PDA

View Full Version : Rear antennas, x50 mounting, and bubble levels

Veri
05-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Car: black 2003 Corvette coupe. Currently in there is a V1 @ 3.821 (mounted as high as possible, next to rear-view mirror, and set up with a 5sec automute on K), and an x50 in the center console. They take turns. :lol:

Now, the problem is this - while I would ideally mount in the exact center of the windshield, I am unwilling to do so for visibility reasons; that is, I don't want to announce the fact that, well, "HEY! Look what's suction-cupped to my windshield!" The problem with the V1, though, is that the fabric / plastic mount for the driver's side visor mostly obstructs the rear antenna. They're not touching or anything, and I still get rear-arrow alerts, but I have yet to check out any detection differences.

Interestingly, the V1 is perfectly level; the x50 cannot be played with enough to do the same due to its relatively crappy mount. I imagine that doesn't matter, though.

So, does anyone ever find themselves in a similar situation? Did you sacrifice concealment for rear detection, or leave it be?

crazyVOLVOrob
05-27-2005, 08:16 PM
You can get mounts for the rear view mirror for the V1 much like Brick made for his volvo

Veri
05-27-2005, 08:18 PM
You can get mounts for the rear view mirror for the V1 much like Brick made for his volvo

Yeah, and there's a company that makes them, too - but hanging in the middle of the windshield is a bit more obvious than I'd like it to be.

brick
05-28-2005, 07:18 AM

Yeah, and there's a company that makes them, too - but hanging in the middle of the windshield is a bit more obvious than I'd like it to be.

When I see a radar detector in someone's windshield the first thing I notice is the suction cups. The mirror solution does make it more noticeable than if it were tucked up behind the tint line but I think that it's a prety good compromise. I wish I hadn't just sent the thing off to VR. Otherwise I'd post some exterior pics with it installed.