Manufacturer
    Last edited by Veil Guy; 03-17-2014 at 07:52 AM.
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Old Timer

Default Re: Veil Guy's Whistler CR85 & CR90 Review

Thanks Veil guy for your review. I have always appreciated the reviews you do on all the different rds.

Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by proudNMAmember View Post
    Thanks Veil guy for your review. I have always appreciated the reviews you do on all the different rds.
    Thanks for your kind words.

VG
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

great review

Radar Fanatic

deleted
    Last edited by fire65; 04-27-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Advanced Member
    Upstate New York where the Stalker Dual is King

Quote Originally Posted by fire65 View Post
    Take for what it is. Pay me to do it and will say what you want. Go watch he and radar roy do a jam to gun with just veil.
    Easy now.....looks to be an honest review to me.

For under $200 the Whistler does in fact do a darn good job against Ka band without having severe response time issues like some other detectors at over twice the price.

VG points out the fact that X and K are not strong suites for Whistler but that LIDAR is another area where it can dust a few $500 detectors.

For folks on a tight budget where Ka is the main threat this would be an excellent detector and Michael B. provides excellent support on Whistler products.

Obviously, if you have the means there are better detectors out there, but not until you breach the $400 mark.

I'm still wating for VG to get his hands on a 3.893 V1 and dive into the custom sweeps, multiple user profiles and K-Band muting options. I think his head might explode when he gets the opportunity to witness multiple signals with each displaying direction to source with frequency readout and the improved detection range.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Radar Fanatic

deleted
    Last edited by fire65; 04-27-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by nine_c1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fire65 View Post
    Take for what it is. Pay me to do it and will say what you want. Go watch he and radar roy do a jam to gun with just veil.
    Easy now.....looks to be an honest review to me.

For under $200 the Whistler does in fact do a darn good job against Ka band without having severe response time issues like some other detectors at over twice the price.

VG points out the fact that X and K are not strong suites for Whistler but that LIDAR is another area where it can dust a few $500 detectors.

For folks on a tight budget where Ka is the main threat this would be an excellent detector and Michael B. provides excellent support on Whistler products.

Obviously, if you have the means there are better detectors out there, but not until you breach the $400 mark.

I'm still wating for VG to get his hands on a 3.893 V1 and dive into the custom sweeps, multiple user profiles and K-Band muting options. I think his head might explode when he gets the opportunity to witness multiple signals with each displaying direction to source with frequency readout and the improved detection range.
    Thanks Nine.

I don't know if people really understand this, but I do not get PAID for any review that I write, never have. I do them all out of pocket and on my personal time.

I maintain that the top model Whistlers have for some time offered great value for the buck. Ka and Laser is very good. K-band lane assist filtering (by time delays only, not sensitivity reductions) are unmatched by any other detector regardless of price point. Whistlers have always been extremely fast at response too. Whistlers also offer programming capability that is simply not even available on other models (regardless of price point). For example, they are the only ones that allow a user to fine-tune reactivity to X and K and then Ka and can filter out specific laser pulse rates. They also can detect hard to detect lasers (probably only second to the V1). These things aren't a matter of opinion, they're reproducible facts. They give you a lot of detector for $150-$170 street price. Mike B is a great guy and humble guy. A straight shooter that has no equal that I know of in this industry. Whistlers aren't marketed with over the top claims. These subtle capabilities are just there for savvy owners to discover--which reminds me of VR to a large degree.

I fell in love with Whistler the day I witnessed a $100 detector of theirs absolutely smoke a $2000 Kforzero remote.

I once drove across the state of Wyoming for extended periods of time in excess of 100mph and I did it with a Whistler. A couple of close calls, but it didn't fail me. Yes, I am a fan of them and I hope it shows in my reviews.

Nine, I have gotten my updated V1 and have it with me in Florida (given the brutal Winter, I have extended my trip--maybe until Spring!) Thing is I am having a problem getting it to work with my iPhones. I have a 3Gs and a 4, but neither have LE Bluetooth. I think I may go the way of procuring an Android phone like you have and then even try YaV1. My wife has a iPhone 5, so I suspect I could borrow hers too, but she uses it for business so that could be a little challenging.

But, yes I am looking forward to getting overwhelmed with the it.

VG
    Last edited by Veil Guy; 03-07-2014 at 05:20 PM.

I read your review: Whistler Pro-78SE/XTR-690SE Review: Whistler's best gets even better.

What was the root cause of the Ka9 falsing. I started a thread about this back in 2009 but never heard any more about it.

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...a-falsing.html

Power User

Root cause we found was coming from certain carriers cell towers. Me, Veilguy, and Jag42 worked with mike providing testing and feedback from our areas to help him resolve this issue on the new CR series. Also the pro78se oled has the new updated software.