PDA

View Full Version : Compilation of V1 settings and options

RacerX
02-15-2005, 12:57 PM
This is a compiled list of all the V1 settings and what they do. if i missed something, feel free to add to it.
Here is the link on how to program. https://store.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp
The V1 has 3 setting options:
All-Bogeys= all bogeys will be reported as soon as they are detected.
Logic= bogeys the computer judges to be non-threatening will be reported at the “muted” volume.
Advanced Logic= bogeys that the computer has reason to believe aren’t radar will not be reported at all.

this list will go by setting number/letter:

1-4. these enable/disable X,K,Ka,Laser.

5. In regards to Ka only, this setting will just make the strength meter show a few more dots quicker, but doesn't change any sensitivity.

6. This is the setting for Ka filtering and false alerts from "junk" detectors. Leaving it enabled will greatly reduce Ka falses without any real change in range. This is also the setting that the "J" (junk) setting uses to filter out falses from other detectors.

7. This is the setting that applies to k band filtering/muting. the manual doesn't tell you this. Enabling this will enable settings b,c,d,f,g. These will only apply in Logic and Advanced Logic mode. If this is disabled (factory default) then settings b,c,d,f,g will not apply, regardless of mode. Logic and Advanced Logic will still filter x band though.
According to V1 (per email) Logic Mode doesn't really filter, it just reports x and k at whatever volume level the "fader ring" is set at, instead of full volume. if it's a strong signal, it will report at full volume though. Advanced Logic will mute/not report these things at all, unless it is a strong signal. More on how k band filters/mutes below.

8. This setting is used for the mute button. The V1 doesn't have a way to set "automute " like the x50, so your choice is either push the button for full mute, or for a lower, muted volume depending on what the fader ring is set to.

A. When any additional "bogeys" are detected you will be alerted with a "Bogey lock tone (Dee-Deet)". this lets you change the volume of that alert after the mute button is pushed, to full or muted volume.

b,c,d. These are the settings to determine how long to "mute" k band warnings before alerting you to them. ( not including strong alerts). this is the main setting that has to do with falses. There are several posts that go into more detail, on V1's filtering if you need more info on it.
"
E,F. These relate to the "mute" time set from b,c,d. My personal opinion on these is "Be Carefull". if you change these, you may have little protection from k band. Anyone with more info, opinion on these ,jump in.

G. this is an interesting one. "Be Carefull" on this one also. Logic mode doesn't seem to to affect this as much as Advanced Logic mode. In Advanced Logic mode, this setting doesn't seem to alert to ANY rear warnings/signals.(k band, don't know if x is affected). Not just no volume, but no rear arrow or bogey alert.

H. this turns ku band on or off. with ku on. the audio is the same as k band, the visual is a red dot at the bottom right corner of the bogey counter.

J. this one is not listed on the V1 programming list. this is the setting to enable/disable "pop" protection. not to be confused with the "J"unk setting on option 6. The "up"arrow is enabled. "down" is disabled. change it the same as the other settings. with it enabled, "PoP", displays on start up. Disabled and it doesn't.

This should point someone in the right direction to all the settings. Anybody with more detail/experience with any of these jump in and share.

RacerX
04-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Okay, there have been a few updates to the link.
they now list the "J" (PoP) setting.

they also list an "I" option which turns the factory test on or off. i don't have this option on mine, but others have reported it enables a "PoP" mode. Maybe before Pop was officially released?

brick
04-04-2005, 12:47 PM
I spoke with VR about the "factory test" and I couldn't get a straight answer about what it is. All she would tell me is that I should leave it in the default position because it "damages performance on other bands." Why it says "PoP" on startup is a mystery. I have an email in to them but I have yet to receive a reply to any written correspondence so I'm not too hopeful. Maybe I'll call again at a different time of day and see if I get a different person.

RacerX
04-07-2005, 04:58 PM
brick,
thanks for trying to get some info on that. hopefully they'll give you a straight answer.

Apparently there is a new Version 3.821 that includes European options.
Here's the info courtesy of marlinspike.

http://davidson.smugmug.com/photos/19078450-O.jpg
http://davidson.smugmug.com/photos/19078451-O.jpg

brick
04-08-2005, 05:10 AM
I followed up with VR and posted the results here:

http://www.radardetector.net/My-V1-is-a-freak%21%21-835t.php

The long and short of it is that option I, the "factory test," is something that VR doesn't want you to use. They won't tell me where it came from or why it says "PoP" but according to them it's going to screw up detection if turned on (to the "down" position).

V1 Dave
04-08-2005, 05:47 AM
Tim, If you look at the reprogramming chart (I) was only used at 3.812 to 3.813 then discontinued. VR even found it useless.
Sounds like VR wants to forget (I) ever existed
Upgrade to loose the (I) and get the (J) & (U)
I am guessing there could be some additional tweaking (even in regular modes) with the new software. (LOL)

brick
04-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Tim, If you look at the reprogramming chart (I) was only used at 3.812 to 3.813 then discontinued. VR even found it useless.
Sounds like VR wants to forget (I) ever existed
Upgrade to loose the (I) and get the (J) & (U)
I am guessing there could be some additional tweaking (even in regular modes) with the new software. (LOL)

That's a good suggestion. I would like the added Ka sensitivity after seeing those videos. My other concern is the Laser Atlanta gun, which is rumored to be used by the MA staties. Assuming we can't already detect the stealth mode, I'll go for an upgrade as soon as they come out with a patch. (Maybe the Jammer Test webmaster will do a test when he gets his.)

RacerX
05-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Okay, we're up to version 3.824.
The "U" mode enables the European mode. Up is off, and down is on.

We had a pic of what the settings do in Euro mode, but the link doesn't seem to work anymore, so if someone has more info, please post.

RacerX
06-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Okay, here's a link for more info regarding "L" mode and option "7" the k band automute feature. Along with more info on settings "E", "F", "G".
http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?p=27248#27248

All the original information above regarding the other settings still applys. :)

Brent_Vino
06-14-2005, 08:04 PM
I have 3.813... I'm going to go outside right now and turn it on. Your saying that it says P....O....P upon startup? hmmmm something sounds verrrrrrrry strange on this one...

why would it say P O P if it didnt have POP detection? hmmmm sounds like a possible coverup by Mike V and company.

Brent_Vino
06-14-2005, 08:21 PM
ok just came back inside.... I turned option "I" on, rebooted and sure enough, P...O...P is now displayed upon startup.

Maybe VR had the jump on POP detection, and it was in its preliminary stages.. but someone f'd up and kept it in the fireware, when they werent supposed to, released it by mistake, and now they are claiming that its some factory test settings crap.... but it actually can detect POP.

If I called and asked them about it, they would deny it saying never use option "I" because it will screw up all detection... But in all reality, my 3.813 is as good as POP1 or 2. Therefore, I wouldnt NEED to send my V1 in for an upgrade, hence costing VR profit. So they come out and say never to engage option "I", so now if I want to update the V1, I have to PAY for it!

Conspiracy Theory #1.

Who's with me?

Arvetus
06-14-2005, 08:24 PM
ok just came back inside.... I turned option "I" on, rebooted and sure enough, P...O...P is now displayed upon startup.

Maybe VR had the jump on POP detection, and it was in its preliminary stages.. but someone f'd up and kept it in the fireware, when they werent supposed to, released it by mistake, and now they are claiming that its some factory test settings crap.... but it actually can detect POP.

If I called and asked them about it, they would deny it saying never use option "I" because it will screw up all detection... But in all reality, my 3.813 is as good as POP1 or 2. Therefore, I wouldnt NEED to send my V1 in for an upgrade, hence costing VR profit. So they come out and say never to engage option "I", so now if I want to update the V1, I have to PAY for it!

Conspiracy Theory #1.

Who's with me?

Hmmm, interesting. I wish we could test this and see! I have the same firware revision as you Brent.

Brent_Vino
06-14-2005, 08:44 PM
When I bought my V1, there wasnt any knowledge of POP to the public... this was BEFORE the SML Shootout, iirc, where the V1 was slammed because it lacked pop detection :roll: .. all the while it was able to detect it?

Sounds to me like VR had the jump on the POP crap, then scrapped it after further R&D... then brought it BACK because all of the other manufacturers were shoving POP detection down the consumers' throats.

3.812 was released LATE LATE in 03 and 3.813 was released in early 04. can we confirm the firmware release dates? Anyone have a 3.812 version and know what DAY they bought their V1 on? Both 3.812 and 3.813 have the "i" feature *(aka POP)

VR wont tell you if they made a mistake by releasing the beta POP, because how many people sent their V1 in and had to pay 55.00? If they admitted that the 3812 and 3813 detected POP, I would want my money back because I paid money for something I already HAD!

sethy
06-14-2005, 09:05 PM
then brought it BACK because all of the other manufacturers were shoving POP detection down the consumers' throats.

How was detection to POP being "shoved down the consumers throats" It was a threat, it had to be dealt with.

I admit it woud have been better for them to wait and not have it alert to POP all the time.

Brent_Vino
06-14-2005, 09:14 PM
then brought it BACK because all of the other manufacturers were shoving POP detection down the consumers' throats.

How was detection to POP being "shoved down the consumers throats" It was a threat, it had to be dealt with.

I admit it woud have been better for them to wait and not have it alert to POP all the time.

Are you kidding me? SML '04... POP this, POP that! They shoved the POP crap to every consumer and force fed it to them. Look how many posts are on this forum! "I was hit by POP!" "Was I hit with POP????"

the manufacturers scared people into believing that POP is as bad as the BIG BROTHER conspiracy... "1984" all over again. :lol:

POP is not a threat as of 6/14/05.

Would you buy a hydrogen car if there isnt any place to attain the energy? all filling stations are petro... so why buy a hydrogen fueled auto?

RacerX
06-15-2005, 02:13 AM
Brent_Vino,
That's what i was wondering back in my April post, if that was some kind of pre-release Pop version they didn't plan for the public to see. :?:
Anyway, if you get a chance maybe you could try it out on some kind of constant source and see what/how it reacts. i'm curiuos to see if it reacts sooner, maybe falses more, or if you lose performance like they told brick.
Thanks

brick
06-15-2005, 06:06 AM
I think that this "i" setting was a beta version of POP but I don't think that it actually works. I doubt that they would have gone through all the trouble of adding hardware and revised firmware if it actually worked the way it was supposed to.

My theory is that the original 1.8 hardware can't process the signals fast enough when it sweeps at the rate that is needed to detect POP. This causes it to start missing signals because it's working so fast that it doesn't have enough time to analyze what's coming in. Long-range detection would be cut down because it would take a stronger signal to trip an alert. So it might detect POP, but it wouldn't detect anything that isn't pretty close. This, I think, is why they told me not to enable it because it would "damage" detection performance. This is also why they had to modify the hardware and start charging people for it.

Personally, I have the opposite reaction of Brent. I think it shows that they did make an attempt to address POP with a firmware update that would have cost nothing. Then they resorted to hardware when they realized that firmware alone wasn't good enough. I don't think that they had any sort of dishonest scheme for the purpose of making more money.

Brent_Vino
06-15-2005, 11:03 AM
the next time I encounter K or Ka threats, I'll pull over, turn on the "I" feature and report what happens.

brick
06-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Sounds like a plan. If you can find a K or Ka band drone, that would be great. I ought to do the same with POP on and off to see what happens, if anything.

Brent_Vino
06-15-2005, 10:11 PM
took a ride around after washing the car today... drove pass a bank that usually triggers a false K alert... normal mode first, then with "i" turned on... no difference in signal strength, bogey counter on either setting.

Hopefully I see a few cops tomorrow night driving to and from class.

RacerX
06-30-2005, 01:57 PM
Okay, we're up to Revision 3.825
According to VR the problem with option "7" not working on revision 3.824 has been fixed.
Also, they say that the Junk alert "J"ing out real ka threats has also been fixed.

Here is some additional info on what options E and F do when used in "L" mode with option 7 changed from default.

Options "E" and "F":

Option "E" controls the behaviour of muting upon FIRST ENCOUNTER of a K band signal.

With "E" set to factory default(UP ARROW), the initial encounter of a K band signal will be muted if less than 4 lights and unmuted if 4 or greater lights.

With "E" set to DOWN ARROW, the "unmute at 4 lights upon initial encounter of a K band signal" will be disabled and the signal must now be larger than 6 lights to break mute.

Option "F" controls the behaviour of muting after the FIRST ENCOUNTER of a K band signal.

With "F" set to factory default(UP ARROW), a K band signal that was less than 4 lights at first encounter and rises to 6 lights or greater within the time period defined by "b","C" and "d" options, will unmute.
With "F" set to DOWN ARROW, a K band signal whose initial encounter was below 4 lights will not unmute, no matter how many lights, until the time period defined by "b","C" and "d" has elapsed. With both "E" and "F" set to DOWN ARROW, a K band signal will stay muted, no matter how many lights, until the time period defined by "b", "C" and "d" has elapsed.

RacerX
07-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Allright, i just got back from my trip and here's the answer to some questions from VR regarding the "J"unk feature and k band "filtering"

It seems i was partly right, but also partly wrong.

Here's a cut & paste from the email.

1. The manual makes no mention that k band is affected by l and L modes, only x band. However changing option 7 does cause k band to be affected in these modes, correct?

K band's MUTING is affected, but we are talking about SENSITIVITY here. In the modes, only Advanced Logic affects range, and on X only.

“Page 16
Computer Modes: A new way to interpret alarms

In the All-Bogeys® ( ) mode, all bogeys will be reported

as soon as they are detected. Use your judgment to decide

whether or not they are threats.

In the Logic® ( ) and Advanced-Logic® ( ) modes, you are

deferring to the internal computer which will use its own

logic to screen bogeys before reporting them to you.

In Logic, X-band bogeys the computer judges to be

non-threatening will be reported at the “muted” volume. If

they become threatening, the audio warning will upgrade

to the “initial” volume before you are within radar range.

In Advanced-Logic, X-band bogeys that the computer has

reason to believe aren’t radar will not be reported at all.

One exception: To be failsafe, the computer will always

pass extremely strong signals along for your judgment.

This mode is particularly useful in metro areas.”

2. Does option 6 turn the Junk alert on and off, or is the junk alert “built in?
Is the ka guard the junk alert setting, or is it just for false ka alerts?

The junk alert is built in. The Ka guard is for false Ka alerts and is not connected to the "J" feature.

3. Does the junk alert affect k and ka or just ka band?

The reason I ask is that the manual references the junk feature in 3 places, but it doesn’t discuss how to turn it on and off, or if it is built in, regardless of the ka guard or having Pop on or off.

The "J" is for false alerts on Ka only. It is built-in.

Page 6
Identifying Alarms From Junk Detectors

Here are a few clues for spotting offending detectors.

You may get a brief K warning just as you meet an

oncoming car. Or a lingering K, nearly constant strength,

as you move with traffic. Big hint: a direction change on

the Radar Locator as you pass another car. Look for a

detector in the windshield. But stay alert until you know

for sure. See page 16 for what “Dee-Dah-Do” tone means.

Page 16

What the “Dee-Dah-Doo” Tone means

Valentine One is designed to recognize — and ignore —

phony radar signals from poorly-designed detectors.

Occasionally a false alarm will be started before verification

is certain. If it then determines the source is a junk detector,

it will notify you it is retracting that alert with a “Dee-Dah-

Doo” sound. A flashing J ( ) indicating “junk” will appear

in the Bogey Counter.

Page 26
What the “Dee-Dah-Doo” Tone means

Valentine One is designed to recognize — and ignore —

phony POP signals transmitted by poorly-designed

detectors. Occasionally a false alarm will be started before

verification is certain. If it then determines the source is a

junk detector, it will notify you it is retracting that alert with

a “Dee-Dah-Doo” sound. A flashing J ( ) indicating “junk”

will flash briefly in the Bogey Counter.

4. Does this last one mean a detector that has Pop protection enabled?

The "J" function will work whether POP is enabled or not.

5. Does it just mean that overall, if the V1 identifies the source as any type pollution from another radar detector, it will just junk it out?

That is true. That's the function of the "J" feature.

Hopefully this clears up the info on these two things. :)

RacerX
08-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Well somehow this got dropped as a sticky.
So i'll update it manually.
We are still at revision 825, but we have received 2 reports so far of the V1 still "J"ing out a real alert.
So for now it appears the Junk problem has not been fixed.