PDA

View Full Version : Longer power cord

hyperslug
05-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Where can I fine one? I tried a regular phone cord and it did not work. It needs to be about 10 feet long. Thx

AirMoore
05-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Assuming you are talking about the connection from the RD to the cig. outlet plug, or the RD to the hardwire kit: A 'regular phone cord' (RJ-11 connection style) will work, if it is of high enough quality.

Go get a quality phone cord (Two RJ-11connections, with one on each end) for your set-up and if you have connected everything properly (no loose connections etc...) the phone cord will work. Many users (on here) including yours truly use this method.

tommygii
05-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Some phone cords only have two conductors in them. Look inside the connector and make sure you have wires running to each of the contacts. similar to what airmoore said about it being a quality cord.

hyperslug
05-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks! I thought a phone cord would work but it didn't and of course it was a cheapy from Wally World. Will look for a better one!

bauzer71487
05-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks! I thought a phone cord would work but it didn't and of course it was a cheapy from Wally World. Will look for a better one!

The cheap ones only run 2 wires. .

As they said above. Get a real cord this time :lol:

hockey005
05-17-2008, 02:06 PM
u can order a longer one from valentine1.com

speed-dreams
05-17-2008, 05:09 PM
you can buy a longer cord from Home Depot, the thing to look for is the coloring on the wires. Since there is one type that are inverted on the connecting ends...

PshoootR
05-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Guide to Phone Cords
http://www.pickyguide.com/electronics/phone_cords_guide.html#
V-1 uses a base station phone cord, not a handset cord. It should have 4, not 2, brass connectors on each end.

hyperslug
05-18-2008, 10:23 PM
u can order a longer one from valentine1.com

V1 only offers 8' or 3" on their website, I have both but need at least 10'.

I tried 2 more cords today and one claimed to be 6 conductor but neither worked. I need a little more information. No cord says "base station". Please give me RJ # or some such and I will google it. Probaly should just call V1. :cry:

Armanius
05-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Make sure that the wire color configurations in the phone cord actually matches the configuration of the V1 cord. You should be able to see that through the RJ11 connector, assuming it's a clear connector.

hyperslug
05-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks Armanius, I will bring a cord with me to double check.

I called V1 and they could not reccomend a brand or a source for the cable. Kind of dissapointing!

MEM-TEK
05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Radio Shack still sells decent quality 6 and 12 foot phone cords.

hyperslug
05-23-2008, 02:21 PM
I had avoided the Radio Shack cord becuase they did not offer the black in 12' but I had ran out of choices so bought a gray one. Here is the weird thing, when looking at the RS cords there were several different configurations on the way the colored wires were arranged, you could see the wires in the clear connector. I mean they vairied among the exact same cords with the same model number. I finally found one that was in the same order as the V1 cord and it worked. Yeah!

Armanius
05-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Awesome. Glad that it worked!

speed-dreams
05-23-2008, 05:15 PM
I had avoided the Radio Shack cord becuase they did not offer the black in 12' but I had ran out of choices so bought a gray one. Here is the weird thing, when looking at the RS cords there were several different configurations on the way the colored wires were arranged, you could see the wires in the clear connector. I mean they vairied among the exact same cords with the same model number. I finally found one that was in the same order as the V1 cord and it worked. Yeah!
where did u get it from?

AV8TOR
06-15-2008, 05:49 AM
I have tried a phone cord before and although it worked it did not work to my remote display. Maybe I had a poor quality phone cord. Has anyone successfully used a phone cord with the concealed display?