Thread: Pro 78..

Default Pro 78..

Hello, I am new to the forum.

Today, on the way to work, i decided to take a nice little side road shortcut, around a huge accident that happened on the main drag, and because i was running late, floored it. Bam, caught with a ticket from some cop (i skidded to a stop when he jumped in front of me and almost hit him lol)

Well, ive been saying this for a while, and finally i said , ok, time to get a detector.

Ironically, AFTER i made the purchase of a Whistler Pro 78, I sat down and found this website, and researched things a bit.
    It was definitely an appealing product to me: affordable(im a student), good quality looking product.. .
    Anyways, its the first one I've owned and it seems decent enough.
    I found a false area already by london drugs... and reading on here i realized its only the automatic doors. I can live with that.

I was wondering, other owners or people who are familiar with this model, what is the optimal location to mount it? I live in the city(City mode obviously? There are 2 city modes.. not sure what i should have it on for best performance), and have it positioned so the sensor is just above the wipers in the centre. Is this the best location for it? I have a dark vehicle, if that helps.

Any other settings i should be aware of? Will having VG-2 detection be hindering to the unit? or POP mode on/off? Anything else i should know about detectors in general? Thanks.

Yoda of Radar

A good little piece of information about mounting(this should help you out with that):

http://www.guysoflidar.com/detectormounting.html

Thank the 'GOL' (GuysOfLIDAR) for that information. You should look around that whole website, it will really help you.

As far as VG-2 you really shouldnt worry about it (unless you live in VA or DC where they are illegal...or other countries which they may also be illegal to posses an RD in).

I dont personally know much about this unit (I'd believe it is somewhat similar to the 58 but I just dont know)... hopefully Boomerman (or others) can help you more with information concerning this particular unit.

Professional

In your post you say PRO 78 there is not such model.
    Is it the PRO 58 or PRO 73?

Not a biggie but there are some difference between the 2 models and if you ever have specfic questions it would be nice to know which model you have.

As far as mouting goes for the most part it is a matter of choice.
    With the tests I have done with the PRO 58 it did not make any difference where I mounted it. I like mine mounted above the rear view mirror so it can not be easily seen.

As far as VG2 I would not enable it unless you need it. The problem with the VG2 setting is if it does get a reading that VG2 is being used it will not detect any other alerts until you get past the LEO using a radar detector detector.

City mode:
    If you do not have X band in your area I would recommend city mode 2 that will disable X band completely.
    City mode 1 and 2 are about the same just different alert levels, the manual does a good job of explaining the differences.

Leave POP enabled, turning it off makes it false even more.

Depending on where you live you may get k and ka falses frequently, this is just the nature of this unit.

Detection is good on this unit so you will have plenty of time in most cases to slow down.

Take a look around in the whistler section you will see that most of your questions have already been answered.

Thanks, it is a PRO 73, that is my bad.
    I get a ton of falses when im downtown, and one here and there... waiting for it to save my ass though. I might try mounting it under the windsheild. I have it on city mode 2. Do the other models, passport x50 (not sure if correct name) and valentine 1 pick up radar from shopping mall doors and garage door openers quite as much? Is there any falsing at all?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by TiredofTickets
    Thanks, it is a PRO 73, that is my bad.
    I get a ton of falses when im downtown, and one here and there... waiting for it to save my *BEEP* though. I might try mounting it under the windsheild. I have it on city mode 2. Do the other models, passport x50 (not sure if correct name) and valentine 1 pick up radar from shopping mall doors and garage door openers quite as much? Is there any falsing at all?
    Yes they(RX65,X50,V1) do pick up signals from 'automatic doors' and other such things running on x&k band.

Read here concerning your Whistler and falses you get.

http://radardetector.net/Resons-for-...lers-4878t.php

(Much thanks to Boomerman for posting the topic).

Professional

Boomerman, I'd been under the impression that the only difference between the Pro-58 and Pro-73 is the display. Are there any internal differences, different programming to make the -73 better, or something like that?

Professional

The PRO 73 and PRO 58 have some differences.
    But both are made to the same specs so I would say there is no difference in detection or filtering.

The PRO 73 has voice alert and the blue display.
    The PRO 73 has a menu where you can adjust some of the settings.
    The PRO 58 has many of the same setting you can adjust it is just not documented in the manual.
    The PRO 73 you can pick your alert tones for the different bands.

I have not used a PRO 73 but since it is built on the same platform as the PRO 58 I am sure it has same falsing issues as the PRO 58
    The higher end 1700 series are pretty much the same as the PRO series in construction and specs, just the pro series has a 2 year warranty where the 1700 series only have 1 year warranty.

The 1793 SE is the only 1700 series that has a 2 year warranty. The 1793 also comes with a little bag to carry the unit around and also comes with a cigarette socket multiplier so you do not loose the useage of the lighter.
    I wish they would offer these on the PRO models as well.