PDA

View Full Version : V1 Review with a Brief x50 Comparison

Skelevate
06-13-2005, 12:26 PM
V1.8—POP2 with Euro Mode. 3.824 I believe. Settings were at small L the whole way. Nothing modified in settings. Where is the magnesium case?
X50 Revision 5

I purchased a V1 straight from Valentine last week, it arrived in 2 days. Customer service was great. One side note is that Valentine doesn't send out an email with a tracking number from UPS or any emails that say that your purchase has been shipped.

I bought the detector to compare it to my X50. I made a long trip to St Louis Area this weekend for a big paintball practice, about a 6 hour drive each way. I traveled on I-55 most of the way (which is known to use vascar), I-294-briefly ( Laser and Ka used mostly here), I-90 and 290. I knew this would be a sufficient testing area. On the way down, there were 2 laser falses. Both of which were in very flat ground with cornfields everywhere, no LEO's to be found. At the first alert, I didn't think to check for the vehicles in front of me for their known laser falses, but the second time it went off ( an hour later), there was only an older ford explorer in front of me. What could be causing this?? Hmm. The vehicle I was in was a newer GMC Envoy, which didn't have adaptive cruise control to my knowledge.

There was also once instance of a state trooper and a conservation officer on the right shoulder, with a Ka gun left on. The V1 gave about 5 seconds of warning around a slight curve. One thing that upset me was the fact that the V1 didn't go to a "constant tone" for more than a split second after I was passed it. The rear arrows did seem to delay after I was passed the Officer.
Another Ka detection of a state trooper pointed diagonally aiming at our direction of traffic. Ka detection was constant on, and the range didn't seem as long as my X50 for some reason. It was enough for me to slow down, but for a constant on Ka pointed at our direction, I expected more. Sorry that I don't have an exact distance or time from alert to radar location, I wasn't driving at this time.

During the last 30 minutes of my trip, I decided to plug both detectors in. The x50 was in highway mode, and the V1 was in Advanced Logic- L mode. A few minutes later, the x50 alerted to a medium strength Ka Alert. The v1= nothing. As I got closer, the V1 finally started to alert to a medium strength KA ahead, whereas the X50 was at a constant KA sound. This was in city traffic. I was not happy after this.

Some notes/complaints: The V1 isn't as loud as my X50, I don't think anyone can argue that. I wish it had 2 settings like the x50 for loudness level. I guess I will have to get an external speaker for it to catch my attention if i'm listening to music. There is one other thing I noticed about it's sensitivity. The strength bar seems to jump around a lot. When compated to my x50, for constant on situations, the x50 had a much smoother transition on sounds. Meaning, from first alert to actually being on top of the officer was a much smoother transition in sounds. It seems like the X50 goes to a constant tone much earlier than the V1, which I don't like about the V1. I know I can change Ka Sensitivity... would that help? Seems like the V1's range isn't as good... Hmm.
Also, I don't like how the V1 uses LED's to indicate what band it's detecting. Since I'm not used to the sound, and some of the tones sound similar, I like being able to look at the RD and instantly know what i'm detecting. At night with the V1, I have to almost guess where the LED is lighting up at- K, Ka etc. I like how the x50 shows what band is being detected on a screen. The x50's KA sounds and POP sounds are very similar though...
Some things I miss compared to the x50-Auto mute, Being able to tell strength of EACH band with the expert display, Adjustable Dimming
The tones take some getting used to... but maybe you guys can make my V1 experience more enjoyable :) I appreciate any advice and comments.

Overall, I don't know which I'd pick right now. The arrows are something I love. If I can fix or understand the qwerks, the V1 would be my choice. It does "false" a lot, probably because I was in logic mode, but I didn't want to risk it filtering something out, especially since I'm not familiar with what it does/doesn't filter out in Advanced Logic mode.
-JY

nomore55
06-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Plenty of the hi-end Japanese vehicles have laser-based cruise. you may have been experiencing hits from that source. I see it all the time.

From my general observations (from the videos shown here), the X50 appears to have spectacular Ka range that the V1 could never duplicate.

You can't change the Ka band sensitivity on the V1, you can change it to provide a more aggressive warning...I can assure you, mine is set in that mode!

I've never had an issue with the V1's volume but I guess I don't crank the music the way I used to...earned a big ticket once by doing that. :roll:

I find the alert quality and format to be excellent on both units...2nd to none.

I just picked up an X50 a few days ago and have traveled no more than 200 miles so far. It does work very well. I cannot (and will not) say one unit is better - - they're just different. I do REALLY miss the arrow information when running with the X50. That's my biggest concern so far.

Veri
06-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Odd, I've always thought that the V1 had better Ka than the x50 ... sigh :?

happya$$
06-13-2005, 01:42 PM
NOT TO START A FLAME WAR but here are my observations of owning both. The V1 has better Ka range, & K band range (not by much though). It also has better laser detection. Its off axis detection is far greater but at the cost of falsing. Those have been MY experiences. I do like and have both detectors. I also have NEVER had a problem with the tone sounds. They are louder than the X50's so there might be something wrong with your unit

nomore55
06-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Odd, I've always thought that the V1 had better Ka than the x50 ... sigh :?

We have no straight roads...we have many curvy roads and lots of hills. Perhaps I should not try to draw any conclusions on superior sensitivity. I guess I am the victim of watching too many vids here. The one from a couple of weeks ago, where the X50 detected the Ka several miles away, really stuck in my mind.

Many areas of the USA have long, straight, flat sections of highway where detectors can grab the faintest signals miles away. I just don't EVER see this ultra-long range detection in my neck of the woods. I did have a very respectable Ka and K encounter over the past few days....it (the X50) left nothing on the table in terms of grabbing the signal early. I was pleased.

Arvetus
06-13-2005, 02:03 PM
I've never owned an X50, so I can't make a comparison. Personally, I think the V1 does have very good Ka range, but definately not as good as the K band. But we've already discussed why Ka range will never be perfect on a small detector. My Cobra had suckie Ka range, so I guess maybe I don't have much to compare it to. Although last time I was in Florida, I picked up an FHP Ka radar about 2 miles out with the Cobra. Maybe he was using the Stalker. Any other time with the Cobra, the range would suck and it would never go to full alert. Maybe a 2 if I was lucky. I've never NOT had a Ka alert go to full with the V1, and the range is a ton better. I feel more comfortable with the V1 than I did with the Cobra.

In Michigan, I usually get about half a mile or a mile depending on terrain, curves and direction of the squad car.

Even though I'd love to try an X50 because it's a great detector, I'm not sure I could live without the arrows or rear radar antenna that the V1 has. Plus, I like the idea that Valentine Research is a fairly small company, owned by a down to earth, personable individual, they have great customer service because it's a "small business," and the stuff is made right here in the USA. Guess I'm patriotic.

There was also once instance of a state trooper and a conservation officer on the right shoulder, with a Ka gun left on. The V1 gave about 5 seconds of warning around a slight curve. One thing that upset me was the fact that the V1 didn't go to a "constant tone" for more than a split second after I was passed it. The rear arrows did seem to delay after I was passed the Officer.

A possible reason for this would be that if the officer was on the right shoulder, the Ka gun was facing ahead. You're basically just picking up scattered signals reflected from objects in front of you, or leaky radiation that's coming out from the sides and rear of the gun. Also, if the officer was parked in front of the CO, there's also the variable of having the CO's vehicle blocking the leaky radiation.

There's a ton of variables in picking up radar. Because the frequency range is so high, it's VERY "line-of-sight." I would think that Ka detection between the 2 top detector makers should be pretty similar.

During the last 30 minutes of my trip, I decided to plug both detectors in. The x50 was in highway mode, and the V1 was in Advanced Logic- L mode. A few minutes later, the x50 alerted to a medium strength Ka Alert. The v1= nothing. As I got closer, the V1 finally started to alert to a medium strength KA ahead, whereas the X50 was at a constant KA sound. This was in city traffic. I was not happy after this.

Neither I (or a lot of other people on this board) can take this as a vaild test because everyone here knows that placing two detectors close to each other will cause interference between the two when detecting radar. The best thing to do is to try one detector at a time and run it towards the same area that you know will trigger an alert and see which one goes off first.

I know I can change Ka Sensitivity... would that help? Seems like the V1's range isn't as good... Hmm.

Personally, I think the range is good, but yes, by changing the Ka responsiveness, it will alert you more aggressively.

Also, I don't like how the V1 uses LED's to indicate what band it's detecting. Since I'm not used to the sound, and some of the tones sound similar, I like being able to look at the RD and instantly know what i'm detecting. At night with the V1, I have to almost guess where the LED is lighting up at- K, Ka etc. I like how the x50 shows what band is being detected on a screen. The x50's KA sounds and POP sounds are very similar though...

About the only thing you can do here is get to know what bands make what sounds. This goes for any detector. This doesn't bother me because I know the sounds each band makes.

Overall, I don't know which I'd pick right now. The arrows are something I love. If I can fix or understand the qwerks, the V1 would be my choice. It does "false" a lot, probably because I was in logic mode, but I didn't want to risk it filtering something out, especially since I'm not familiar with what it does/doesn't filter out in Advanced Logic mode. -JY

About the only thing you can do is familiarize yourself with it. Drive with it for a bit and get to know how it works. This is the only way you can make a valid test between the two detectors. Both are superb, it's just finding which one suits you best.

carlito
06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
NOT TO START A FLAME WAR but here are my observations of owning both. The V1 has better Ka range, & K band range (not by much though). It also has better laser detection. Its off axis detection is far greater but at the cost of falsing. Those have been MY experiences. I do like and have both detectors. I also have NEVER had a problem with the tone sounds. They are louder than the X50's so there might be something wrong with your unit u are 100% right!

V1 kicks butt! 8)

rdalcanto
06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
The V1 has adjustable volume and adjustable mute volume. Better than the X50 in that both have "infinite" settings compared to 2 for the X50. When it is loud, IT IS LOUD. Are you sure you had it turned up all the way?!?

Also, you can't have the X50 and the V1 on together, the V1 will not work well, so I've read.

Rick

sethy
06-13-2005, 03:02 PM
The V1 isn't as loud as my X50, I don't think anyone can argue that. I wish it had 2 settings like the x50 for loudness level

.... Somthing has to be wrong with the v1 in that case...

vw242
06-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Hey Skelevate what part of northern Il are you from? Here in Fox Lake, IL they have busted out the old x band units as you enter town. Seemed to be low power though. The rest of the squads use ka and k band radar. I ran tests with the x50 and a v1.7 . The results, although not very scientific were impressive. The v1.7 picked up the x sooner but not more than a false in all bogies mode. The x50 in highway gave plenty of warning. I also agree that the ka is exceptional.

Skelevate
06-13-2005, 03:47 PM
I am from Lake in the hills.
I just adjusted the Ka band option, #5, so I'll try this out and figure out which one I want to keep :)
THanks for the comments.

nvr2fast
06-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Photo radar was better on the X50 than the V1 (non EUR). The new EUR V1 i haven't tested so can't say how the new EUR v1s are yet.

But living in HK, the falses on the V1 are impossible to live with. You become immune ot the sounds of the RD. The X50 doesn't have that problem, EVEN IN constant highway mode!

Go figure.

vw242
06-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Get the remote display.