Newcomer

Default Everything happens at once with quality

I own both the Pro 78SE and the Pro 78. Both have served me rather well with a small glitch in the SE a while back. The button that locked the unit on the mount disappeared inside the unit a couple of years ago, and when I posted such a problem on this board, Michael B. sent me a private message inviting me to send the unit back and have it fixed. I did so and everything was just fine until just a month ago or so.

The very same thing happened again a couple of weeks ago. Although I sent Mike B. a PM asking if I could send the unit back, I never did hear back from him. Is he still with the Whistler Group? I sent the unit back anyway, and when I did get it back, I hooked it up to the mount, and.....the release button did not work. I could not take it off the mount. **sigh**. Finally with a bit of coercion, it popped off, but now doesn't ever lock in and mount securely.

The very next day, my other detector, the Pro 78 acted up with the same mounting issue and now I had two detectors that were not stable on the mount. I still use them, but continually have to adjust the detectors as they slide and move around on the mounts as I travel over bumps in the road.

But that's not all. I don't have my detector set very loud...I think I have it set to only to 4 on the volume scale....but as I started the car to come home from work, it went through it's start-up procedure and as it got to "Laser" the speaker blew.

So in the space of about 3 weeks, everything happened at once and I have two detectors that really aren't up to snuff.

Just curious....Does anyone have an idea of how long a detector lasts if it's taken care of well? I use mine on a daily basis...I live in a very small town and the local LEO's tend to keep a careful eye on the speeders around here and I don't like driving without a detector's protection. If I send both of these detectors in for repair, I'll be without one for at least a week. And that is especially worrisome since school has started and I'm certain the LEO's will be looking for compliance in the next couple of weeks over and above what they usually do.

As a side note, X-band is still alive and well here in Ohio as my Pro 78 picked up a LEO running constant on coming the other direction on Highway 2 last week during my trip home from Mich.

Safe travels all....
    Last edited by RebelGent; 08-27-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Manufacturer

Default Re: Everything happens at once with quality

Quote Originally Posted by RebelGent View Post
    I own both the Pro 78SE and the Pro 78. Both have served me rather well with a small glitch in the SE a while back. The button that locked the unit on the mount disappeared inside the unit a couple of years ago, and when I posted such a problem on this board, Michael B. sent me a private message inviting me to send the unit back and have it fixed. I did so and everything was just fine until just a month ago or so.

The very same thing happened again a couple of weeks ago. Although I sent Mike B. a PM asking if I could send the unit back, I never did hear back from him. Is he still with the Whistler Group? I sent the unit back anyway, and when I did get it back, I hooked it up to the mount, and.....the release button did not work. I could not take it off the mount. **sigh**. Finally with a bit of coercion, it popped off, but now doesn't ever lock in and mount securely.

The very next day, the my other detector, the Pro 78 acted up with the same mounting issue and now I had two detectors that were not stable on the mount. I still use them, but continually have to adjust the detectors as they slide and move around on the mounts as I travel over bumps in the road.

But that's not all. I don't have my detector set very loud...I think I have it set to only to 4 on the volume scale....but as I started the car to come home from work, it went through it's start-up procedure and as it got to "Laser" the speaker blew.

So in the space of about 3 weeks, everything happened at once and I have two detectors that really aren't up to snuff.

Just curious....Does anyone have an idea of how long a detector lasts if it's taken care of well? I use mine on a daily basis...I live in a very small town and the local LEO's tend to keep a careful eye on the speeders around here and I don't like driving without a detector's protection. If I send both of these detectors in for repair, I'll be without one for at least a week. And that is especially worrisome since school has started and I'm certain the LEO's will be looking for compliance in the next couple of weeks over and above what they usually do.

As a side note, X-band is still alive and well here in Ohio as my Pro 78 picked up a LEO running constant on coming the other direction on Highway 2 last week during my trip home from Mich.

Safe travels all....

Welcome RG! I've had my Whistlers for some time and they have held up. Yes, MB is still the lead engineer, but doesn't participate on the forums much (because of the excessive negativity towards vendors) on some forums. Fortunately for us he does post here from time to time, however, I know he's been extremely busy with new product development (and they have been somewhat short staffed in the engineering dept).

I am going to make a suggestion if you want to consider this. The Whistler CR88 and CR93 are very good, noticeably better on K and Ka band and laser with improved off-axis protection. That coupled with its improved FDSR and CAS system filtering, I think that may be a good avenue for you to pursue instead of looking to get the older model repaired or replaced.

If you reach out to Mike at RadarBusters either via chat of by phone, I am sure RadarBusters can offer you a special deal below the advertised price for the inconvenience you have experienced.

If that won't work for you, I can make an inquiry with MB (I speak with him regularly) and maybe he will do something special for you as a member of RD.net.

Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Regards,

VG

At any rate, welcome to the forum.
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Newcomer

Hello Veil Guy,

Thanks for your note and your kind offer to help. I did send in both units to the Whistler Group as I had done a few weeks ago when the mounting problem initially happened on the Pro 78 SE. The unit was returned within a week and half I believe, and I'm hoping they can look at and repair the units once more. I have never been charged for a repair, even though I have sent a note with the units offering to remit any funds for the work they do.

I was somewhat surprised at the blown speaker. I've never had that happen with any unit I've ever had in my 30+ years of driving with any detector I've owned, and I've owned quite a few.

As luck might have it, I did order the new Uniden DFR7...not because I was unhappy with the Whistlers I had, but because it was new and had a few features I thought I wanted to try. It happened to arrive the very same day as I shipped my Whistlers out. I penned a note in the Uniden forum with my first impressions of the DFR7. As of this moment, I like the way the Whistler is set up more than I do with the way the Uniden is, and the display is a lot easier to see than the Uniden. It will be interesting to compare the two with what counts the most, and that's performance when it's needed.

Thanks again for your input. I'll keep in mind the offer to help if I need it someday.

Rebel Gent

Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by RebelGent View Post
    Hello Veil Guy,

Thanks for your note and your kind offer to help. I did send in both units to the Whistler Group as I had done a few weeks ago when the mounting problem initially happened on the Pro 78 SE. The unit was returned within a week and half I believe, and I'm hoping they can look at and repair the units once more. I have never been charged for a repair, even though I have sent a note with the units offering to remit any funds for the work they do.

I was somewhat surprised at the blown speaker. I've never had that happen with any unit I've ever had in my 30+ years of driving with any detector I've owned, and I've owned quite a few.

As luck might have it, I did order the new Uniden DFR7...not because I was unhappy with the Whistlers I had, but because it was new and had a few features I thought I wanted to try. It happened to arrive the very same day as I shipped my Whistlers out. I penned a note in the Uniden forum with my first impressions of the DFR7. As of this moment, I like the way the Whistler is set up more than I do with the way the Uniden is, and the display is a lot easier to see than the Uniden. It will be interesting to compare the two with what counts the most, and that's performance when it's needed.

Thanks again for your input. I'll keep in mind the offer to help if I need it someday.

Rebel Gent

Sure thing! That's ultimately what this forum is for, to be supportive of each other!

Safe travels...

VG
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

When I had the Pro-78 SE a few years ago, mine did the same thing. You can call their service number and order one for a few dollars. I think before I ordered the entire top case. Tame out the few screws and look at the inside of the top of the case. It's been a while but I remember it was very easy to fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk