PDA

View Full Version : talked a while with whistler about the new xtr 560....

zfactor
07-28-2006, 10:21 AM
these are some answers he gave me....

when compared to the pro73 the laser detection is down... it is not as good according to him. but the unit does have better filtering and uses a new antenna even a little different than the pro73 does. this is also part of the filtering. the unit of course does have ku and turning it off will supposedly not affect the other bands like some other units... i just cant understand why they would have lessened the 560's laser capability over the 73 which was supposed to be very good on laser?? they said they did make the ka detection better though... which of course is great but why skimp on the laser side?? i know once your hit etc...... but still it is def a selling point even if nothing else for them doesnt make sense??....

one thing he said was the display has a setting, since it is ridiculously bright from what other are saying.. so at night it will be off until there is a threat... then it comes back on... anyone chime in here who has used it and tell me if this is correct?? just some things i discussed with them and he said from what they were told the unit did VERY well and way better than expected in the 06 tests than they were pretty happy with its performance....

GET 1T DONE
07-28-2006, 01:17 PM
they said they did make the ka detection better though... which of course is great but why skimp on the laser side?? i know once your hit etc......Sounds like you answered your own question. Also, perhaps they wanted to slim down the size of the chassis, which may have lead to a smaller laser eye. With laser jammers being a legal countermeasure, those w/serious threats are gravitating toward real protection, not just a warning that they'll be receiving a ticket in about 30 seconds.

one thing he said was the display has a setting, since it is ridiculously bright from what other are saying.. so at night it will be off until there is a threat... then it comes back on... anyone chime in here who has used it and tell me if this is correct??
Sounds like the opposite of previous models. Like on my 1793SE you can set it to "Dark" mode which really dims the brightness of the display, but then when a threat is detected, the screen blanks so that the LEO can't see that you have a RD from the bright LED display. Of course the audio works unaltered.

just some things i discussed with them and he said from what they were told the unit did VERY well and way better than expected in the 06 tests than they were pretty happy with its performance....I'm glad they didn't let us down. They did very good in SML 2005 tests as well, w/the 1793/Pro-73 doing a little better than the XTR's in maximum range. Though if a little decrease in Laser, X-, and K-bands came at the gain of better Ka- and filtering then... well, you have a decision to make what is more important to you as the consumer.

Michael B
07-28-2006, 08:26 PM
The Laser is the same as the PRO73

zfactor
07-28-2006, 09:50 PM
why did they state it was not?? just curious thanks