PDA

View Full Version : Radar use by NJ State Police

midd
07-05-2005, 11:31 AM
There have been many disputes about what bands of radar that the NJ State Police use. Well I went straight to the horse's mouth and emailed them about a month ago. I found this response in my mailbox today:
---------

I am Sgt. Stephen Ritter of the Research and Anaylsis Unit of the New
Jersey State Police (NJSP). I am in receipt of your e-mail that you
sent to the State of New Jersey in reference to radar units.

Currently there are three unit being used by the NJSP to measure the
speeds of motor vehicles. The MPH K-55 is the main unit used and is in
every marked unit that is assigned to a road station. The LTI Marksman
20/20 is another unit used which as you know laser technology. The
third unit used is also a laser unit and is the LTI Ultra Light.

We are looking into other radar units at the time. They are MPH Bee III
and Stalker units which are both directional radar using K band and are
digital. After testing both of these units I can see that they are well
suited for the type of work we do. The process of changing over is a
monumental task and should take about a year or two.

Thanks for your e-mail and if I can be of any other assistance you can
contact me. You have my e-mail from this communication and all my other
info is listed below.

Sgt. Stephen L. Ritter #5509
Research & Analysis
609-882-2000 Ext. 2237

brick
07-05-2005, 01:13 PM
BEE III = POP. The plot thickens...

SmaartAasSaabr
07-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Hmm it does.

What exactly did you say to the police anyway? I sent a quick email to the SQ just now...

EastGermanOlympicJudge
07-06-2005, 02:23 AM
The LTI Marksman 20/20 is another unit used which as you know laser technology. The third unit used is also a laser unit and is the LTI Ultra Light.

This is fantastic information; thank you for your effort and for sharing.

Would someone care to characterise these laser guns? i.e. "newest generation; all you NJ drivers are going to fry under its beam" or "old technology; RMR stuff could probably jam it." ... or somewhere in between. :wink: TIA.

JTW
07-06-2005, 03:13 AM
The LTI Marksman 20/20 is another unit used which as you know laser technology. The third unit used is also a laser unit and is the LTI Ultra Light.

This is fantastic information; thank you for your effort and for sharing.

Would someone care to characterise these laser guns? i.e. "newest generation; all you NJ drivers are going to fry under its beam" or "old technology; RMR stuff could probably jam it." ... or somewhere in between. :wink: TIA.

I would love to explain the differences for you.

The LTI 20/20 is a first generation lidar gun. It can't be used in snow, sleet, or rain. It doesn't have a HUD display and it's pretty heavy. The unit uses glass lenses for longer range. After the 20/20 came out LTI upgraded the gun to the Marksman model. I'm not sure if this gun has a HUD or not(heads up display- shows the speed in the scope.)

The LTI Ultralyte(LRB, LT100, 100LR, 200LR) are third generation lidar guns. LTI came out with the LT100 after the Marksman and found out that the plastic lens inside the third generation gun was hindering the longer distance reading. LTI took out the plastic lenses, replaced them with glass ones, and the range was bumped up to 3280 feet. The gun was renamed the 100LR after the lenses were replaced. The LT100 range is 2000'. Police officers loved the range, but didn't like how complicated the LT100 and LR version were. Laser technology then came out with the LRB to answer the requests of the officers. The LRB is exactly the same as the 100LR in performance. The only difference is the LRB is much easier to use. It has one touch weather mode and the user menu is simplified. The 200LR has accident mapping software. Everything else about the unit is the same. The Ultralyte compact has the same software and range as an LR, but it doesn't have a HUD display and gun handle to safe on cost.

If you have any questions let me know.

Chris

http://www.radardetector.com.au/images/LTI-20.jpg
Marksman lidar gun. It looks like it has a HUD display.

http://www.radarfalle.de/technik/ueberwachungstechnik/images/ulhand.jpg
LTI Ultralyte. God I love this gun!

JTW
07-06-2005, 03:22 AM
Want a laser gun with some kick-a$$ range? The laser atlanta has a range of up to 4,000 feet!

EastGermanOlympicJudge
07-06-2005, 05:13 AM
Awesome information. Thank you very much! Looks like us NJ drivers have our work cut out for us.

midd
07-06-2005, 06:23 AM
When I emailed the state police, I told them I was a radar enthusiast. I told them I knew about the MPH K-55 series and the LTI Marksman 20/20. I asked what other types of speed measuring units did they use.

I plan on replying to ask about the use of POP mode. Before I do so, doesn't MPH recommend that it not be used as a sole source for measuring speed?

JTW
07-06-2005, 07:05 AM
When I emailed the state police, I told them I was a radar enthusiast. I told them I knew about the MPH K-55 series and the LTI Marksman 20/20. I asked what other types of speed measuring units did they use.

I plan on replying to ask about the use of POP mode. Before I do so, doesn't MPH recommend that it not be used as a sole source for measuring speed?

You are correct. This is stated on MPH's website.

Keep in mind that other city and county departments may be using other radar guns. In Washington State I've seen several different laser gun brands used by different departments and counties.

midd
07-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I am well aware that local LEO's in my state use different types of radar. As my topic states, I am specifically mentioning the NJ State Police.

SmaartAasSaabr
07-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Well here is what I got...

Bonjour, je besoin savoir les differents types de radars et lasers
utilisés par le SQ au Québec. J'ai vu quelques modèles en operation
(LTI 20/20, quelques Spectre RDD, etc.) mais je veut un liste complet
des radar/laser/etc utilisé maintenant par le SQ. Aussi les types de
RDD utilisé aujord'hui (comme VG2, Spectre I, Spectre II, etc)

Merci,

And get back...

Bonjour madame, monsieur,

Nous accusons réception de votre courriel, lequel a été retransmis au service ou à la personne concernée.

Vous recevrez bientôt de la Sûreté du Québec une réponse à votre demande ou votre interrogation.

Espérant le tout conforme à vos attentes.

Direction des communications

midd
07-06-2005, 04:12 PM
And that says??.....

JettaGLI
07-06-2005, 04:28 PM
the fish gives me this:

Hello Madam, Sir, We acknowledge receipt of your courriel, which was retransmitted with the service or the person concerned. You will receive soon Safety of Quebec a response to your request or your interrogation. Hoping for the whole conforms to your waitings. Direction of the communications

or your interrogation. :?

sethy
07-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Want a laser gun with some kick-a$$ range? The laser atlanta has a range of up to 4,000 feet!
Tagged a car at over 5,300, I couldnt even see the thing :)

sethy
07-06-2005, 04:46 PM
you will not hear me complain about bee III's being sold into the market, the only thing I am truely worried about is the Z-series

thestaton
07-06-2005, 04:51 PM
is the Z series the ones that have pop built in? and have proven to be inaccurate?

staton

kpatz
07-06-2005, 05:04 PM
The BEE IIIs have 67ms POP, and the Z series have 16ms POP.

The shorter the POP duration, the harder it is to detect, and the more likely that it will produce an inaccurate speed reading.

midd
07-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Here is my reply that I have sent to Sgt Ritter at the NJSP:

Sgt. Ritter,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to email and providing me with the information you have given.

By your response I'm assuming that the NJSP will be using both the Stalker and the MPH Bee III radar units? I'm also assuming that this switch is being done for both technological reasons as well as cosmetic as I have observed that the MPH k-55 series takes up a big part of the front dash in your vehicles.

Regarding the MPH Bee III, I am aware that this unit incorporates a technology known as "POP mode." MPH has gone on record as stating the following on their web site at http://www.mphindustries.com/products_home/radar_pop.html

"MPH recommends that the officer obtain a tracking history of a speed violator by operating the radar in normal transmit mode after determining with POP mode that the vehicle is speeding. This is because most radar case law is based on tracing a vehicle in normal radar operation. The information obtained in POP mode is accurate and reliable, but may not be supported by case law in court."

Is this a practice that will be implemented by the NJSP? Or is it to early to tell?

Once again, I thank you for taking the time in getting back to me.

midd
07-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Sgt. Ritter replied to my latest email:

You hit it on the head. We are looking at both units, but with the tape
we have to go through it will be some time down the road. Years at
that. B-III has a POP mode which I have ran and is very useful with
the tracking history. Both units as I am sure you are aware also have a
fast window which will display a faster car other then the one you are
tracking. For instance I am tracking an 18 wheeler and a motercycle
passes it. I will begin a tracking history on that motorcycle also.
And the size of the unit is much smaller which would help.

Research & Analysis

thestaton
07-10-2005, 10:48 AM
that is some good info and to think all we had to do was ask :)

--staton

kpatz
07-10-2005, 03:47 PM
So does that talk of tracking history mean they won't be using POP?

kap1027
07-10-2005, 07:29 PM
uh oh, im scared now.... how is it useful with the tracking history? shouldnt they still follow up the POP hit with a normal burst of instant on?

crazyVOLVOrob
07-10-2005, 09:06 PM
shouldnt they still follow up the POP hit with a normal burst of instant on?They should but cops are sneaky and most likely won't do that

JTW
07-11-2005, 12:43 AM
is the Z series the ones that have pop built in? and have proven to be inaccurate?

staton

I would like to see proof the Z POP is not accurate from a source other than Mike V. I believe Mike is right, however it would be nice to have another credible source to confirm this.

brick
07-11-2005, 05:16 AM
I would like to see proof the Z POP is not accurate from a source other than Mike V. I believe Mike is right, however it would be nice to have another credible source to confirm this.

I think that his theory is correct but I highly doubt that the errors in practice are nearly as high as he speculates. (I've hit something like 400mph in that little POP game they have on the site.) How could a company actually put something like that into production?

Beeej259
07-12-2005, 10:48 AM
It's So easy, in fact one company alerady exists! Rocky mountain radar

midd
03-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Just a follow up on my email to Sgt. Ritter of the NJSP. Yesterday I was travelling the NJ turnpike heading north. Once I got past exit 10 or so, most of the cruisers were no longer bearing the recognizable K-55 X band antenna. From what I could see the radar antenna and display were compacted on the dash between the windshield and steering wheel.

I decided to email Sgt. Ritter again this morning. He replied back already:

As we spoke back then, you are correct. It will take some time. Right
now the Turnpike is in a testing stage and will have both Stalker and
B-III out there. The Traffic Bureau is also collecting data for a
private entity to read. After all types of weathers and conditions are
tested and the results are made, we will then determine what
specifications are required and bidding will begin.

This process is expected to take some time yet, but we are confident
that it will be the best for the motoring public.

As before, if there is anything else I can do for you do not hesitate
to contact me.

Administrative Officer
Traffic Bureau
609-882-2000 Ext. 2238

>>> "" <midd33@iwon.com> 03/15/07 10:08 AM >>>

Sir,

You may or may not remember our correspondence with each other from
almost 2 years ago so I included it with this email. Yesterday was my
first journey to northern new jersey in a few years. After exit 10 on
the Turnpike, I had a few cruisers go by me. I couldn't help but
noticing the absence of the easily recognizable MPH K-55 antenna that
has been accustomed to NJSP vehicles for so many years. At first I
couldn't notice anything. However as a few more passed by, I did notice
a small antenna and panel on the dash in front of the steering wheel.
I'm assuming these are one of the newer units you previously discussed
with me in 2005. I was just curious if both the Stalker and MPH Bee III
are being used or was one unit chosen over the other?

The most intriguing part of all this was that on my return heading
south, it seemed that after exit 10 maybe even 8, I noticed the
reemergence of the K-55 Antenna in the police vehicles. So I guess you
were right when you said it would take some time, even years for a
complete transition.

Once again, I thank you for your time for reading this.

yemntftb
03-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Thats very interesting? K-band? Keep us posted this is important.

Spinner55
03-18-2007, 10:05 PM
:?

Hello,

If i remember right, you cannot lock a speed in via pop? Jimbonzz you have played with one...enlight us lowly peasants. LOL

Take care,

Spinner

GET 1T DONE
03-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Oh man. As long as it doesn't get below Exit 8 :shock:

Keep the K-band, POP, and laser up above I-195! It's WAY more congested up there... that's where you need it... yeah... so leave us south jersians alone! haha

Though best solution is don't waste taxpayer's money on more expensive, unnecessary RADAR technology upgrades.

USE THE MONEY TO FIX ALL THE F'ING POT-HOLES THAT CONTINUE TO RUIN OUR SUSPENSIONS AND WHEELS YEAR-ROUND!

It's ridiculous that all this money gets allocated to upgrade radar-units when the state can't even keep the roadways in safe operating condition! Get your priorities straight!