Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Changing from Cobra to Whistler...

Hello,

I KNEW I should've made more research before EVER buying a radar detector. I used to own a cobra 9300 (two years ago) till I decided to return it because it didn't do much, but I recently got a $280 ticket and another $80 after two months so I decided to go back and get a radar detector.

Apparently, cobras and passports are really the only one's being sold by bestbuy, passports were high up on their $300's... and cobra's were on their $100's to $80's... which I can afford.. so I decided to get a Cobra XRS9500... not knowing how badly it works and how its range detection is even worse than the 9300.

So now that I got this XRS9500, I decided that I'll be returning it and buying a Whistler Pro 73 for lesser of the price even! The only bad thing about returning the cobra is that best buy charges a 15% restocking fee... so i'll have to pay a few more extra dollars to get the whistler pro 73 *sigh*..

So my question is... am I doing the right thing? And is the Whistler Pro 73 good enough for me? I used to speed 20 over but now I find myself getting tail gaited and bright lighted because I try to keep it 1-5 over the posted speed limit... I live in maryland, tons of cops around here.. many of which are complete asssswipess... so is Whistler Pro 73 good againsn't X, K, KA and laser bands? I'd greatly appreciate all feedback!!!

Advanced Member

Hi Luis,

In my opinion, you are making a good choice. Whistler makes a great budget detector for the money, and will give you much better performance than the Cobras. Be sure to post on here what you think about the Pro73 after you drive with it for a while

Jim

Experienced

Yes please do. Also do you happen to have a video camera by any chance.

Whistler pro 73 in my opinion is about the best bang for the buck you can get.

Newcomer

I may be able to get a full refund from best buy....

So you know how some radar detectors go off on auto doors such as Best Buy's, well I was at a red light.. about 700ft from best buy that was on my left and I was even on highway mode and nothing, zip, nada... but get this, when the light turned green to turn, as I was about 100ft close to the doors I got a K 1 level alert... so at that point I offiically decided that cobras are the worst thing to have (best buy should affiliate with other radar detector companies)... I told them it was defective and they got me a brand new one... and since i didn't open it i may get a full refund as i'll be returning it later today.. cobras really do suck.

what was funny is that right after returning it, i saw about three cops running around but rarely any when I had my cobra on my windshield and on...

anyway, I may be purchasing my new whistler pro 73 today. I would tape my experiences with it but unfortunately I don't have a camera, sorry bfg9000d.

but quick question, is there another better radar I can get for around $140? or is the Whistler Pro 73 the next best thing, I don't speed much.. perhaps 5-15 over.

i'm sick of cops around here.. they haunt you down like a dog. my first ticket was a laser and my second was probably a radar, as he didn't specify.. anyway, thanks for the replies, would love to hear back again.

Professional

I have heard that the 73 is a good detector for the money. I have a Bel 895 ($200) which I love! It out performs the Whistler 73. So if you can spare an extra $60, I would do it. On their website, they list the 73 for $200. So you might as well get the Bel 895.

That being said, the whistler 73 isn't a bad detector.

Speed Demon

You can buy the Whistler PRO 73 at radarbusters.com for 150, they are very responsible

Experienced

you can get the pro 58 which is the same thing internally as the pro 73 just not the fancy display. Sounds like you get laser a few times. Then whistler would be a good choice for laser in my opinion. My only issue with getting a bel 895 is the potential problem with it bringing up error codes and bell customer support is very slow at best. Whistler repair and customer support is probably the best in the radardetector industry. If your whistler ever needed repairs you ship it monday it will more then likely return on friday. Thats how good they are. And they go above and beyond the call of duty buy replacing face plates and all.

Newcomer

well, it's official then. I'm getting the Pro 73.

Thank you for the great feedback and help.

I know I got lasered the first time because the cop said so, and he was in fact waiting still on the side of the highway.. the second time the cop was moving and behind me so he must've had a radar since Lasers can't be moving.

Anyway, I got a full refund for my cobra. a whooping $145.94.. and here I thought it was 138, so I'll actually be buying a better product for a cheaper price, as Buy.com has it for $124.95.. I don't know WHAT can beat that..

I did find another phony looking site that offered it for $108.. I rather spend another 20 instead of getting scammed.

Well, I'll be giving me review on it after I receive it from Buy.com. Thanks again to everyone who helped me come to this conclusion

Newcomer

lol.. it's amazing how damn well the internet informs you about things..

turns out buy.com sucks major monkey balls, i read over 3 sites that buy.com ships their products to the incorrect address and that they don't have good customer support... maaan, I guess i'll go with radarbusters or amazon.. geez

Professional

:idea: How about buying it from Roy instead?
    He may be a little more but think of it this way, you will get A-1 service and at the same time you will be helping Roy out to make some money, which in turns, keeps this site up and running.