PDA

View Full Version : Bought a XRS 9930...

Richard
07-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Hey guys,

Just a n00b here, and right now I feel like an idiot. :shock:

Lucky me went out and bought a Cobra XRS 9930 earlier in the day, without reading these forums first.

Here's my question...

Am I going to suffer from my purchase?

So far it has alerted me to one cop, operating on Ka. Left his radar on, while driving in the opposite direction. But other than that, I've been getting quite a few falses, even in city mode.

I was either going to buy a Bel that was $199, or the Cobra which I end up getting, which was also $199, both at Circuit City. Guy said the Cobra had a nicer interface, and better detection.

Well, at any rate, I'm taking a long road trip to Albany, NY tomorrow, up through some of the most enforced parkways I can think of, the Taconic State Parkway. We'll see how this baby works, although I wont push it too much!

Thanks!

A-TownNavi
07-10-2006, 05:44 AM
The guy is an idiot, hate to tell ya. Cobra sucks at detection, the falsing is horrible, and they leak like no other (they set off other detectors). The Bel was def. the way to go. Return it, get the bel, you will be a much happier person :) .

AirMoore
07-10-2006, 06:36 AM
The guy is an idiot, hate to tell ya. Cobra sucks at detection, the falsing is horrible, and they leak like no other (they set off other detectors). The Bel was def. the way to go. Return it, get the bel, you will be a much happier person :) .

X2, A-Town hit all the right points.

Go back ASAP and get the $199 Bel 895 from radio-shack... against the Ka in New York the Cobra wont stand a chance, the 895 is certainly the better option.

Also... I agree with 'A-Town' the guy who said to you the Cobra was good is an idoit.

bauzer71487
07-10-2006, 08:46 PM

X2, A-Town hit all the right points.

Go back ASAP and get the $199 Bel 895 from radio-shack... against the Ka in New York the Cobra wont stand a chance, the 895 is certainly the better option.

Also... I agree with 'A-Town' the guy who said to you the Cobra was good is an idoit.

X3 - I don't need to add anything else.

sethy
07-10-2006, 08:50 PM
the bel is the way to go, guaranteed. You can also get your detector at www.radarbusters.com PM roy and he'll give you a good deal

Richard
07-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Well, I just got back from my trip to Albany.

On the way up, it went off when I came up on a cop who had someone pulled over already. He left his radar on.

On the way down, it went off when an approaching trooper left his radar on, and then further into the trip it went off well in advance of two troopers parked in the woods, around a curve.

I was impressed that it actually worked in all of the above cases, however, it also falsed MANY, MANY times, including X, K, AND Ka! It drives me nuts! Every damned construction info sign I passed caused the K band to go CRAZY!

I'm going to suck it up, take the 15% restocking fee loss at Circuit City, and return it. I'll probably buy the $199 Bel, even though I'll lose the nice screen. But who needs a nice screen when it falses so much! Ugh!

spankyaf
07-11-2006, 02:35 PM
The Bel will still alert around construction signs. Drones, auto door openers etc operate on the K band frequency and the RD will quite appropriately alert to the signal.

lordhamster
07-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Well, I just got back from my trip to Albany.

On the way up, it went off when I came up on a cop who had someone pulled over already. He left his radar on.

On the way down, it went off when an approaching trooper left his radar on, and then further into the trip it went off well in advance of two troopers parked in the woods, around a curve.

I was impressed that it actually worked in all of the above cases, however, it also falsed MANY, MANY times, including X, K, AND Ka! It drives me nuts! Every damned construction info sign I passed caused the K band to go CRAZY!

I'm going to suck it up, take the 15% restocking fee loss at Circuit City, and return it. I'll probably buy the $199 Bel, even though I'll lose the nice screen. But who needs a nice screen when it falses so much! Ugh!

As has been said before, alerting to construction signs is not a false.

The automatic doors at walmart and cvs and such stores use radar frequency to detect people approaching. They usually operate in the x band and k band, the same bands used by police.

The construction signs and "your speed is " signs are even worse offenders since they are in essence the same "guns" the cops use in their cars... more or less.

So really, when a detector alerts to these it is not really a false.

In my own experience, I've use a V1 which everyone tells me falses like crazy. I also use an x50, which in my area falses at the exact same places as the V1 does. (CVS, Auto Dealer, Grocery Store).

A true false is when the detector just kindof goes off with no signal present. Like some detectors (even high end ones) will sometimes alert to KA band when there is no source nearby.

The real difference you'll see in the cobra and the bel will be in detection distance. The Bels, and especially the higher end bels are capable of detecting radar signals at a much greater range, thus giving you more time to slow down, and more chances of picking up instant on radar.

Richard
07-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Ahh, thanks for clearing the construction sign issue up. Never knew they sent out those signals... :shock:

Well, I'll go to Circuit City tomorrow and see what I can do. Or, if I get real ambitious, I might hang on to this one for a while, and just wait to buy a V1 in a few months. I have some money coming to me then, so it might be worth it to just wait! Then I can sell that Cobra to some sucker on eBay!

Thanks for all of your help!

bauzer71487
07-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Ahh, thanks for clearing the construction sign issue up. Never knew they sent out those signals... :shock:

Well, I'll go to Circuit City tomorrow and see what I can do. Or, if I get real ambitious, I might hang on to this one for a while, and just wait to buy a V1 in a few months. I have some money coming to me then, so it might be worth it to just wait! Then I can sell that Cobra to some sucker on eBay!

Thanks for all of your help!

Get the v1 - order the lifespeed mod and you'll never look back.

Richard
07-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Well, I returned the Cobra the other day, so I figure I'll just wait a while so I can get a V1. I'm gonna look into getting one of those rebuilt ones to save a few bucks.

Thanks for all of your help! :lol:

Sparkknocker
07-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Well, I returned the Cobra the other day, so I figure I'll just wait a while so I can get a V1. I'm gonna look into getting one of those rebuilt ones to save a few bucks.

Thanks for all of your help! :lol:

If you don't like falses u sure the hell arn't going to like the V1

Radar 4 Ever
07-17-2006, 06:13 PM
With the X50 and what ive experienced is that it never falses on Ka.

g60_corrado_91
08-10-2006, 08:54 PM
With the X50 and what ive experienced is that it never falses on Ka.

I can vouch for that too.

JeremyM
08-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Guess I better sell mine!

zfactor
08-11-2006, 12:35 PM
yeah i bought the v1 and man this thing goes off everywhere!!! its almost annoying to me.. it does do great detection wise but man i dont know if i can stand much more... all i hear now while driving is the sound of the v1...

Radar 4 Ever
08-11-2006, 04:15 PM
X50 if you dont want falses bro.

carter840
09-21-2006, 06:11 PM
If the slales person told you wrong info tell them that and they will have no option but to let you return it.

JamesR
11-07-2006, 11:31 AM
I have a new cobra also, why do they suck so bad?? Should I sell it to someone and get a different one? Well the obvious question is yes, okay. Which is my best buy for like 179$$?

Qui-Gon
11-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I have a new cobra also, why do they suck so bad?? Should I sell it to someone and get a different one? Well the obvious question is yes, okay. Which is my best buy for like 179$$?

As was previously mentioned, they false like crazy, and the range on them STINKS (or whichever expletive you prefer)! I have an XRS-9600, and it @#(&@! Your best bet is to buy a high-end detector such as the Passport X50 or any of the BEL models. If stealth is a concern, get the BEL STi.