PDA

View Full Version : Flaking

cjs180
05-17-2005, 11:48 AM
On my car lights (glass) the Veil is flaking off since I put it on this past Sunday? Did I do something wrong in the prep? how should the headlamps be prepped?

Thanx, Chris

BiGeAsYgUy
05-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Ask Sethy, he is the Earl Scheib of Veil application. :lol:

sethy
05-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Ask Sethy, he is the Earl Scheib of Veil application. :lol:
aint that the truth....I do body painting that is :wink:

Make sure you are not putting to thick of coats onto the headlight. Also, make sure you are not applying it in direct sunlight or the heat of the day. Also make sure that it is not raining or snowing out, because moisture in the air will affect the veils durability while its drying.

Veil Guy
05-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Another thing that I would add. After shaking the material, wait five to 10 minutes before applying.

The coating will go on much smoother and we have found a direct correlation between coating smoothness and resistance to the premature "flaking" you are describing.

Our next production run will include a revised [multi-lingual] manual which states the preferred waiting period.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Veil Guy 8)

cjs180
05-17-2005, 01:17 PM
I will take it all off tonight with alchohal and re-apply after waiting 10 mins. The coats were kind of thick. I put a 2nd coat on after the 1st started flaking, and now that one is doing it too.

I will keep you posted. Thanks, Chris

Veil Guy
05-17-2005, 01:23 PM
cjs180,

Generally I would suggest that you avoid appying two coats.

One good coat should be more than sufficient and up to the task.

A second coat may actually weaken the underlying coat as it [may] partially resolubilize the first coat - particularly if it didn't set-up correctly.

When applying it again, try applying a little bit more at the top of the light and let gravity do its work in flow and leveling out. The coating should basically be absolutely smooth in appearance. If you see a lot of visible streaks, the coating integrity may be compromised.

Will be standing by...

VG 8)

cjs180
05-18-2005, 06:49 AM
Well I put it on again last night. Took all the old stuff off and then etched the glass with 150 grit sand paper to give it some texture. Then I applied it after waiting 10 min's after shaking. We will see what happens.

Chris

cjs180
05-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Well I looked at the glass headlights and it is already flaking off? What can I try next? Everywhere else it is not. My turn signals are plastic and it is not coming off. The laser shield it is not coming off either.

Thanks, Chris

JTW
05-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Put some plastic headlight prodector film on your lights(http://www.vacleartech.com/purchase.htm) and then you can put the veil on top of it.

Chris

brick
05-19-2005, 02:33 PM
I initially had some trouble with my glass headlights. The Veil coating was being scoured off by sand from the road. I don't know why it would be "flaking" like that. How cold is it getting at night after you apply?

Veil Guy
05-19-2005, 02:34 PM
cjs180,

Something may be going on here.

PM me with your contact info, and someone will be getting in touch with you to figure it out...

VG 8)

thestaton
05-21-2005, 06:16 AM
When applying it again, try applying a little bit more at the top of the light and let gravity do its work in flow and leveling out. The coating should basically be absolutely smooth in appearance.

basically this is the technique to end all techniques for my headlights. once I started doing this you seriously cant even tell VEIL is on the lights!!!!

8)

staton

cjs180
06-02-2005, 07:27 AM
I re-did it again. This time temps were higher, did not go below 55 deg. It came out good and is not flaking after 200 miles. I did scuff the headlights up more also. So all is good, just took 4 applications before I got it right.

Chris

sethy
06-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Good to hear. BUt now you should have the feeling of protection