PDA

View Full Version : Which to use Auto mode or switch??

David
07-07-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm still geting used to my 8500 X50 Blue and my driving area. I was just curious if I should just use the Auto mode or manually switch from Highway to City depending on where I'm driving.
If you guys are screaming down the open freeway do you use Auto or Highway and Why?
Sorry if my newbie questions are stupid.

David

korn858
07-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Well I'll try and help but please remember I'm in California.. I allways have it in Highway mode. X band turned off. Tone on high. Expert meter. POP off, too many falses for me, and I don't think it's a threat here yet. Also X is not a threat to me hear either. Hope this helps, good luck...

holein1
07-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Just leave it in auto mode and you'll be fine :wink: I have driven past known radar sources in both auto & highway mode and didn't notice any real difference in range. As far as turning x band off well I would't turn it off unless your positive it's not being used in your area.

compu44
07-08-2005, 02:14 AM
I run Highway when in rural areas and on the highway, city when in town, and autoscan only when in unfamiliar towns. Bel told me that autoscan can delay alerts up to one second in the worst case, and i've had one encounter where one second made all the difference.

robert
07-08-2005, 04:09 AM
Bel told me that autoscan can delay alerts up to one second in the worst case, and i've had one encounter where one second made all the difference.

This is why I always switch between Hwy and City. Most often I only really just leave it on Hwy anyway and use City if I need the X band on "Lo". Autoscan scares me :wink:

David
07-08-2005, 07:14 AM
First, I must say you guys rock. There is nothing better than real world advice. This is why I joined the 8500 X50 Cult...lol. This RD is one amazing little piece of hardware. I was a little bit concerned with dropping so much cash for a RD. I now have zero regrets. It gave me an K-band warning on 635 south near Garland last night so far in advance that after I slowed to 65, I still had to wait almost 30 seconds before I saw the HP car. Amazing!! Well thanks again.

David.

sethy
07-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Autosensitivity only affects X band, and still gives you about 10-20 seconds to react to an Z band threat.

Heck, I drive on A on the highway and have encountered a cop, thought it was a false until the thing was 1 c click away from full alert, STILL had enough time to go from 80 to 55

happya$$
07-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Autosensitivity only affects X band, and still gives you about 10-20 seconds to react to an Z band threat.

Heck, I drive on A on the highway and have encountered a cop, thought it was a false until the thing was 1 c click away from full alert, STILL had enough time to go from 80 to 55

Is this a FACT that A mode only effects X band?

Skelevate
07-08-2005, 11:10 AM
WE had this argument before... and the manual isn't too clear.
I have tried all the modes, and NONE of them seem to have effected k/ka/laser detection, no matter what mode i'm in.

I'm 90% positive it's solely for xband.

sethy
07-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Its hasnt been 100% confirmed, but I have sat by a very very weak K symbol. switched it to highway and then back to auto. I am willing to bet my left nut

it makes no difference...

JettaGLI
07-08-2005, 11:30 AM
I have tried all the modes, and NONE of them seem to have effected k/ka/laser detection, no matter what mode i'm in.

I think there has to be some filtering on City mode at least. I mean what you're saying is that if I turn X off, then all three modes are identical?

I would think City would give some more filtering to at least K. Who knows thoough.

I have X off (never seen a cop in MA with X), POP off, expert mode, and switch between c/h.

-Bill

sethy
07-08-2005, 11:37 AM
City affects only X, autoscan affects only X

City simply reduces sensitivity,

autoscan breaks the wave into 32 channels, and if 4 are above a certain threshhold it will alert

JettaGLI
07-08-2005, 11:43 AM
City affects only X, autoscan affects only X

City simply reduces sensitivity,

autoscan breaks the wave into 32 channels, and if 4 are above a certain threshhold it will alert

So by turning X off I effectivly have three of the exact same settings? This isn't such a bad thing, I can just leave it on H all the time, or even turn any indication of what mode it is in off :D

Sorry I don't really get what you meant by the 32 channels, I don't know much about the actual phsyics of radar.

-Bill

PassportToSpeed
07-08-2005, 03:50 PM
I've noticed that using auto filters out the pop falses from other detectors. When in Hwy mode a Cobra detector will make it POP. I found this out on my trip to OKC last week while following a car with a Cobra.

compu44
07-08-2005, 04:55 PM
I've noticed that using auto filters out the pop falses from other detectors. When in Hwy mode a Cobra detector will make it POP. I found this out on my trip to OKC last week while following a car with a Cobra.

I tried this yesterday and it didn't help me any. Must only work against some models of the Cobra junk.

PassportToSpeed
07-08-2005, 07:01 PM

maybe we should start a thread that asks all Cobra owners to throw away that piece of junk and pick up one of the Big 3.

sethy
07-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Some protection is better then no protection...

crazyVOLVOrob
07-08-2005, 08:00 PM
I use Autoscan in false areas and Highway every where else

CLTX11
07-08-2005, 11:51 PM

I am going to say only X as well. I drove around with Auto for the longest time and switched to HWY mode. The K falses are still the same. I leave it in HWY all the time whether it be in the city or on the HWY. Get used to the K band falses, leave it in Expert mode and track em down that way!

TexasRed
07-17-2005, 09:25 PM
I still had to wait almost 30 seconds before I saw the HP

You saw a TXDPS on 635?! :shock:

I never see 'em anywhere else but the tollway and George Bush