Default Pro 78se problems

I just went on a 1700 mile road trip with my Whistler Pro 78se and it did not do well. It goes off at seemingly random times. A lot. While it happens a lot in traffic, it also went off in the middle of a corn field in Kansas with not other cars within miles. It got so that we basically muted it, ignored it, or just unplugged it. It seems like it did not do that when I first bought it. I bought and started using it in November of 2012. I used to be impressed by it and would say to my wife or passenger - "yes it is beeping a lot but look at the signal strength. It is going up slowly." And then we would see a cop a couple miles down the road. Lately, it just goes off and I seldom see a cop. It's become the boy that cried wolf and I just don't trust it.
    My question is - is the common for the 78se? Is it broken? Could something else be causing the problem? Thanks for any insight!
    Edit: I am using an intellicord that I routed through the dash. To rule out a damaged cord I used the regular power cord and got the same results.
    Last edited by Razorhog; 07-30-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Pro 78se problems

Quote Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
    I just went on a 1700 mile road trip with my Whistler Pro 78se and it did not do well. It goes off at seemingly random times. A lot. While it happens a lot in traffic, it also went off in the middle of a corn field in Kansas with not other cars within miles. It got so that we basically muted it, ignored it, or just unplugged it. It seems like it did not do that when I first bought it. I bought and started using it in November of 2012. I used to be impressed by it and would say to my wife or passenger - "yes it is beeping a lot but look at the signal strength. It is going up slowly." And then we would see a cop a couple miles down the road. Lately, it just goes off and I seldom see a cop. It's become the boy that cried wolf and I just don't trust it.
    My question is - is the common for the 78se? Is it broken? Could something else be causing the problem? Thanks for any insight!
    Edit: I am using an intellicord that I routed through the dash. To rule out a damaged cord I used the regular power cord and got the same results.
    I'm guessing you're fairly new to the RD game.
    There are many radar/laser collision systems now built into vehicles & this is why the many false alerts you are encountering are so annoying.
    You need to do some reading on BSM/ACC systems. There's reference to them here in the Forum & you'll also find videos on YouTube. Even large trucks (Tractor Trailer rigs) have radar emitting devices on their Frontal area as part of their collision warning systems.

There are RDs available that can prevent a lot of the false signals you're having problems w/ but they are more costly than what you currently are using !

Default Re: Pro 78se problems

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
    I'm guessing you're fairly new to the RD game.
    There are many radar/laser collision systems now built into vehicles & this is why the many false alerts you are encountering are so annoying.
    You need to do some reading on BSM/ACC systems. There's reference to them here in the Forum & you'll also find videos on YouTube. Even large trucks (Tractor Trailer rigs) have radar emitting devices on their Frontal area as part of their collision warning systems.

There are RDs available that can prevent a lot of the false signals you're having problems w/ but they are more costly than what you currently are using !
    Thanks for the reply! I never thought about collision systems with radar causing the problems. I'm sure those systems will only become more prevalent with driverless vehicles coming soon.