PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Parent Companies???

f_399
08-03-2005, 12:21 AM
I would like to know interesting parent companies?

like Ferrari owned by Fiat...

mazda kinda owned by ford

opel by GM?

ZO6Vette
08-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Honda by Acura is another I think. I think Acura is the more higher end side. Honda the more cheaper end side.

brick
08-03-2005, 05:48 AM
Honda by Acura is another I think. I think Acura is the more higher end side. Honda the more cheaper end side.

Honda is the parent, Acura is just the sub-brand. Same deal with Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infinity.

Not sure about interesting ownership arrangements. All I really know is that Ford owns things that I wish they didn't.

f_399
08-03-2005, 09:19 AM
ford owns jaguar that owns aston martin....

Arvetus
08-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Toyota owns Lexus

GM owns Saturn/Geo/Hummer

Daimler owns Mercedes/Chrysler

billgerr
08-03-2005, 10:09 AM
GM own SAAB
Ford own Volvo
Toyota/SCION

f_399
08-03-2005, 10:34 AM
GM own SAAB
Ford own Volvo
Toyota/SCION

if gm owns saab do they own subaru too?

billgerr
08-03-2005, 11:51 AM
GM bought SAAB in order to get a discount on their corporate jet fleet replacement. They did not buy SAAB aerospace, however.

SmaartAasSaabr
08-04-2005, 01:12 PM
General Motors:
100% ownership:
Chevrolet
Pontiac
Buick
GMC
Cadillac
Saturn
Saab
GM Daewoo
Holden
Opel
Vauxhall

GM has a 1/5 of the Subaru's parent company (Fuji Heavy Industries), a stake in Suzuki, Isuzu as well as it did own 20% of FIAT, although now... I dunno :?

Ford Motor Company
100%
Ford, Mercury, Lincoln
"Premier Auto Group" (Aston Martin, Volvo, Land Rover and Jaguar)

They own 33.6 percent of Mazda Motor Corporation, some other ventures...

DaimlerChrysler
100% of
Chrysler, Dodge, Mercedes-Benz, Freightliner, Sterling, etc

A fair chunk of Mitsubishi, a bit of Hyundai, and Smart as well, IIRC Smart was partly owned by the company that makes Swatches...

Renault owns Renault, Dacia and a big chunk of Nissan, some other things...

Volkswagen has
Volkswagen
Audi (which owns Lamborghini)
SEAT
Skoda
Bugatti
Bentley

erm... yeah if I keep going on I don't know when I will finish :lol:

SmaartAasSaabr
08-04-2005, 01:20 PM
On the SAAB thing, what happened was in the late 1980's, Saab Car Division wasn't looking so good in the eyes of the Wallenburg family which had a big stake, and at Investor AB either, since they had spent over $500 million US on a new state of the art plant in Malmo just as the sales of the 900 and 9000 began to go down. Sales were still great for Saab but not enough to really justify the plant. Saab Aerospace and Scania trucks were going fairly well. The plant, opened in 1989, was sold in 1993 for $50 million US...

They were interested in selling Saab Car Division to FIAT. Saab already knew FIAT quite well from the Group of Four project (Saab 9000, Fiat Croma, Lancia Thema and Alfa 164 (Alfa was separate from FIAT at the time). However, FIAT wanted to take the name, and build and develop the cars in Italy. Saab told them to go **** themselves. They were also talking with Ford, whom they had bought V4 engines from in the late 1960's and 1970's for the Saab 95/96 and Sonnet.

GM and Ford were in a fierce bidding war for Jaguar, Ford won eventually but overpaid far too much for what ended up being there...("This is worse than that Russian plant in Gorky", they said) and stopped anwering calls from Saab...GM wanted to make a "BMW" car, so they ended up looking at Saab. January 1st 1990, Saab Automobile AB was formed, 50% owned by Saab-Scania and 50% by GM. In the 1990's, Saab-Scania broke up into several separate companies (Scania Trucks, Saab Aerospace, Saab Technologies...), while Investor AB picked up their stake of the Automobile concern. In 2000, GM bought out the rest. 2001 they finally changed the logo on the cars which pointed back to a different time...

Suf Daddy
08-16-2005, 01:25 PM
VAG:

Volkswagen Audi Group.

Porsche fits in there somewhere, but they have be differentiating their brands from days of old. Notice ALL the new Audi Prosche dealers are now TWO separate buildings?
-Suf Daddy quattro guy

General Motors:
Volkswagen has
Volkswagen
Audi (which owns Lamborghini)
SEAT
Skoda
Bugatti
Bentley
erm... yeah if I keep going on I don't know when I will finish :lol:

SmaartAasSaabr
08-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Porsche has always been an independent company, however they have always been rather close with VAG, since of course the orignal VW was designed by Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche in the 30's. But they have been fairly close, witness the 356, "VW-Porsche 914" and the later 924/944/968 models plus of course the Toureg/Cayenne but Porsche is still not owned by VW at all.