Default 1788 at RS for $99

Just picked up the radio shack ad and saw the 1788 on sale for under 100. Anyone know much about this model and if it falses like the pro series?

Professional

The 1788 is battery powered, so as the batteries loose power you will lose detection range.
    I do not know for sure if the board and antenna are the same since it is battery powered but I would bet it is close to the same if not the same as the PRO series and the higher end 1700 series .
    If it is the same,yes you will have to deal with the falsing like the pro series and the high end 1700 series.

Battery powered radar detectors tend to have less detection range.

Watch those batteries when you do not have if plugged in to the power cord, would hate to see you get a ticket because the batteries went dead.

Newcomer

I bought one back when they were on sale before, for use as a spare detector. I got rid of it after a few weeks because the alerts were very very quiet, even at maximum volume. I couldn't even hear the alerts over road noise, let alone the fact that I always drive with the stereo turned up. It's probably that way to save battery power, as the 1788 does not cycle off like other cordless, because it has rechargeable batteries, and also it will detect POP. Also, I got constant VG2 falses, but I get that with all Whistlers, I've found. I ended up selling it on eBay.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Karnivore
    I bought one back when they were on sale before, for use as a spare detector. I got rid of it after a few weeks because the alerts were very very quiet, even at maximum volume. I couldn't even hear the alerts over road noise, let alone the fact that I always drive with the stereo turned up. It's probably that way to save battery power, as the 1788 does not cycle off like other cordless, because it has rechargeable batteries, and also it will detect POP. Also, I got constant VG2 falses, but I get that with all Whistlers, I've found. I ended up selling it on eBay.
    It's been my experience that non-voice alert whistlers are just too darn quiet. That's my main complaint with my 1730 that I keep for a spare. I can't even drive with the windows down and hear the alerts.

Yoda of Radar

You may want to think of this also, why did they mark them down? They must not be selling.....

Power User

umm, not everything on sale is necessarily bad... it brings attention to the product and attracts customers, especially when it shows up in a circulated ad.