PDA

View Full Version : Got a ticket from a aircraft !!!!

Pb foot
08-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Coming home from Kansas City (Worlds of Fun) on 35 North in Missouri and was crusing along at 80 mph in a 70 zone when I looked up and saw a state patrolman pull in behind me then the dreaded lights went on pulled over and looked down the road and saw a couple more cars stopped all the while my Bel RX 65 sat there with the bright HIGHWAY lit up just as quit as could be When he walked up he said they had a aircraft up and they had got me at 80 and I was getting a summons (he probally wanted to laugh as my detector sat there all nice and peaceful) well my wife was mad and it cost me $80 bucks
BUT >>>>>>>>> my question is what is the best way to protect from a airplane no amount of veil/laser jammers /detectors/ or anything else will help against a plane

Do I need a old fashioned C.B radio and ask for help from the truckers or how bout a police scanner/radio or something to pick up airplane communications ?????
I gun shy about speeding now
HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLTX11
08-19-2005, 03:46 AM
First off, you need to keep this to one thread instead of making 2 of them. It belongs in this forum better than th radar detector forum. ( i need to be an admin)

To defeat VASCAR, air speed detection....you need a scanner. Listen in on their freq's and see if they are running it. You will hear multiple outgoing calls about speed, description of car, direction traveling, lane traveling in. etc...

goofy173
08-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Too bad they could be using 1 of hundreds of freqs. or worse yet, a trunk system. A CB would get better results than a scanner.

GTO_04
08-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Too bad they could be using 1 of hundreds of freqs. or worse yet, a trunk system. A CB would get better results than a scanner.

If you get the right scanner you can pick up trunked systems no problem. CB will work, if you're willing to put up with the truckers' chatter. With a scanner, you will usually get a 10 to 20 mile warning that they have a plane or copter up!

Most states don't use aircraft that much. Except of course, for Ohio!

GTO_04

N3T_K1LLA
08-19-2005, 05:09 PM
That sucks that you got a ticket for doing such little amount of speed. Think of it this way, your $80 ticket probably cost them triple that. I haven't experienced VASCAR at all so I don't know how far they have to be to get a reading off you, but if they have to be like right above you or near the freeway, if your car has a sunroof, thats always a good way to keep an extra eye out too, aside from the cb.

crazyVOLVOrob
08-19-2005, 08:12 PM
I have a scanner(Uniden bc246t) for VASCAR traps and i plan on getting a CB as well

GTO_04
08-19-2005, 08:40 PM
That sucks that you got a ticket for doing such little amount of speed. Think of it this way, your $80 ticket probably cost them triple that. I haven't experienced VASCAR at all so I don't know how far they have to be to get a reading off you, but if they have to be like right above you or near the freeway, if your car has a sunroof, thats always a good way to keep an extra eye out too, aside from the cb.

When they are running air enforcement, you cannot see the plane. They fly off to the side of the road. I have driven through air speed traps and have never been able to see the plane. I don't have a sunroof though.

I don't think they have to be near the freeway.

GTO_04

goofy173
08-21-2005, 06:55 PM
I've had scanners for years. You can go ahead and (IMHO) waste your money on one but I tried it for a couple of years on my 4 trips a year of 3000 miles. The scanner warned me of nothing. The CB warned me of many. (Next year the new recently approved trunk systems will make all current scanners useless anyway when the cops upgrade.)

It's more than likely that the CB will tell you about cops long before your detector will. Now this is assuming you are running an interstate or other large roads with lots of truckers. I use both to back up each other. I don't talk on it much but I will if I haven't heard anything recently.

Unless you are running with a convoy of trucks constantly, you won't hear much on it except the important stuff. It's not like the 70's where it was always busy and a lot of people ran linears (amplifiers). That's why they moved the trucker channel to 19 from 10. There was so much traffic on 10 that it was bleeding over to 9, the emergency channel.

I ran past a couple of truckers near Terre Haute last weekend and noticed one talking but I wasn't picking them up. I rotated the channel selector and found them on 24. They were speaking Arabic and both trucks were from Ontario. I bet they had a fun time getting through the border coming into the US from Canada.

GTO_04
08-21-2005, 08:10 PM
I've had scanners for years. You can go ahead and (IMHO) waste your money on one but I tried it for a couple of years on my 4 trips a year of 3000 miles. The scanner warned me of nothing. The CB warned me of many. (Next year the new recently approved trunk systems will make all current scanners useless anyway when the cops upgrade.)

That is [b]not true.[b] If you have a newer Uniden or Radio Shack scanner, they will either work by just entering the new frequencies and talk groups, or at the worst they will need to be reflashed. So the re-banding will hardly make them useless!

It's more than likely that the CB will tell you about cops long before your detector will. If they are running air enforcement or possibly instant on radar, yes. Otherwise no way.

Now this is assuming you are running an interstate or other large roads with lots of truckers. I use both to back up each other. I don't talk on it much but I will if I haven't heard anything recently.

If you are not on a busy interstate, CB will be absolutely useless.

GTO_04

goofy173
08-21-2005, 08:47 PM

That is [b]not true.[b] If you have a newer Uniden or Radio Shack scanner, they will either work by just entering the new frequencies and talk groups, or at the worst they will need to be reflashed. So the re-banding will hardly make them useless!

You're talking about a very few scanners and from what I'm hearing, these new freqs. will be illegal to receive, much like cell phone freqs. are now, so you won't get Uniden or RS to upgrade them.

It's more than likely that the CB will tell you about cops long before your detector will. If they are running air enforcement or possibly instant on radar, yes. Otherwise no way.

If there are vehicles being pulled over by police, it'll be on the CB. Why would it matter whether it's aircraft or not? Yesterday I was warned about a speedtrap over 100 miles north of my location, and sure enough, they were there with an officer using Ka on an overpass. They weren't using air or instant on.

Now this is assuming you are running an interstate or other large roads with lots of truckers. I use both to back up each other. I don't talk on it much but I will if I haven't heard anything recently.

GTO_04

Also not true. I run US 31 in Indiana twice a month and while traffic is very slim, I've had no problems getting info from them. You either don't use CB or don't know what to say to truckers to get the info. to say that CB is useless except on a busy interstate. I use one every weekend and I travel a minimum of 1000 miles.

GTO_04
08-21-2005, 09:34 PM

That is not true. If you have a newer Uniden or Radio Shack scanner, they will either work by just entering the new frequencies and talk groups, or at the worst they will need to be reflashed. So the re-banding will hardly make them useless!

You're talking about a very few scanners and from what I'm hearing, these new freqs. will be illegal to receive, much like cell phone freqs. are now, so you won't get Uniden or RS to upgrade them.

If there are vehicles being pulled over by police, it'll be on the CB. Why would it matter whether it's aircraft or not? Yesterday I was warned about a speedtrap over 100 miles north of my location, and sure enough, they were there with an officer using Ka on an overpass. They weren't using air or instant on.

GTO_04

Also not true. I run US 31 in Indiana twice a month and while traffic is very slim, I've had no problems getting info from them. You either don't use CB or don't know what to say to truckers to get the info. to say that CB is useless except on a busy interstate. I use one every weekend and I travel a minimum of 1000 miles.

Where are you getting the scanner information from? It is not a good source. The new frequencies will not be illegal to receive.

I drive on US 31 a lot more than you do. I live 5 miles away from it. And I have been using CB for almost 30 years. It is helpful on the interstate but not anywhere else.

I would have to say that on the two times per month you are getting lucky with speedtrap reports. I know others who use CB on 31 and they report the same thing that I have observed. I'm glad it works for you though.

Whatever works, use it!

GTO_04

Zpeedster
09-06-2005, 09:59 PM
sorrry what is CB?
and what is the difference between a scanner (ie uniden) and a CB

jimbonzzz
09-06-2005, 10:01 PM
CB = Citizen's Band
It is what the truckers use to communicate with each other.

A scanner might be able to receive CB frequencies, as well as police, fire, businesses etc but cannot transmit like a CB.

Jim

Zpeedster
09-07-2005, 05:05 PM
CB = Citizen's Band

A scanner might be able to receive CB frequencies, as well as police, fire, businesses etc but cannot transmit like a CB.

Jim

thnx JIM

CLTX11
09-07-2005, 09:23 PM
CB = Citizen's Band

Jim

Just and FYI...scanner is not a good source of scanning CB freq's..Unless...that is the only band you want to listen to. CB freq's are in the 25 where as the cops could either be in the 150, 400 or 800 Mhz trunked.

To be well protected I would suggest getting scanner for its purposes and a seperate CB for its purpose. Cb (25) to 800 Mhz, is huge diff in antennas etc, way diff bands. Just my 2 cents

anaxagoras
09-08-2005, 09:57 AM
another great way to be alreted to vascar is drive a convertible, i spotted a plane or two down in vriogina with my top dropped.

StlouisX50
12-09-2005, 10:16 AM
NO NO NO.......... The topic was should he get a Scanner or CB.

Both would be useful.

A. Scanner you could hear the Plane talking to the cars on the ground (Police - Police Communications)

B. CB - You could ask or listen to other C.B. Radio users tell you where the speed trap is. (IF they talk about it)

Being that A. would be in the air you will be able to pick up the planes communications for over 10 miles or so. However depending on the Crusers output not likely.

C.B. Radios can generaly be picked up 5 Miles or so depending on Radio Conditions, Power Output , Amplification ect.

Scanners are not for listining to CB Radios. Scanners will usualy beable to recieve the CB Band but not pick it up well, other draw back is you can't ask for a LEO Report. So if there are few cars on the road and no one is openly telling people about the trap your "Out of luck"

(You should always be able to hear scanner communications on VASCAR if... They are running on Police Radios (Unencrypted) .. Some may use NEXTEL Walkie Talkie Features now however... The laptop computer in the car would not be used in the Air to Ground enforcement so you can count that method out.

Suf Daddy
12-09-2005, 11:40 AM
NH, OH and either KS or MO in this guys case use aircraft.

Damn effective against radar detectors.........

"sky timers or VASCAR" is what they'll use unless they like the plain old stopwatch and table.

-Suf Daddy

StlouisX50
12-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Im confused were you saying that NH, OH , KS & MO don't use Aircraft or do?

I know for a fact Missouri, does thats why I'M asking for clarification.

Stlouisx50

StlouisX50
12-11-2005, 04:36 PM
The Missouri State Highway Patrol always uses their 42.000 - 43.000 MHZ range for Air to Ground Radar Operations. I have heard them using their car to car freq for this. 42.000 and 42.020 are the two main operational freq's state uses.