Newcomer

Default Questions on my new XTR-695

Hey all, just picked this 695 up a week ago and its been great so far. I have some questions in regards to the unit settings but also some general newb questions. Any help is appreciated!

First of all let me say I'm in south FL / Fort Lauderdale area so you can get an idea of the terrain I'm driving over (ie congested but flat)

Questions
    1. Does anyone use the Safety Report feature? Any reason not to use this?
    2. If I turn X band off in the settings, does it mean that City1, City2, and Highway modes would be identifcal?
    3. Should I turn Ka to KaID and Laser to LSID generally speaking? Laser defaults to 'Norm'
    4. I find I get some K readings (faint) every so often, is this likely from other RDs? Would using 'Filter1' possibly lessen this?
    5. I dont quite understand the purpose of the Battery Saver. I mean why would you want it to turn off after 3 hours if you are still in the car while driving?
    6. On the SE model it seems lots of people disable the POP mode, should I leave this enabled or disabled on the reg 695? I dont really understand how POP is different than regular K or Ka. Same goes with PULSE
    7. General question - I drove by a bikecop going opp direction (he was driving) and it picked up his Ka. SImilar thing happened when i drove by a car pulled over. Neither time did they have the guns out, yet it picked it up, is this normal?
    8. General question - Does a radar gun look different than a laser gun in size/shape? Are radar guns pretty large and the laser fairly narrow? (just curious)
    9. I was thinking of mounting my 695 above the RVM like some have done but I have dark 15% tint strip, will this block any of the detection? Similarly, will the rear spoiler on my car block anything?
    10. Is there any way to find out which authorities use what type of Radar or Laser in my area? It would be nice to know if I saw Ka then its the local PD, and if I saw K its highway patrol, etc. Im guessing Im asking too much but figured Id ask
    11. I read people have issues with the X band showing as K band sometimes. If I turn off X band all together, will it fix this issue?

Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback!
    Last edited by Roach; 06-23-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Power User

Default Re: Questions on my new XTR-695

1. Does anyone use the Safety Report feature? Any reason not to use this? Turn it off, it was a program that was discontinued so you will not likely ever get any warnings.
      2. If I turn X band off in the settings, does it mean that City1, City2, and Highway modes would be identifcal? X off turns x off in all modes
      3. Should I turn Ka to KaID and Laser to LSID generally speaking? Laser defaults to 'Norm' Yes, these will help identify what type of radar your experiencing and the same in identifying the laser gun being picked up
      4. I find I get some K readings (faint) every so often, is this likely from other RDs? Would using 'Filter1' possibly lessen this? Other Rd’s cause ka falsing mostly, k band falses are normally from automatic doors on walgreens,cvs etc.
      5. I dont quite understand the purpose of the Battery Saver. I mean why would you want it to turn off after 3 hours if you are still in the car while driving? Some people have a always hot cig lighter, this allows you to leave your car and it will shut off after 3 hrs to prevent draining your battery.
      6. On the SE model it seems lots of people disable the POP mode, should I leave this enabled or disabled on the reg 695? I dont really understand how POP is different than regular K or Ka. Same goes with PULSE. Turn off pop, causes falses and is very rarely used.
      7. General question - I drove by a bikecop going opp direction (he was driving) and it picked up his Ka. SImilar thing happened when i drove by a car pulled over. Neither time did they have the guns out, yet it picked it up, is this normal? Yes sometimes their gun is mounted to their bike, sometimes it is left on in the bikes storage compartment.
      8. General question - Does a radar gun look different than a laser gun in size/shape? Are radar guns pretty large and the laser fairly narrow? (just curious) Yes, go to GOL radar test and you will see lots of pics of laser and radar guns.
      9. I was thinking of mounting my 695 above the RVM like some have done but I have dark 15% tint strip, will this block any of the detection? Similarly, will the rear spoiler on my car block anything? Tint will not hurt it, neither will rear spoiler.
      10. Is there any way to find out which authorities use what type of Radar or Laser in my area? It would be nice to know if I saw Ka then its the local PD, and if I saw K its highway patrol, etc. Im guessing Im asking too much but figured Id ask Look at the local section of the forum, has what is used in your area.
      11. I read people have issues with the X band showing as K band sometimes. If I turn off X band all together, will it fix this issue?No sometimes it will still report as k band even if x is off.

Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback![/QUOTE]

http://www.patzcatz.com/radarbands.html Local info for your area.
    Last edited by Freebird; 06-23-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Newcomer

Thanks!. I guess I had really only 2 questions from your responses. Responses in red
    Thanks again!

1.Does anyone use the Safety Report feature? Any reason not to use this?
    Turn it off, it was a program that was discontinued so you will not likely ever get any warnings.
    Will do, thanks

2. If I turn X band off in the settings, does it mean that City1, City2, and Highway modes would be identifcal?
    X off turn x off in all modes
    What I mean is, after turning it is, would these 3 modes essentially be identical in how they function? The manual makes it seems that all are highway sensitivity but various levels of X, so when I remove X from the equation it would seem they would be identical, just confirming

3. Should I turn Ka to KaID and Laser to LSID generally speaking? Laser defaults to 'Norm'
    Yes, these will help identify what type of radar your experiencing and the same in identifying the laser gun being picked up
    Thanks

4. I find I get some K readings (faint) every so often, is this likely from other RDs? Would using 'Filter1' possibly lessen this?
    Other Rd’s cause ka falsing mostly, k band falses are normally from automatic doors on walgreens,cvs etc.
    Should I switch to Filter1 or will I likely have same issue?

5. I dont quite understand the purpose of the Battery Saver. I mean why would you want it to turn off after 3 hours if you are still in the car while driving?
    Some people have a always hot cig lighter, this allows you to leave your car and it will shut off after 3 hrs to prevent draining your battery.

6. On the SE model it seems lots of people disable the POP mode, should I leave this enabled or disabled on the reg 695? I dont really understand how POP is different than regular K or Ka. Same goes with PULSE.
    Turn off pop, causes falses and is very rarely used.

7. General question - I drove by a bikecop going opp direction (he was driving) and it picked up his Ka. SImilar thing happened when i drove by a car pulled over. Neither time did they have the guns out, yet it picked it up, is this normal?
    Yes sometimes their gun is mounted to their bike, sometimes it is left on in the bikes storage compartment.

8. General question - Does a radar gun look different than a laser gun in size/shape? Are radar guns pretty large and the laser fairly narrow? (just curious)
    Yes, go to GOL radar test and you will see lots of pics of laser and radar guns.
    Thanks!

9. I was thinking of mounting my 695 above the RVM like some have done but I have dark 15% tint strip, will this block any of the detection? Similarly, will the rear spoiler on my car block anything?
    Tint will not hurt it, neither will rear spoiler.
    Good to hear!

10. Is there any way to find out which authorities use what type of Radar or Laser in my area? It would be nice to know if I saw Ka then its the local PD, and if I saw K its highway patrol, etc. Im guessing Im asking too much but figured Id ask
    Look at the local section of the forum, has what is used in your area.

11. I read people have issues with the X band showing as K band sometimes. If I turn off X band all together, will it fix this issue?
    No sometimes it will still report as k band even if x is off.
    Dang, that stinks but good to know

Power User

1. Filter 1 and 2 will reduce falsing to leaky radar detectors.
    2.Walgreens, cvs falses are caused by the same x and k band radar as police use at a lower power, so only way to shut them up completly is turn off x and k band, not advised if x or k band is used in your area. This is where city 1 and 2 come in.

In city mode you will get a couple beeps when it picks up radar, then go silent and read the strength on the meter, rather than continuing to beep beep beep, simular to auto mute. If the signal reaches 5 or higher you will get another couple beeps. City mode makes for a much quieter detector around town without reducing sensitivity.