PDA

View Full Version : XTR And Laser

bfg9000d
06-14-2006, 08:35 PM
I got my XTR in the mail just a couple of days ago. Boy do I have a story for you. I was riding down a semi moderate to quiet road. In a 45 mph zone which goes to 55 mph very soon after a couple thousand feet or so. I had the detector mounted ever so slightly below the rear view mirror. All of sudden I get a laser hit and the XTR goes crazy. I mean guys I was like not just far back but like way the h e l l back.

I couldnt even see the officer in sight. I was looking all around for where this officer was. Of course my ears are so tuned to my detector the second I hear anything laser I slam on the break. So i was going 10 over and brought it to 45 mph super quick. During this time I notice the laser indicator goes to full strength. Then he was still targeting me for a few seconds afterwards. About maybe 5 seconds or so. Finally I see the officer way up ahead park way over on the shoulder grass area with a laser gun. The officer look like a total jerk I might add as well. Of course I had time to react to the laser and the officer didnt pull me over. Then he took the laser and targeted the other side of the road as well.

I figured I got to try this a few more times. Well to make a long story short and several passes later. The XTR pick up the laser every single time. With amazing range. I found in my car when I mounted it low that my laser pick up was shorten quite a bit both when I was the only one on the road passing by as well as another car infront of me. The higher mount did a heck of allot better job picking the laser up. I even went as far as taking the RD of the clip and moving the detector up and down with my hand. I finally had to stop passing by the cop because I was worried he might radio ahead to the car chasing them down because I pass by the guy like 8 times.

I was driving in a white car to with no protection or bra. I was gonna veil in the morning but I needed to get my car wash first. I assume the officer had a harder time locking onto me because my car was really dirty and so was my license plate. Anyways a couple of points to think about the XTR does detect laser quite well from the real world test I just had today. Also a higher mount produce a much better result then the lower mount did as far as laser goes. I know controlled test results might show different. But I tried every which way.

I even remounted during the laser hit. Maybe at dead zero hits lower is better but with some distance added higher might be better or from atleast what I saw today. I'm not saying its set in stone one is better then the other. But my results produce a pretty good picture. Of high and low and the XTR and laser.

Thowelljr88
06-17-2006, 12:21 AM
what kind of xtr was it?

boomerman
07-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Good to see the XTR is picking up laser at a good safe distance!!
I was hoping Whistler had not messed with the laser detection.

I wish I had laser here to see how well my XTR560 does but lucky for me I do not have to worry about it at this point and time :lol:

I hope your XTR has been treating you well, I know I have been very happy with mine.

AliG
07-03-2006, 07:31 PM
bfg where is that video you were going to release?

bfg9000d
07-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Very soon. I had a family emerg. which has put me out of state for right now temp. It will get release as soon as i get back which shouldnt be very long. The video is render and ready to go I just need to upload it when I get back. It will be in DVD Format as Well as the highest quality wmv can go. Which is like 1400 something. It will also be in 5.1 audio as well. It will have a simulated 5.1 audio if it cant find a 5.1 on your system. Their are some orginal video quality limitations but where confident enough that we have smoothed and filtered it out so it cannot be seen. The video will be unlike anything anybody has seen yet on radardetector.net so far we have seen only pop and shot type videos. This will be a little more then that.

John_in_NC
01-04-2007, 05:12 PM
I think the reason they work better up high is because of the slope of the hood. Since the cop targets your headlight (if no front plate) some probably hits the front of the hood. By having the unit up high it can see that part of the hood and see the reflection.

jdong
01-06-2007, 07:46 AM
I think the reason they work better up high is because of the slope of the hood. Since the cop targets your headlight (if no front plate) some probably hits the front of the hood. By having the unit up high it can see that part of the hood and see the reflection.

The theory I've heard the most for high vs low in terms of laser is that low catches direct laser hits at YOU better, as it's closer to your lights / LP, while high allows your detector to look "through" the windshields of the cars in front of you, helping pick up scatter better.

If you have VEIL or that kind of passive laser deterrent, mount low since it buys you some time when you get a direct hit, and you want to catch as many direct hits as you can.

If you have a jammer or no countermeasures, mount high so you increase your (slim) chances of catching scatter.

Personally I mount pretty low (an inch higher than my wiper blades) because I drive an SUV and even at that position I am both close to my headlights, rear license plate, and I can see through the windshield of most cars.

Sick Water Buffalo
01-25-2007, 05:36 PM
I, too, am pleased with the additional laser sensitivity over my old passport 4500.

The passport used to pick up the microwave from the ground control radar at the airport, but only approaching the unit.

With the XTR 560, I was picking it up from three times further away; you could time the detection to the rotation of the antenna.
The best part was, I was getting the detection going AWAY from the antenna, so it really is forward/ rearward laser detection capable.

The one problem is, the elevated expressway runs parallel to the airport, and the cops like to enforce this particular stretch. As the internal logic of the detector gives precedence to the laser (falsing), I can't pick up any other band... :roll: