PDA

View Full Version : New user for RX65 and so far NO good

liquid0715
08-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Okay here is the thing. I have been reading all the forums, and reviews of detectors. It seems that RX65 is definitely considered to be the best by few hundred people including the experts.

I was using the PNI silver bullet for over a year now. I was very happy with the unit practically no annoying false alerts, very quiet. I had it corded not cordless mode as i know that makes a big difference. I just read recently that it does not make a difference with the PNI if it is corded or not, it is the same detection range. ALthough i find that very hard to believe just from common sense, 3V vs. 12V. I just recently got a ticket because I had the normal filter mode on and i got busted by X band most likely and the thing didnt even make a noise. Later that night on my way back i had all filters off and the detector was going off on X on the same road with several cops so i thought thats why it didnt go off before.

Nevertheless, I got a good deal on RX65 (retail authorized dealer) so i figured i might as well get it since everyone thought Silver B. was a POS and Rx65 is practically the detector GOD. So far nothing but false alerts. ran through what must of been two speed traps and not a peep. it is going off in the same spots with the Silver B at same locations with no better distance. and this last thing i find interesting. When ever i would drive in front of Newark Airport the SIlver would go off in Laser. the Rx65 went off in the same spot as K band. I figured the Silver was wrong but i read in this forum that it should go off in Laser because airport wind measurment instruments use same frequency as Laser band.

All of these things are making wonder tremendously like i just took a $350 dildo you know where. the SIlver was a gift but nonetheless it was half the price. I have the 4.5 version and I dont know if the unit is defective but i highly doubt it. Now this is where im puzzled, can all of you fanatics of Rx65 be wrong and the 4 people ouf ot like 20 who like the silver B be right. I mean the odds are very slim. Everyone like BEL and everyone disapproves of the SIlver but so far I have yet to see this. Anyone care to wager any thoughts on this. I am not insulting anyone or any product but i mean how can 80 people on review boards be wrong. I dont know whats going on.

KnightHawk
08-03-2005, 12:50 AM
I had never tried the PNI but would like to suggest to use both at the same time. I am currently testing all top 3 RD's right now. You have to identify what was triggering your RD's - i mean using the Bel and PNI. If you are not able to find the source of the alert, you can never judge an RD's effectiveness and this takes time.

PassportToSpeed
08-03-2005, 12:57 AM
The true test will be on the Hwy with Instant on KA. I would think this is where you see the dif. in the two detectors. I wouldnt be too concerned about falses. The real threats are what counts.

aust3333
08-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Don't know what is going on with your detector but my RX65 works very well. When I purchased it, I will admit that I was not expecting too much but I must say that it is everything that is advertised. I owned a Whistler Pro 73 before the RX65 and it is like night and day. Dont get me wrong, the Pro 73 is a good unit for the price but the falsing was too much for me. Especially on Ka band which is the weapon of choice by officers in my area. I have only owned the RX65 for 3 weeks but I am yet to receive a false Ka alert. The range also has just been incredible. I'm not sure if you have a defective unit or not, but I think if you give the RX65 time, you will definitely start to appreciate it. Also, try mounting the RX65 unit high (above your rearview mirror) and see if that changes things. My RX65 seems to perform better mounting high. Check back with us after a couple more days of use and let us know if things have changed.

jbird
08-03-2005, 05:29 AM
A cordless detector whether plugged in or not still behave the same except for one model that is new and capable of detecting POP radar. These units power off and on to save batteries. This feature is part of how it is made. Even if the cigarette adapter is used the detector still powers on and off. It is this behavior that makes POP detection almost nonexistant and makes detection of instant on radar much more difficult. This could explain why your detector never made a peep especially if you got hit by laser.

I personally avoid any filtered modes on my detector and will not cut X-band off or down in sensitivity as the highway patrol and a few locals still use this along some of my routes. This makes the RX65 very chatty in the city where I tend not to be speeding anyway. In fact I turn the volume down and really only react to K band in the "wrong" place or Ka band. If the RX65 does not suit your needs then get rid of it while you still can and keep looking for something else.

brick
08-03-2005, 05:35 AM
False alerts come with a more sensitive detector. That's just something that we have to deal with if we are looking for better range on real threats. Many cops don't even run radar while they are driving (I might actually say that most around me drive around with the radar turned off). So it's not necessarily missing anything. And as for the airports, they are absolutely loaded with electronic devices and radar signals. I always get a K-band alert when I approach the airport here and I can never figure out where it's coming from.

Bottom line, what you are experiencing is probably normal. As you get used to the detector you will learn to recognize what is a false and what is probably not a false. And, if you still really hate it, there is always Ebay. I hope it won't come to that, though.

How long have you had the RX65?

kap1027
08-03-2005, 06:24 AM
if you're driving past Newark on the turnpike i know exactly where that k-band false is. i always get it with my X50, and mute it because the state police are the only ones who patrol the road, and they use x-band.

sethy
08-03-2005, 06:32 AM
I wouldnt sweat. The officers that you ran into in the speedtraps may have been or VASCAR or laser. the detector really wont pick any of those 2 up... Or maybe he wasn't doing anything at all. You get that from time to time.

I bet that the PNI Silver bullet got laser around that airport, because I bet you 500 bucks that the laser sensitivity on the PNI is better then the rx65.

I think your ok man, you made a good switch.

liquid0715
08-03-2005, 07:55 PM
thanks for all the comments. I will get back to you guys after couple of weeks of use. I hope it will be good news rather than bad. my Rx65 is mounted in the middle of the windshield since i didnt buy the direct cable plug yet, thats when it will be mounted up high.

Beeej259
08-04-2005, 09:01 AM
liquid, I drive past Newark all the time. I'm in Bergen county. In the Newark area and other urban/city areas, a radar detector will give off "false" alerts because all the buildings are using motion sensors on the exact same frequency of police radar. So technically, these are not false alerts.

NJ state troopers use X and laser, and newark airport will false laser all day long because of their radar system for planes. You didn't pick up the NJ cops because NJ Cops keep their radar off until you are within targeting distance, then they instant on the radar and/or laser and nail you. On the parkway and turnpike, you cannot just speed alone or you WILL get a ticket. You need to keep a rabit about .2 miles in front of you so he gets targeted, you pick up an early warning and slow down.

Usually when there are so many false alerts around an area like Newark, I won't speed because you never know what is a real or fake laser/radar alert there.