PDA

View Full Version : BEL X65 mounting an issue?

RensoreK
08-21-2005, 04:13 PM
I recently got a laser activator from Guys of Lidar so I tested my Bel X65 and mounted it low as possible without having the wipers block the activator signal (laser signal). Problem now is (Well I dont know if its caused by this) but I encountered 2 LEO's today, one was within 200feet, and the x65 reported Ka2, later further down the road, at a light it reported Ka3 - Ka6 as he was still waaaaay behind me at some lights. (Maybe 4 lights back). On my way back home under a bridge I received a Ka6 alert (Instant On?) with no previous warning. My question is:

Has my new mounting affected the ability to pick up radar quick enough? I know radar travels through most objects except some metallic tints etc. So mounting it low while still able to see the road shouldn't affect the radar ability. But it still picked up the usual route's falses in the exact same place, so I'm totally stumped. Here are pictures of my new mounting position, it seems like its right on the dash, but as you see in the second picture, its actually slightly above to give way for the wipers...

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/4748/84817679493330014mt.jpg

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/2712/84817642117330013fm.jpg

SpeedFreak
08-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Mounting it low like this will affect radar detection but its not supposed to reduce the range dramatically. Was the cop car blocked by something?

kpatz
08-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Sounds like the first LEO was behind you. Your low mounting position could affect rear detection as parts of your car could be blocking radar to the rear. Also, the detector relies on reflections to pick up rear radar, so it won't report as strong a signal to the rear as from the front.

The 2nd LEO was using instant on, so it's possible he didn't trigger the radar at all until you got the warning. Was there traffic in front of you at the time?

Mounting high allows for better radar reception. Mounting low helps with detecting a direct laser hit (of course, it's too late then if you get a warning). Maybe you should consider a jammer if laser is a problem where you are.

RensoreK
08-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Mounting it low like this will affect radar detection but its not supposed to reduce the range dramatically. Was the cop car blocked by something?

The LEO vehicle was actually located to my right, facing west as I faced north (diagram wise.)

His distance from me was approximately 3 vehicles ahead of me and to my right no other vehicles between me and him nor large objects.

The 2nd LEO was using instant on, so it's possible he didn't trigger the radar at all until you got the warning. Was there traffic in front of you at the time? There was traffic ahead of me but I consider myself being alone because there were a bit further up.

I didn't actually see the LEO but the area where I received it has been a place for speed traps within the past 2-3 weeks. It was just a sudden Ka6 alert.

Mounting low helps with detecting a direct laser hit (of course, it's too late then if you get a warning). Maybe you should consider a jammer if laser is a problem where you are.

Yes I know a direct hit is usually too late but I do have my vehicle stealth VEIL to reduce reflectivity and a lasershield cover that is veiled. I can't afford a jammer at the moment so this is why I prefer to detect a direct hit so I can slow down if VEIL helps. I will be trying to invest in a jammer soon hopefully

SpeedFreak
08-22-2005, 06:43 AM
If the LEO was facing west and you were facing north thats why you didnt had a lot of warning. If he is pointing in front, the radar reflections will have a hard time making it to you. For the sudden KA6, it was some cop using instant on for sure.

aust3333
08-25-2005, 12:42 AM
How much is that laser activator, and what kind of range does it have.

jimbonzzz
08-25-2005, 05:49 AM
How much is that laser activator, and what kind of range does it have.

Since you are a forum member, email for a deep discount that is much better than the published price! Proceeds from the sales of Laser Activators go towards funding testing by Guys of LIDAR!

Here's the webpage:
http://www.kc8unj.com/radar/guysoflidar/laseractivator.html

For range in the real world, expect 10-50 feet depending on the sensitivity of the detector. Actual range will vary depending on many factors, such as: detector sensitivity, ambient light, aim, etc.

Jim

RensoreK
08-26-2005, 07:25 PM
I've noticed on average with Ka Band, I receive the warning about 1 mile from the LEO, I can usually see his lights and the victim he pulled over. this is on a flat road with no other interference and another leo with his lights off at the top of a hill looking down. About 1 mile away as well. Would mounting it low really affect my radar performance so much? Or is it just me? I know radar travels through many objects, so mounting it 12 inches lower than usual shouldn't affect much. :?