know I'm not getting pulsed this much along with those full sudden blasts of KA.
    Does this model / brand have a poor reputation of false alarms? Bad selectiviity or too sensitive?
    What is the worse of two evils or better a Cobra 9850 (older no POP) or this Whistler 1793 SE that cries wolf all the time??

Professional

Simple answer yes the whistler falses to much.

Whistler really needs to work on this issue.
    They seem to have detection down pretty well for a low end unit but the falses are just to many.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman

They seem to have detection down pretty well for a low end unit but the falses are just to many.
    So then would you think that if I can get a full refund $125.00+ to return the Whistler 1793 SE I should return it?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by LS2

So then would you think that if I can get a full refund $125.00+ to return the Whistler 1793 SE I should return it?
    Depends on where you got it from, what kind of condition it's in, and how long you've had it. Lots of places are going to be very tough on accepting returns for the next couple of weeks as unwanted Christmas presents come back--many so heavily used that they are no longer resellable.

Be aware that most places do charge a restocking fee for radar detectors, and thus you won't get a full refund. If we knew where you got it from, we might be better able to help.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Quote Originally Posted by LS2

Depends on where you got it from, what kind of condition it's in, and how long you've had it. Lots of places are going to be very tough on accepting returns for the next couple of weeks as unwanted Christmas presents come back--many so heavily used that they are no longer resellable.

Be aware that most places do charge a restocking fee for radar detectors, and thus you won't get a full refund. If we knew where you got it from, we might be better able to help.
    I know I can get a full refund no restocking charges for the simple fact I kept the receipt. I did this with a leaf blower I used and returned it 8 months later. This is all at Costco. The Whistler detector is in excellent shape it is just that it is pulsing, falsing getting full KA blasts way too much beyond belief.

Professional

Return it!!

Professional

If you can get a 100% refund without restocking fees, yes, return it and buy a better detector from Roy.

Lead Foot

The verdict is to return it. That will then leave me with a V-1 in one car and a cobra ESD-9850 in the other car. The Cobra is an older model so it doesn't have the POP feature. Perhaps there are more things it doesn't have since technology is always changing.

Lead Foot

Got 100% refund returned the Whister 1793 SE just too many falses especially on the Pulse.

Professional

I can not understand why Whistler has not addressed this issue.
    They have the dection down pretty good it is just the falsing that they really need to look at.