PDA

View Full Version : Running Straight Pipes

A-TownNavi
07-02-2005, 07:51 PM
I want to know what are all of your views are on vehicles with V8's and V10's running straight pipes. I have two buddies who have chevys with straights and they are louder than loud. now me being 17, I like it. to me it sounds awesome. personally though i prefer my Flowmaster, I have a single 40series, single in dual out, but im about to upgrade to true dual 40series or Flowmaster racing mufflers (not on Flowmasters website, these are rare). but my question is, what do yall think of these extreamly loud trucks, are they an annoyance, should they be given tickets?

Iknox
07-02-2005, 08:08 PM
when i hear a car like that coming up my ballz reach for the sky lol personaly i love it if i could afford the gas and money i would love to that power.

microsuck
07-02-2005, 08:13 PM
i had straight pipes on my lightning for a while. Honestly, its cool at first but about a week later it starts getting REALLY annoying. especially on a long trip. dont do it. just get some high flow cats and spintech mufflers.

SmaartAasSaabr
07-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Only go this route if your vehicle sounds good. Please don't be like those guys with the Honda Civics and such who put the fartcans on.

If you have a V8, you're probably going to get some of that sexy burble that makes anyone with a bit of gas in their veins look up. It's nice.

But after some time it may become too loud for your tastes. You are already running Flowmasters, not much more left to go... I wouldn't bother.

Might get you a ticket if too loud. But most cops are going to go for the fartcan cars before you in any case.

Iknox
07-02-2005, 08:37 PM
i wounder what the viper sounds like with out muffs

A-TownNavi
07-02-2005, 08:50 PM
yeah, i love the sound of the straight, but after i rode in my buddies tahoe for half an hour i can see how it could get old after a while. any vehicle without a V8 or 10 sounds horrible-example ricers who put fartpipes and a double decker wing on their civic. which is funny in itself because its just taking traction off their front wheels (if they even reach that kind of speed). I was reading a forum on some other website where i guy ran straight on his Viper, he said it sounded awesome

VTGT
07-02-2005, 08:52 PM
I have straight pipes on my Mustang. I didn't like it when I was adjusting to the car since it's painfully obvious to everyone when you miss a shift. But I got used to car and the sound and now I love it...especially when I start it up and it sounds like the world is coming to an end. :D It doesn't bother me at highways speeds...it's actually soothing and almost puts me to sleep sometimes. I think some of my passengers have complained, but I'm not sure since I couldn't really hear them. :) It's also really convenient since I never have to get out and ring the doorbell when I'm picking someone up--they know when I'm there. :)

I agree w/ SAS completely--It only sounds good if you have a large engine.

SmaartAasSaabr
07-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Not necessarily a large engine. I love the V8 sound, but there are a lot of great-sounding motors around... even that 3.4 "Twin Dual Cam" V6 GM was putting in their midsizers in the 1990's. Sounds like a Ferrari!

On a similar vein, Ferrari sound good with straight pipes as well :D

Some cars have tuning done to the exhaust though. I remember the old Triumph TR6 - with the exhaust sounded very very attractive. Rip off the thing and it sounds like some farting bumblebee 4-banger. :x

SmaartAasSaabr
07-02-2005, 09:05 PM
i wounder what the viper sounds like with out muffs

Well, slightly louder than it does with them.

So really good.

A-TownNavi
07-02-2005, 09:13 PM
yeah my buddy with the 97 tahoe love it, when it starts up you swear your next to a monster truck, it scares the livin s**t out of people who are standing next to his tips. Personnally i love the sound, but i also love the patented "FLOWMASTER TONE", and for some reason it sounds absolutly amazing on my navi. so should i keep the flows or run straight? im eventually goin to lift it about 3 inches and add a winch and snorkel to the engine

(in)Sanity
07-02-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure what my friend did to his Viper, but it's pretty loud. It also pops and crackles when you let off the gas. When you nail the gas is when it scares the crap out of you. It's like being on a 1200cc crotch rocket, if it wasn't for the head rest you would swear your going to fly out. Then again the same model beat an F16 down the runway. Not sure if it's straight pipes or not, but it's far more noisy then the stock pipes.

edweird
07-03-2005, 09:17 AM
There certainly are some REALLY LOUD cars, trucks, and motocycles that are deserving of a ticket. Down here, Harleys are the most common offender.

I think you can use an aftermarket exhaust to make things sound better, with out making them sound too loud. The car in my avatar has a nice side exhaust system that's a bit too loud if you were to drive it every day, but as a show and track car, it's perfect. Another one of my cars has mufflers with spring loaded valves inside. Under light driving, it's pretty quiet, and when your foot gets heavy, the valves open up for more flow, power, and noise. I also have a 4 cyl turbo that a previous owner put Flowmasters on. It doesn't quite sound like a V8, but it's not at all buzzy or ricey.

In general, straight pipes and dumps (under a car) are too loud.

Ed

SmaartAasSaabr
07-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Basically remember this:

Quality surpasses Quantity.

thestaton
07-04-2005, 09:42 AM
I had a TurboXS RFL(Really Fk'n Loud) on my Subaru WRX. And yeah it was a straight 3" from the Turboback with no cats and it was cool for a month. Then it got sooooo annoying not being able to carry on a conversatoin with your girlfriend while you cruise on the highway. I'd say just stick with something with a little rumble but not all out!

--staton

microsuck
07-05-2005, 01:17 PM
its the resonation from the exhaust valves being opened while the cylinders are still on the downward cycle AND the ignition timing is being rapidly increased. IE, when you let off the gas. You only hear it on cars with high flow cats, or a car that has resonator-type mufflers. and of course, no exhaust regulating devices.

JettaGLI
07-05-2005, 01:34 PM
I had a TurboXS RFL(Really Fk'n Loud) on my Subaru WRX. And yeah it was a straight 3" from the Turboback with no cats and it was cool for a month. Then it got sooooo annoying not being able to carry on a conversatoin with your girlfriend while you cruise on the highway. I'd say just stick with something with a little rumble but not all out!

--staton

This is a bad thing? Where can I pick up a "RFL" setup :wink: :wink:

NooB1FieD
07-19-2005, 02:05 AM
spintech mufflers.

Oh please tell me you are joking....

microsuck
07-19-2005, 05:59 AM
Sorry, poeple with 11sec timeslips dont joke around. Spintechs are notorious for high tq numbers. I think my dyno speaks for it's self.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/247455_dyno1.jpg

Andrew

Radarboy12312
07-19-2005, 04:57 PM
I want to know what are all of your views are on vehicles with V8's and V10's running straight pipes. I have two buddies who have chevys with straights and they are louder than loud. now me being 17, I like it. to me it sounds awesome. personally though i prefer my Flowmaster, I have a single 40series, single in dual out, but im about to upgrade to true dual 40series or Flowmaster racing mufflers (not on Flowmasters website, these are rare). but my question is, what do yall think of these extreamly loud trucks, are they an annoyance, should they be given tickets?

I want to do this to my Caddy but most of the people I have talked to say that lund pipes and caddys don't mix. What should I do?.

microsuck
07-19-2005, 05:07 PM
I would have to agree with the masses on that one.....

Radarboy12312
07-19-2005, 05:11 PM
I also was talking to a friend and he said that taking them off will get you better gas miles and more hp

microsuck
07-19-2005, 05:19 PM
With one very narrow exception, more HP ALWAYS = MORE FUEL CONSUMPTION.
All removing your exhaust system does is make your car really noisy and fail inspection. It wont be faster at all. And not having o2 sensors will cause it to run mega-rich and get horrible gas mileage.

Radarboy12312
07-19-2005, 05:26 PM
With one very narrow exception, more HP ALWAYS = MORE FUEL CONSUMPTION.
All removing your exhaust system does is make your car really noisy and fail inspection. It wont be faster at all. And not having o2 sensors will cause it to run mega-rich and get horrible gas mileage.

Thanks I will not be taking off my pipes.

How many mods are out for thr 4.9 if any?

This car has balls from 0 to 60 but I want it to even be faster then fast.

SmaartAasSaabr
07-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Sorry, poeple with 11sec timeslips dont joke around. Spintechs are notorious for high tq numbers. I think my dyno speaks for it's self.

Andrew

THAT'S NUTS! :shock: :D

Radarboy12312
07-19-2005, 08:33 PM

Andrew

THAT'S NUTS! :shock: :D

Nice but I have seen faster much faster.

Try 7,s at well over 150MPH now thats fast.

SmaartAasSaabr
07-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Quarter mile? Yeah I've seen it... I've seen 3 second 1320's too but I hang out at the strips... :)

Radarboy12312
07-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Quarter mile? Yeah I've seen it... I've seen 3 second 1320's too but I hang out at the strips... :)

Man 3 seconds now thats fast. I take it that they must be running nitrous and god knows what eles.

microsuck
07-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Yeah, thats actually an older dyno. It hit 486 and 681 before I sold it. I have a turbocharged Honda CBR 929 rr also. It is currently dyno'ing 309 rwhp at 21psi of boost on 118 octane. and it looks stock too. ask outrun. he has seen it. since the bike weighs 390 lbs and has 309 rwhp, that makes its power to weight ratio .7923. If you want to compare it to something, lets take a 2005 dodge viper. The viper has 450 hp at the wheels stock. to be equally fast it would need to have 2,700 rwhp. Pretty much unheard of. If the bike could get traction, the weight and hp calculates an 1/4 ET of 6.2 @ 216. I have had it over 230mph (gps verified) so im pretty sure if i could get a rear tire to hook up it would put out some nice times. I get about 800 miles out of a rear tire and they dont make any stickier tires that are DOT approved. :(

microsuck
07-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Try 7,s at well over 150MPH now thats fast.
Oh, and BTW, 7 sec is going to be over 200

SmaartAasSaabr
07-19-2005, 08:58 PM

Man 3 seconds now thats fast. I take it that they must be running nitrous and god knows what eles.

Maybe I am thinking high 4's actually but something like this speed comes easy!

http://www.jetequipment.com/img/racing/P8_b.jpg

UNTIL you need to turn :lol:

Radarboy12312
07-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Now this is something that you don't see every day.

http://www.dealsonwheels.com/search/detailbig.cfm/Autos__ID/105364

A-TownNavi
12-18-2005, 03:51 PM
alright well today i had the pleasure of hearing AND DRIVING a 2005 Viper running straight pipes :shock: . and i have to say it sounded absolutly amazing. i was at my golf course and i heard him coming atleast .5 mile away, then he goes down a hill at doing appx. 30 mph in 1st then he'd left off the gas and and it would just "POP pop pop...gargle gargle pop gargle pop..." it was awesome, i went down and told him that he had and awesome car and it sounded amazing. he said thank you and then asked me if i wanted to DRIVE it. :D :D :D . he let me drive it around the entrance road to the golf course, appx a mile long. and man that thing is FAST and LOUD. this ranks right up there with one of the best days of my life :lol: . i only got to get up to 3rd but that was fast enough for me :lol: . what a rush.

ZO6Vette
12-26-2005, 02:01 PM
Sounds allright to me, I like it, but only on muscle cars or sports cars. I get dissapointed when I hear a loud noise rolling down the block and its a darn truck or suv making me think its a muscle car. I just got back my 75 chevy nova and it has a 30 series flowmaster mufflers with true dual exhaust, hedders and 3-1/4 inch pipes with a dyno'd rebuilt 435hp/630ft lbs torque, 454 big block ls6 out of a 70' chevelle. If you want to hear a loud and just nasty sounding mean car, you gotta hear this car revving up. I like pipes, but if you want to be able to talk while rolling around, dont make it too loud.

SmaartAasSaabr
12-26-2005, 02:04 PM
You got a true LS6 in there? That's gotta be worth a mint... and damn, a Rat motor weighs the same as your Nova does minus engine! :lol: :lol:

A-TownNavi
12-26-2005, 02:25 PM
I just got back my 75 chevy nova and it has a 30 series flowmaster mufflers with true dual exhaust, hedders and 3-1/4 inch pipes with a dyno'd rebuilt 435hp/630ft lbs torque, 454 big block ls6 out of a 70' chevelle.

OMG your my new best friend :lol: