Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional

Default Hey Whistler Guys I got a question - K-X Mixups

So I heard that the SE whistlers sometimes mix up X and K band. It seems to me that would mean you couldn't safely turn X off if K is a threat in your area. Is that the case? That would drive me insane.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Hey Whistler Guys I got a question - K-X Mixups

Quote Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
    So I heard that the SE whistlers sometimes mix up X and K band. It seems to me that would mean you couldn't safely turn X off if K is a threat in your area. Is that the case? That would drive me insane.
    When I turned off X band on the SEs, they just reported all of the X band radar sources as K band. It's not unsafe to turn of X band, just pointless.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    When I turned off X band on the SEs, they just reported all of the X band radar sources as K band. It's not unsafe to turn of X band, just pointless.
    WOW ok how the hell do you guys deal with that. I really wanted to get a whistler as a backup that maybe I'd give to someone one day as a gift or something, but that just killed that idea.

WOW ok how the hell do you guys deal with that. I really wanted to get a whistler as a backup that maybe I'd give to someone one day as a gift or something, but that just killed that idea.
    I bought a V1 and my wife turned the volume on her xtr-695 all the way down.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerUser View Post
    The V1 is much quieter in LA than the Whistler SEs are, which is remarkable considering the substantial sensitivity difference.

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerUser View Post
    The V1 is much quieter in LA than the Whistler SEs are, which is remarkable considering the substantial sensitivity difference.
    Definitely, no more Ka falses. To be honest though I've been a bit lazy lately and stopped running it locally. All the local cops use the PLIII and ProLite. The V1 won't do me much good against those.

Good Citizen

That is another thing about the Whistler's that would bother me. My 78SE did the same thing, as soon as you turn X off, it would just report the same source as K.

Manufacturer

When testing with a single X band source, the units work properly unless there is an issue with the band ID circuit.

If the information was from a single X band source and you have X shut off, it should not alert.

When testing with multiple X band door openers, the information may cause the unit to identify K band at times.

Lead Foot

When testing with a single X band source, the units work properly unless there is an issue with the band ID circuit.

If the information was from a single X band source and you have X shut off, it should not alert.

When testing with multiple X band door openers, the information may cause the unit to identify K band at times.
    Good to know. That makes sense with what I have been experiencing. I had my X band turned off but turned it back on to make sure I wasn't ignoring K band alerts because I thought they might be X band. I have been receiving a lot more X band alerts that were never reported before (as K band) when the X was turned off. Doesn't bother me but now that I know this I'll turn the X back off and see if when I get the K alert there is multiple door openers around.

My experience seems to follow along with what Michael B has said. Turning X band off does NOT report EVERY X band as K. Maybe a lot of them but not ALL.

Professional

Since i get negligable Ka falses, this X-K confusion is my number one gripe with Whistler SE's. IMO, the City Modes are for all practical purpose useless.
    I sure hope Whistler fixes this issue in their next high end design maybe with dual independant DSP's or whatever it takes. I'd pay extra for a properly 100% working City Mode.

My work around is to enable; X band, Highway Mode and Auto Quiet Mode.
    When an X band (or any) alert occurs in Auto Quiet Mode, the RDer only beeps a few times then i ignore and forget about it.
    :