PDA

View Full Version : gatso in mimic mode ?? and anti detector system!

laserblaster
07-06-2005, 08:55 AM
this is a strange one which i'm sure ''flitsservice'' can answer!

i read through my snooper sd815i manual and it says about gatsos...

it says that when the cameras not present it either doesnt respond or it give a very weak signal at very short notice!

i tried to see if this was true... but it hards to see if there is a camera in some of them..... but i do keep getting low warnings, theres one gatso in my area which everytime i go passed it i'm starting to go into the lines before it beeps! it does it when i'm going towards it aswell, it beeps only when i'm right on top of it! i thought it may have a dummy radar or a radar or which is not calabrated!

its on a duel carrageway which is 40mph.....

but most gatsos give mega warning when your driving towards the front of them..

here is what the manual says about gatsos and mimic mode-----------

gatso cameras operate on k band and trasmit a continuous signal.
however they are extremely low powered and face away from the traffic, targeting the rear of the vehicles. assuch it is very difficult to detect the signal at long range as the detector only receieves ''reflected'' signals or radar scatter. your detector will responce with a weak k band indicator together with a slow bleep that will increase as you approach and pass the camera. you will not normally get the highest response until about 25 meters passed the camera its target area.

however it should be noticed that that most cameras are not active or are in standby mode using ''mimic'' settings that just flash a speeding motorist. under theses circumstances the actual camera is not present and the radra unit operates at low power. your detector will eaither not respond if the camera is not in use or will give a very weak signal at very short range if the gatso is in ''mimic'' mode ..

does the camer have an effect of radar power if its not present!

also how does that gatso meter anti detector system work!
someone said its like an rdd!

thanks
jim

Flitsservice.nl
07-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Never heard of it. I know that a Gatso has 2 settings: Range 1 and Range II, that has to do with power output, but in most cases you should get a normal reading.

I don't know your detector, but a dummy radar is nothing more then a simple dooropener transponder looking straight ahead:

http://www.flitsservice.nl/rpics_2002/16032002/antidec/DSC00581.JPG

This results in very poor detection from behind, detector going of next to the Gatso, but from the front you will get a really far away alarm, because it beams straight ahead instead of an angle.

Here is a look at the display. You will see the range button, direction -> <- and <> and automatic or manual and the speed setting.

http://www.flitsservice.nl/rpics_2005/08042005/N48_HMP114/004.jpg

You need to put the links in a separate browser, since our server doesn't allow deeplinking pictures.

laserblaster
07-06-2005, 09:21 AM
thanks for the reply....

is it quite strange... how i'm getting daft detection ranges!

you have a pic of the anti detector system, but do dont say what it does..

cheers
jim

antilaser
07-06-2005, 10:34 AM
AFAIK radar's don't alter their power output when you switch range settings, but change the way they calculate data received from the antenna. The radio oscillators on such high frequencies are usually designed for specific power supply voltage and I don't think that lowering that voltage is advisable for proper oscillator operation.
In other words, RD detection range should be the same weather the radar is in Range1 or range 2 setting. Detection range greatly depends on the circumstances of the location and traffic.

laserblaster
07-06-2005, 06:17 PM
thats what i've always thought!

thanks for the info..

Ford_Power1
07-07-2005, 09:43 PM
antilaser
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:34 am Post subject:
AFAIK radar's don't alter their power output when you switch range settings, but change the way they calculate data received from the antenna. The radio oscillators on such high frequencies are usually designed for specific power supply voltage and I don't think that lowering that voltage is advisable for proper oscillator operation.
In other words, RD detection range should be the same weather the radar is in Range1 or range 2 setting. Detection range greatly depends on the circumstances of the location and traffic.

This can not be possibly true for Multanova, at least not the ones we have here in Australia. The reason I say this is because EVERYTIME I encounter a Multanova on a road which is 4-5 lanes wide, I pick it up on my detector from WAY back, however, when I encounter a Multanova on a one or two lane road, the detection range is always relatively short.

Now I always sit in the second lane for improved radar reception from the photo radar and I even if I am approaching the Multanova from the same lane, (lane 2 on four-five lane roads, and lane 2 on one-two lane roads) I get VASTLY different warning distances - presumably due to the fact that the camera must transmit at a higher power in order to monitor more lanes of traffic.

Cheers,

Ford_Power

laserblaster
07-07-2005, 11:38 PM
could be that theres more traffic on the road which reflects radar!

but it could be right but multinova isnt gatsometer!

ggrrr damn low powered gatsos!

gps picks them up but at a suscription price!!

Ford_Power1
07-08-2005, 12:40 AM
laserblaster
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:38 pm Post subject:
could be that theres more traffic on the road which reflects radar!

but it could be right but multinova isnt gatsometer!

ggrrr *BEEP* low powered gatsos!

gps picks them up but at a suscription price!!

Sorry, I should have stated as well as everything I wrote above that I meant there is no traffic around.

Ford_Power

antilaser
07-08-2005, 02:57 AM
There is only one way you could see for yourself. Same location, same traffic conditions( preferably no traffic at all in all directions around the site). You pass by the radar, note the warning distance and stop by the policeman and ask him to change the range setting. And then pass the radar from the same direction and circumstances again and note the range again. Different sites ( obstacles, bushes, trees, vehicles) even people in the vicinity will alter the scatter of the radio wave of the radar.

Flitsservice.nl
07-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Multanova also has a powersetting in its menu.

antilaser
07-08-2005, 09:20 AM
From the manual of the Multanova 6F that I am reading it says that there are three range settings (near, medium and far). It doesn't strictly say that the radar is altering its power output. Perhaps Multanovas in NL are different.

laserblaster
07-08-2005, 10:04 AM
i'm sure if it has far setting then the power of the radar will have to be higher!

the multi novas were designed to be hard to detect!

Flitsservice.nl
07-09-2005, 03:02 PM
From the manual of the Multanova 6F that I am reading it says that there are three range settings (near, medium and far). It doesn't strictly say that the radar is altering its power output. Perhaps Multanovas in NL are different.

P=V * A. The power output can be adjusted without changing voltage. Changing voltage would change the frequency. I have a K band source and when I increase the voltage, my detector will stop beeping, because it changes freq.

T-T
07-09-2005, 03:20 PM

Yes, Multanovas have 3 settings for distances and it cause 3 level of power output (which is max 0.5mW only in case of maxiumum range).
K-band Gatsos have 20mW power output as I know.

antilaser
07-09-2005, 03:26 PM
P=V * A. The power output can be adjusted without changing voltage. Changing voltage would change the frequency. I have a K band source and when I increase the voltage, my detector will stop beeping, because it changes freq.

Ok, maybe there is a way to change to power output of the oscilator gunn diode without changing the voltage applied..

Flitsservice.nl
07-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Change the Amp's ;-)