PDA

View Full Version : RX-75 vs Spectre

RX-75
06-28-2005, 08:01 AM
G'day guys.

Have a little story to tell in regards to the NSW (Australia) highway patrol guys along the Yass - Albury stretch. (400km south of SYD)

It was around 21:30 & I was traveling south along the single laned section of the Hume. I approached some slow moving trucks in my high powered sports car & waiting for an overtaking opportunity at well under the speed limit I took the opportunity after a group of cars/trucks passed in the opposite direction.

You get to be aware of your surroundings with a car like mine, so I watched the rear view mirror to see one of the cars in the group that passed the opposite direction had pulled over & thrown a U-turn. Immediately I turned off my RX-75 detector as a precaution. I passed the 2nd truck (within the speed limit) & observed this car had overtaken the first truck & was approaching rapidly to overtake the 2nd. "Its gotta be a cop" I kept thinking & sure enough after overtaking the 2nd truck & sitting on my tail for a km on came the flashing lights.

"We have reason to believe you have a radar detector fitted to your vehicle". Being a bad liar, I couldn't say "No I haven't" so I replied with "What makes you suspect that, I was driving normally wasn't I.?" "Well we didn't like the way you overtook that truck & we got a blip as we passed you. Your driving style & type of car fits the profile for a detector user". He then asked a curious question which has gotten me thinking. "Have you any GPS equipment in the car?" (mental note, fit GPS unit to Cosmo for next time)

Armed with that explanation, I offered for him to search my car. Thankfully, I had time to stuff the remote display terminal to the rear of the compartment & fit gloves, sunnies & other items in front of it. Then the DVD player was opened & turned on. Now covering the closed compartment, the DVD screen also created a curious distraction as I was playing a car racing movie at the time. After several confused attempts to search through the car he was clearly frustrated at not finding anything & asked to look under the bonnet.

With the bonnet popped, he shone his torch all through the grill area & despite landing the beam right on the cover enclosing the AE unit he failed to know what he was looking at as a twin turbocharged triple rotor engine can have a few confusing gadgets under there to the untrained eye. I attempted to install the theory that it could have been the trucks that gave his radar (careful non use of correct terminology) a reading & he would have been better off pulling them over. He agreed it could have been them but was clearly frustrated at missing his catch.

So for spite, he gave me an Unsafe overtaking + Watching TV device fine worth $230 in total & allowed me to continue. Nice guy hey!!!!

I have simply gotta find out if my Beltronics RX-75 can be upgraded against the RDD's out there. Does anyone know if there is a fix coming, next time I cause a "blip" I might have the unit discovered by a more vigilant cop.

REgards

brick
06-28-2005, 08:10 AM
If you don't need X-band or Ku band detection you could use the same waveguide that is sometimes used on the Bel 975R/Target 966 Euro. I believe the antennas are basically identical in shape. It works by attenuating all frequencies below 20GHz. You just fit the horn, wrap the rest of the antenna in aluminum tape or some other metal, and you're good to go.

SmaartAasSaabr
06-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Wow you've got an Eunos Cosmo?
http://www.japancar.ru/data/images/_catcolor/1991/0071.jpg

Turbo RX-7 meets Benz SL...

Hessen
06-28-2005, 03:31 PM
You got Lucky....This Time.... :shock:

You may want to Contact Roy Zegers of ARDS.... :wink:

RX-75
06-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Wow you've got an Eunos Cosmo?

Turbo RX-7 meets Benz SL...

Yeah I have a Eunos Cosmo. Only its not standard like the pic from the Paris photo shoot above.

http://www.dmrh.com.au/images/jces100190ap.jpg

I will certainly contact Roy. In fact, I just e-mailed him this story. Hopefully he has some good news about applying his "Spectre beating" modifications to the RX-75 aswell as the V-1.

SilverNite
12-06-2005, 03:44 AM
how did you go with finding a solution?
i've got the rx75plus (laser jamming) and rate it so highly for out here in oz...

cheers
:roll:

Radar Roy
12-06-2005, 08:14 AM
I have simply gotta find out if my Beltronics RX-75 can be upgraded against the RDD's out there.

There is no "upgrade" for the RX75, however you can get one of those filters from Flitzservices

amoney
12-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Great to have seen this post bumped back up, great story, I would have been sweating bullets with a cop looking over my ride (if I lived in Oz).