PDA

View Full Version : Clickity-Clack

alphamale
06-06-2005, 11:11 PM
This has probably been covered before, but I can't find it, so I'm going to ask anyway:

Does anyone here have a problem with their 8500-X50 clacking against the windshield with every single bump in the road using the windshield suction cup mount? I have mounted the unit in 3 different cars, and it displays this annoying trait in all three cases. I'm constantly listening to the case knocking against the glass with every suspension jolt, no matter how small. I suppose I could try to put tape on the top back corner of the case, or something. Any suggestions?

:x

raresvx
06-06-2005, 11:56 PM
You must be hitting those bumps pretty hard! It sounds like you dont have your detector level. I go through bumps once in awhile. I dont have any problems.

robert
06-07-2005, 04:01 AM
no issues like that. make sure the RD is straight and level and pushed forward in the holder until it clicks... pushing it too far forward it doesn't click, just back it out a touch and it'll click on.

compu44
06-07-2005, 10:31 AM
This is an issue with my RX as well, rattles like crazy on rough roads.

nvr2fast
06-07-2005, 10:38 AM
I do have that problem as well.

I got a bit of soft electrical tape to put at the back where it touches the window.

It depends on how hard you have your suspension. On my S2000, which is my for racing car, the suspension is set pretty hard. On my other cars, they dont have the same problem. So YMMV.

sethy
06-07-2005, 10:45 AM
It sounds like your detectors arent level, that would explain the clacking of teh case on the windshield.

compu44
06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
It sounds like your detectors arent level, that would explain the clacking of teh case on the windshield.

I keep mine level to a nearly obsessive degree. It's just because my car is a piece and rides rough.

leepoffaith
06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
No Problems here, even though I noticed that my detector sags down a bit. I have it on the closest setting to the windsheild, but it still doesn't seem like enough. I have a pretty slanted windsheild though, so maybe that is why.

VTGT
06-07-2005, 02:49 PM
My suspension is really tight and mine bounced alot. I solved the problem by mounting it above my rear view mirror so that the bottom rests gently on top of the mirror. It doesn't bounce at all now.

CLTX11
06-07-2005, 03:47 PM
trying bending (being careful) the mount and sticking the detector back on like its supposed to be :idea:

alphamale
06-07-2005, 08:25 PM
trying bending (being careful) the mount and sticking the detector back on like its supposed to be :idea:

What exactly do you mean? How should the mount be bent.

alphamale
06-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Well, over the past few weeks, I've tried mounting the detector close in, far out, level, inclined up, inclined down, and different places on the windshield. No matter what, the thing bounces up and down over bumps, and it does it in my Subaru WRX, my Mazda Protege, and My Nissan Maxima. My only guess is that it has something to do with the angle of the windshield as it relates to the suction cup mount.

I also have a Valentine 1, which I've used a windshield mount for for a number of years. There is no bouncing and clacking problem with that unit, possibly because the thing is heavier, and shorter. It is not cantilevered off the windshield quite as far.

compu44
06-07-2005, 08:34 PM
About your best bet would be to mount it with a visor clip, or velcro it to the top of your mirror, or dashboard.

jbird
06-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Try bending the mount well below parallel and attaching it the windshield before putting the detector on it. Then push the detector all the way forward until in clicks in the last hole on the mount. You most likely will have to bend it several times until the RD sits perfectly horizontal on it after being mounted. I have had no trouble with the mount in my car, but I had to play with it quite a bit to get it right before heading out of state in my sister's Expedition last month.

N3T_K1LLA
06-07-2005, 09:01 PM
I have this issue and what I did was i did what everyone else is suggesting, pushing it till the last click and then bending the bracket so it makes it level, unfortunatly the x50 is just so damn topheavy that it will tend to raddle regardless of positioning, the electrical tape is a good idea as a go-between.

With me having a system, it really causes some issues with it hitting the windshield, but the electrical tape between should help a lot, I'll have to try it on mine. Typcially I've noticed that the best place for most mounts on the x50 with systems is the manufacturer's specs (center and low) which makes the rattling stop but it doesn't help you out in detection :( I've got mine mounted right below my rearview mirror and it helps out a lot, doesn't rattle unless I've got my system up pretty loud.

CLTX11
06-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Try bending the mount well below parallel and attaching it the windshield before putting the detector on it. Then push the detector all the way forward until in clicks in the last hole on the mount. You most likely will have to bend it several times until the RD sits perfectly horizontal on it after being mounted. I have had no trouble with the mount in my car, but I had to play with it quite a bit to get it right before heading out of state in my sister's Expedition last month.

I had to do the same. My mount goes all the way into the RD. The last hole is what it secures to. If you dont have it in the further, even though it seems to be more weight trying to push it down, there is more play between the RD and mount.