PDA

View Full Version : Trapster

Ovencleaner
08-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey, if you use trapster what platform do you use it on?

I am thinking about using the CarPC version on my laptop with a Garmin GPS 18 Serial GPS adapter (I don't care about live alerts, only known speed trap locations)

hockey005
08-14-2008, 05:20 PM
i just downloaded the whole northeast POI's to my garmin from there

Ovencleaner
08-15-2008, 08:09 AM
i just downloaded the whole northeast POI's to my garmin from there

Lol that sounds like a good idea..

I need a GPS anyway... going to get a Garmin Nuvi 200. Its pretty cheap on ebay ($140)

hockey005
08-15-2008, 08:22 AM
then just go to trapster and follow the directions...download the pio loader from the garmin website and load it on and ur good to go....

Ovencleaner
08-15-2008, 12:04 PM
then just go to trapster and follow the directions...download the pio loader from the garmin website and load it on and ur good to go....

Have you found it to be useful in your area?

hockey005
08-16-2008, 12:16 AM
i downloaded it 2 days ago actually so i dont know exactly..i pretty much know all the speed trap locations in my area and all my big trips for the summer are over so i wished i discovered it earlier but i have over 4500 locations for the northeast :)

TRDdave
08-17-2008, 11:26 AM
can anyone tell me the effectiveness of trapster? What have been your experiences? Im about to do a 400mile roadtrip and I want to be as well informed as I can, but I dont want to have to deal with a bunch of bs reports

hockey005
08-17-2008, 07:07 PM
i just tested it out today and it alerts and shows where the leos will hide...but i mean on local roads its useless cuz u know all the spots where leos sit..but in unkown areas esp at night it will be very usefull

BRDHNTR
08-19-2008, 09:27 AM
The garmin does a great job with the trapster locations. It warns you well in advance, but not miles in advance. Plenty of time to slow down, but it doesn't slow you down.

crazyVOLVOrob
08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
i just tested it out today and it alerts and shows where the leos will hide...but i mean on local roads its useless cuz u know all the spots where leos sit..but in unkown areas esp at night it will be very usefull
Possible to give a video demo of it working? I am in the market for a new GPS myself and it will need to run trapster

upstatedoc
08-19-2008, 11:47 AM
The garmin does a great job with the trapster locations. It warns you well in advance, but not miles in advance. Plenty of time to slow down, but it doesn't slow you down.

^^ I have a nuvi 660, how do I go about getting this "trapster"?

TSi+WRX
08-19-2008, 02:28 PM
OK.....so I'm one of those guys who lags behind everyone, on the fun stuff....I've still yet to get a GPS, and likely won't do so until some time next spring.

But, in the meanwhile, I've signed-up for Trapster, and have begun entering traps into their database. :)

How long before the traps that you enter, get logged and "appear?"

Lucky225
08-19-2008, 02:32 PM
OK.....so I'm one of those guys who lags behind everyone, on the fun stuff....I've still yet to get a GPS, and likely won't do so until some time next spring.

But, in the meanwhile, I've signed-up for Trapster, and have begun entering traps into their database. :)

How long before the traps that you enter, get logged and "appear?"

Instantaneous

TSi+WRX
08-19-2008, 03:15 PM
^ I musta done something wrong....

My inputs from earlier this afternoon didn't appear, and hasn't appeared, yet.... :confused:

Lucky225
08-19-2008, 03:55 PM
^ I musta done something wrong....

My inputs from earlier this afternoon didn't appear, and hasn't appeared, yet.... :confused:

weird as long as you're logged in you just doubleclick on the map and submit the trap, and it should be there as soon as you submit.

hockey005
08-19-2008, 10:58 PM
yea u need to download the POI loader from garmin and then make trapster map and choose your locations then download it right from trapster

TSi+WRX
08-20-2008, 06:38 AM
weird as long as you're logged in you just doubleclick on the map and submit the trap, and it should be there as soon as you submit.

Thanks, bro. :)

Looks like there's a *slight* delay, and I need to wait for it to register, before moving on to the next one, or else it won't "take."

I've completed most of what I have, already, for the Cleveland near-east suburbs (Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, Highland Hills, Orange, near-east Solon), and confirmed what another member cited in Orange and Woodmere Village.

:)

IXLR8
08-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Anyone in the market for a GPS to use Trapster on... DON'T buy Navigon!

I bought mine several weeks ago, primarily because it has a built in traffic Rx'er (which works fine). But the with format they use, there is no way I can find to import Trapster into it!:(

Ovencleaner
08-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Trapster for Dash GPS sucks. You have to initiate a search for speedtraps near you... It will not alert you automatically.

Stay away from this GPS if you are going to use Trapster!

upstatedoc
08-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Trapster for Dash GPS sucks. You have to initiate a search for speedtraps near you... It will not alert you automatically.

Stay away from this GPS if you are going to use Trapster!

^^ Is "Dash" a brand of portable nav?

crazyVOLVOrob
09-06-2008, 11:55 PM
^^ I have a nuvi 660, how do I go about getting this "trapster"?
Here is a video on how to use trapster with your GPS Navigation Device
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyX6E4AJ754 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyX6E4AJ754)

Ovencleaner
09-07-2008, 08:11 AM
^^ Is "Dash" a brand of portable nav?

Yeah its an internet connected GPS

AirMoore
09-07-2008, 08:38 AM

Actually: You can change this: So it will alert you only if you are going above a specific speed on your GPS... when you load the data from the POI to ur Garmin... use the 'manual' setting in the box on the right.

You can change it to either a speed setting, where it only warns you going above a certain speed. OR A distance setting where it will tell you 'XXXX' feet in advance, no matter what your speed where the trap is.

I have a 2500ft advance warning (just shy of 1/2mile) so when i use it on the thruway I have enough time to gradually slow down, and move to the right lane.

So far (I just got this for my Nuvi 200W so good). The only glitch I encountered was the POILoader software didn't work correctly on my computer the first time, it would not let my Nuvi200W alert via proximity alerts no matter what the settings (I tried tons). After reinstalling the program though... everything worked as it should, no matter what the setting.

Thanks a ton to Rob(CVR), I PM'd him numerous times looking for suggestions with this issue.

This is an amazing service, I will add more traps in my area today!

hockey005
09-09-2008, 07:44 AM
i have it on mine and its kinda annoying on local roads cuz u no where the leos are but on areas where u are unfamiliar its great with a jammer and RD

crazyVOLVOrob
09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
i have it on mine and its kinda annoying on local roads cuz u no where the leos are but on areas where u are unfamiliar its great with a jammer and RD
I only use my GPS on road trips generally on short local drives i know where i am going

Another thing to prevent that is only programing in medium threshold traps also increasing the laert speed is another suggestion

hockey005
09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
good call

TRDdave
09-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Let me first say that information on trapster is only as good as what people put in. On my trip back down to school, it did alert me to one legitimate speed trap, but there were a lot of false alerts, to where people had marked speedtraps and there was NOTHING. I mean, really I would have to give it another shot, because I drove through TS Fay on my way down to Orlando, and there was NO ONE on the road. If I drive down to West Palm or Miami soon I'll give it another try and document my findings.

TSi+WRX
09-10-2008, 11:50 AM
^ But remember that marking where potential speedtraps are is a part of the system.

They're just that - POTENTIAL - troublespots.

Does that mean that there will always be an enforcer/trap there? Certainly, no.
It just means that that's a point-of-interest, a point of POSSIBLE enforcement action which, if you're alerted to ahead of time, you may be able to make a visual identification of either the enforcer or altered traffic patterns that you effect a "save," even without other countermeasures.

The "LIVE" report function serves the purpose of alerting to an ACTIVE ("RIGHT NOW") trap, but is distinctly different from the former.

There can easily exist, however, the very real-life scenario that an enforcement action is taking place at a reported POTENTIAL troublespot, but as no-one using Trapster has passed said trap at the time that the enforcer was stationed, that the trap was not activated as a "LIVE" concern.

This is why the POTENTIAL troublespot feature still remains important. :)

AirMoore
09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
^ But remember that marking where potential speedtraps are is a part of the system.

They're just that - POTENTIAL - troublespots.

Does that mean that there will always be an enforcer/trap there? Certainly, no.
It just means that that's a point-of-interest, a point of POSSIBLE enforcement action which, if you're alerted to ahead of time, you may be able to make a visual identification of either the enforcer or altered traffic patterns that you effect a "save," even without other countermeasures.

The "LIVE" report function serves the purpose of alerting to an ACTIVE ("RIGHT NOW") trap, but is distinctly different from the former.

There can easily exist, however, the very real-life scenario that an enforcement action is taking place at a reported POTENTIAL troublespot, but as no-one using Trapster has passed said trap at the time that the enforcer was stationed, that the trap was not activated as a "LIVE" concern.

This is why the POTENTIAL troublespot feature still remains important. :)

Very well said: Its also good to note: That when you import data (to a GPS or the like) you can actually select traps that have a certain 'confidence level', in other words, this will cut down significantly on 'false alerts', because you are ID'ing spots that normally have a higher level of activity and confidence, rather then one person putting a random trap where they saw an LEO one time.

So the more often you travel a route, the more customized you can make that route to your preferences.

***I have only used it for a short while, so far I like how Trapster has set-up the system for their data inputs/exports! Right now I don't want them to change one thing about that.***

Also think about how many (False Alert) -to- (Real) speedtrap indications with RD's we get (Save: certain Belscort owners :D)...

edweird
10-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Trapster for iPhone is now available in the app store. It's a 1.0 release, but despite several folks reporting crashes on their phones, it installed just fine on mine.

TSi+WRX
10-21-2008, 07:28 AM
OMG, I'm sooooooo excited!

I just got my first text-message from Trapster, warning of a live trap at Country Lane and Emery Rd. intersections, by pattersonlewis ! :eek:

I have to find out who this other person is!!!!! :D:)

o2bad455
11-04-2008, 03:53 PM
I've been playing with this for the past day or so. Got it to work fine on my Magellan Maestro 3200 series GPS, although apparently harder than for a Garmin. For the Magellan, I had to edit in Excel to reduce points per category to 10000, to give each point a unique first 34 chars of name, and to combine the speed and light lists into one POI file, since the Magellan only allows one user POI file to be active at a time. Then had to convert the POI file to MGLN format. I have also tested the live text messages separately to email and to a cel phone.

I'd like to do two things:
1) Get live reports on the same map; and
2) Make reporting new traps much easier.

Does the CarPC/carputer version show the Live Police reports on the same map? Does the carputer version have an easier way to report new traps?

Has anyone succesfully tethered a Magellan Maestro GPS to any computer via USB? I tried this on my laptop with Trapster, but can't find a Magellan-compatible USB driver to emulate a COM port and receive the NMEA data.

Bats21
11-26-2008, 06:52 PM
I have a nuvi 760 can I use napster with this unit and whre do
I get it?

thestaton
12-16-2008, 12:50 PM
oh brother. just got trapster working on my 3G iPhone and every tom, jerry, and clyde must think that if a red light has a CCTV camera chilling on the top it must be a red light camera. much work to be done.

TSi+WRX
12-16-2008, 01:01 PM
^ Yep, that's the problem with Trapster.

This is why for things like RLCs/speed-cameras such, I trust, solely, my Cheetah/Trinity product.

Trapster, for as much as I like it, it still needs to be said (and is undeniable) that it is a "lowest-common-denominator" type of instrument. :(

I've reported a bunch of "likely speedtraps" in the database, but some yahoo actually went on and said that one that I reported was "wrong." :rolleyes: ( Boy, would I love to see him get ticketed, at that spot! :lol: Particularly as I use that section of the streets *every* day, I know, precisely, how often our local enforcers like to camp-out there. ) I also noticed the same kind of "wrong" vote, from others, of yet other users' reported spots that I know are correct, again from near daily-travel, first-hand, on such roadways.

I think that as Trapster gets more known and better publicized, it's going to require some kind of moderation, particularly in threat reporting.

I can actually see it doing more harm than good, what with these "lowest common denominators" casting votes, when they obviously don't know what the heck it is that they're talking about, or simply lack sufficient experience in X or Y local area/roadway to know better.....

crazyVOLVOrob
12-16-2008, 01:16 PM
oh brother. just got trapster working on my 3G iPhone and every tom, jerry, and clyde must think that if a red light has a CCTV camera chilling on the top it must be a red light camera. much work to be done.
Reason why I bought myself a cheetah....If you look at the trapster trapmap some times you wonder a person would think there was a red light camera at the end of a dead end road

If you only search for the medium threshold traps and highest threshold cameras you get much more valid alerts.

Friday night if the internet is working in my parents house I'll have another video of trapster along with the the Cheetah C100

nategr8ns
12-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Has anybody used this with a Tomtom? Specifically the TT One. I loaded it on my dad's (had to make custom icon's for the two POI categories because there weren't any :p) but we haven't really tested it yet. The only trap in my town is one that I just reported yesterday :(.

Does it actually tell you when you're coming up to one or do you just have to watch the display for them?

Stealth Stalker
12-16-2008, 05:42 PM
That's been my fear with Trapster all along, and why I'm not likely to sign up.

I love the Trinity database, but with GPS and computer map navigation already in my car, I don't want to buy a whole new device (like the Cheetah's) just to get it. Isn't there anyway to integrate the Trinity database with an existing GPS device without buying a Cheetah?

mikered30
12-16-2008, 06:27 PM

I also think that they think that the MIRT mounted on the redlights are RLCs.

chris3g
12-16-2008, 07:18 PM
the iphone app is really nice but the data is worthless. according to trapster there are about 20 red light and speed cameras within about a mile of my house ... in reality there are 0 speed cameras in the entire state, and red light cameras only in a few select areas, none of them near me. :lol:

Obsidian
12-16-2008, 07:30 PM
the iphone app is really nice but the data is worthless. according to trapster there are about 20 red light and speed cameras within about a mile of my house ... in reality there are 0 speed cameras in the entire state, and red light cameras only in a few select areas, none of them near me. :lol:

+1. Same problem with the Photoenforced.com database ... it says there are something like 47 speed cameras in California.

This is why something like the Trinity Database, which is meticulously well maintained as far as I can tell, is better than any user created DB.

Stealth Stalker
12-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Geeze... sounds like Trapster does more to slow you down than to facilitate you speeding up.

mikered30
12-16-2008, 09:15 PM
I posted all of my known speed traps, and someone says they are not real traps, probably some jerkoff or cop.

Stealth Stalker
12-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Problem is, I think a great many of those "known speed traps" that people post aren't really known speed traps. They're just places where some idiot saw a police car one time and therefore marked it as a "speed trap". That's exactly what is screwing Trapster up.

Too bad, as the idea really had potential. But overall, I sense fail.

Zapple
12-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Trinity needs a place where you can pay a certain amount of money for all the info for your state. Once it gets updated (like they say "1 red light camera update, 2 speed trap updates. Do you wish to upgrade?") then it should ask you to pay a smaller free to get your state again. Then you can review any place you will be driving and become familiar with your area if you do not have a device such as a Cheetah C100/Mirror or 9500ix. Of course, this way should be a little cheaper.

crazyVOLVOrob
12-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Geeze... sounds like Trapster does more to slow you down than to facilitate you speeding up.Not really I have had a total of 4 speed trap saves from trapster.....Just don't use the speed or red light camera alerts. When I download the stuff for my GPS I only used the highest threshold red lights cameras and those are valid from what I know in Providence RI. Also I add all possible speed traps but you can use a higher threshold. It is helpful.

I am still pissed the time I thought I was recording with my Video camera as trapster was alerting to an actual trap along with the V1.

I don't treat a trapster alert like a V1 alert. I get down to with is 10-15 above the limit and keep my eyes peeled for the possible trap and foot ready to jump on the brakes

crazyVOLVOrob
12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Trinity needs a place where you can pay a certain amount of money for all the info for your state. Once it gets updated (like they say "1 red light camera update, 2 speed trap updates. Do you wish to upgrade?") then it should ask you to pay a smaller free to get your state again. Then you can review any place you will be driving and become familiar with your area if you do not have a device such as a Cheetah C100/Mirror or 9500ix. Of course, this way should be a little cheaper.
Go to this thread: http://www.radardetector.net/forums/photo-enforcement/40869-states-use-photo-enforcement-what-forms.html

There is alot of information you will find helpful in there. I will be editting it in the near future but currently Al from Cheetah has supplied a great amount of information of where speed and red light cameras are or possibly could be in the coming future.

TSi+WRX
12-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Problem is, I think a great many of those "known speed traps" that people post aren't really known speed traps. They're just places where some idiot saw a police car one time and therefore marked it as a "speed trap". That's exactly what is screwing Trapster up.

Too bad, as the idea really had potential. But overall, I sense fail.

Exactly the counterpoint to what I cited, in post 35 --->
http://www.radardetector.net/forums/481024-post35.html

And yes, your post/opinion/thinking, Stealth Stalker is just as valid, I think, as mine - just at the opposite end of the spectrum.

That's precisely the problem - some idiot may see a police car sitting on the side of the street that they just happen to go by, one day, report it as a trap...where, in-truth, everyone who lives in that area knows that it's just an officer who LIVES at that location, and doesn't run a trap there. On the other hand, the same pitfall exists whereby an everday commuter knows of a trap spot, but another Trapster participant travels through the area only infrequently, and never sees the trap - and markes it "wrong."

It's a problem, both ways. :(

Honestly, what Trapster has the most potential for is the live reporting feature.

TSi+WRX
12-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Has anybody used this with a Tomtom? Specifically the TT One. I loaded it on my dad's (had to make custom icon's for the two POI categories because there weren't any :p) but we haven't really tested it yet. The only trap in my town is one that I just reported yesterday :(.

Does it actually tell you when you're coming up to one or do you just have to watch the display for them?

I was gifted a TomTom One, 3rd Ed., from a vendor who supplies the lab.

The One, 3rd Ed., does not have sufficient memory to house the Trapster's "entire-USA" POI file. Your local area file, as you defined it via the configured alert areas, should fit just fine, unless you've delineated an unreasonably large area.

In order for the One, 3rd Ed., to alert to the upcoming POIs, I had to de-select the option that would only alert if the POI is actually on the route. I found that the TomTom wasn't accurately determining whether or not the trap was truly on the route. Instead, set it up so that it warns when you're approaching that general area (radius).

crazyVOLVOrob
12-18-2008, 02:09 PM
I found that the TomTom wasn't accurately determining whether or not the trap was truly on the route. Instead, set it up so that it warns when you're approaching that general area (radius).Don't have that problem with my Garmin:D

Stealth Stalker
12-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Don't have that problem with my Garmin:D
Do you have a way to integrate a RLC database into your Garmin? That's what I'm looking for here. There MUST be a software application that can be integrated with an existing GPS navigation system!

nategr8ns
12-19-2008, 05:33 AM
In order for the One, 3rd Ed., to alert to the upcoming POIs, I had to de-select the option that would only alert if the POI is actually on the route. I found that the TomTom wasn't accurately determining whether or not the trap was truly on the route. Instead, set it up so that it warns when you're approaching that general area (radius).

How do I do this? I haven't been able to get it to report. I don't know if I set it up right.

TSi+WRX
12-19-2008, 09:31 AM
My buddy borrowed my TomTom for a road-trip. He isn't due back until after the new year. :o

I unfortunately do not remember enough of the steps necessary to guide you, with certainty, however, start by going to the "settings" menu, and then find the POIs sub-menu.

The navigation for the controls are pretty instinctive, if you can get it to the POIs screen, you should be able to mess around with it enough to get to the menu that allows you to adjust how it alerts. :o

Sorry! :o

crazyVOLVOrob
12-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Do you have a way to integrate a RLC database into your Garmin? That's what I'm looking for here. There MUST be a software application that can be integrated with an existing GPS navigation system!
I just use the Garmin POI loader and I load the POIs in custom mode and lable traps as proximity alerts

mikered30
12-22-2008, 08:26 PM
it looks like they updated the interface when you click on a trap. But people are being stupid, they are putting speed traps in rivers and RLCs in the woods. That site is going to ****.

TSi+WRX
12-23-2008, 07:29 AM
^ Maybe the novice users are failing to zoom properly?

I try to zoom in as much as possible, using the sat/map overlay, and to place the traps that I observe *exactly* where they would be.

This, unfortunately, creates the problem that, at least for my TomTom One, 3rd. Ed., that when I choose the "alert only if POI is on-route" proximity alert, the alert is not consistent, as the GPS interprets the location of the enforcer to be on the side-road, where the enforcer is actually physically sitting, instead of out towards the main street(s) that he/she is conducting enforcement.

Also, I've noticed that, in prior iterations, it was possible for one to accidentally move one's set traps, without the program notifying that the trap had been "dragged" to another location.....

b52hbuff
12-26-2008, 10:42 AM
+1. Same problem with the Photoenforced.com database ... it says there are something like 47 speed cameras in California.

This is why something like the Trinity Database, which is meticulously well maintained as far as I can tell, is better than any user created DB.

I think part of the problem is that not everyone who reports the data can tell the difference between a camera used for photo enforcement and a camera used to trigger a street light. I didn't know the difference until I spoke with a traffic engineer.

I saw some truck from the city messing with a cabinet near a streetlight. I struck up a conversation and learned a lot. In my area (around San Jose California), they use cameras to detect when cars are waiting at a light. Then they trigger the light. According to the engineer, the cameras are cheaper than induction loops. The loops are more accurate at detecting cars, but you need to replace them more frequently.

Back at your point, I was excited to compare data from photoenforced with the trinity/9500ix data. And what I saw was that in Palo Alto and Sunnyvale, the submitter was confusing a traffic sensor camera with a photo enforcement camera.

In our area, these traffic sensor cameras are mounted on the street lamps, pointed down towards the intersection. And they are small 'barrel' housings. There is no secondary housing for a flash.

12-28-2008, 11:55 AM
What is Trapster?, Will it work on TomTom one XL?

nategr8ns
12-28-2008, 12:19 PM
It should Top. Trapster (http://www.trapster.com/) is a community-driven database of police speedtraps and cameras. I have it on my dad's Tomtom One (not sure if it's XL or not).

TSi+WRX
12-28-2008, 12:20 PM
The Trapster site describes what it is. :)

It's essentially twofold:

(1) A POI program that notes where common/potential traps are.
(2) A live-reporting system, utilizing cell-phones, to warn of active/"live" traps.

It should work plenty well on your TomTom. Follow the directions on Trapster.

My One 3rd. Ed. is able to host quite a bit of POIs, sufficient for an extended road-trip. However, it is unable to host the entire USA Trapster POI database, due to memory constraints.

12-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks Guys for the reply and the Info. Do I have to pay for this service and how do I download it into my TomTom?

TSi+WRX
12-28-2008, 01:42 PM
For the moment, Trapster is still free. :)

Go to:

Trapster - Speed Trap Sharing System (http://www.trapster.com/) and register.

Then, simply follow their directions:

Trapster - Conact Us (http://www.trapster.com/account.php#4) - general info.
Trapster - Conact Us (http://www.trapster.com/config-alert-sms.php) - configure your map
Trapster - Conact Us (http://www.trapster.com/garmin-tomtom-instructions.php) - main instructions

They really make this step-by-step. If I can do it, so can anyone. ;)

mikered30
12-29-2008, 08:07 PM
I guess the mods over there cleaned up the site. All of the traps reported as no (grayed out), were removed. It is much less cluttered, at least on my map.

TSi+WRX
12-30-2008, 08:49 AM
^ ROFL! :lol:

That's gonna be good, when the guy who voted my one reported trap "no," gets pulled-over precisely at that spot! :D

See, that's the trouble with that particular feature.

I travel that route each and every day. I know that spot actually is a frequented location.

But if someone else travels through that location less often, and doesn't come across the trap, who's to say that he/she won't mark that location "no," and get it voted off?

I still think that the best feature of Trapster - it's most promising aspect - is the "Live Reporting."

Maestro
01-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Here is my review of Trapster. I have loaded it on my Motorola Q (with a gps Chip), the wife's Original iPhone (no gps chip) and my TomTom

Using it on the Q

I had lots of issues getting it working on the Q, and the people over at Trapster had not clue. It would not allow me to log in and it keep hanging the Q then one day it just allow me to log in. The best answer was oh we had the problem before I guess we did not fix it.

The part I liked, it will announce the possibility of an up coming speed trap and it does it through the bluetooth ear piece, which is function of the Q.

The problem with this you have no idea where the trap is, you have to pick up the phone and click and scroll through menus to get that information. It does not use a map or work with google map loaded on the phone already.

Now, here is the screwy part, as you are driving down the road it is telling where traps are within certain radius of you, somewhere around 0.04 to 0.12 miles from your present location. Now if you are near other roads it will tell you about those as well. It does not seem to know what road you are on. So it was telling me all the speed traps around me which were on other roads nowhere close to the road I was on.

Now the biggest downside I saw with this was the fact it said the speed trap was so much distance from a intersection. Many times it would give me a cross street that was in front of me and the trap was between me and the cross street and I just pass another cross street which was closer to the trap. So it does not know what direction you're heading on a road. It would be better to say it so many mile to the north or south of you verse using cross street which you have not come to or might not know where it is.

Lastly, the program keep announcing the location of the trap and would not stop until you acknowledged it. This became very frustrating very fast.

Using on the Iphone

This was lot easier to get working, downloaded the app from itunes, sync the phone and tapped on the app and off and running. Shows a nice map with the location of the traps and some details about the who reported it. Problem is the iphone does not have a gps chip so it did not know exactly where you were only relative.

As we all know some speed trap on direction specific especially on highways, it would tell of a locations coming up with police sometime hide, but it was for the other side of the highway. So it required you to look at the phone to determine whether it should be something to worry about.

Using it on the TomTom

Okay little better, gives you red boxes on the display of upcoming traps, you can tell pretty easily which side of the road it was on. The problem with my TomTom not sure this is true for all models, it does not announce them, you have to keep looking at the unit to see that one coming up.

Now the real PITA part, was converting the .cvs file from the trapter site to a .poi file. I found a few free website which will convert the file for you, but they limit the size they will convert. They would limited to 15K or 25K files i think the largest I ran across was 64K, if you down load all of the US it 7Meg and no site will convert the file unless you pay a fee. I had no luck finding a utility that I could use on my Mac that would do this for me verses going to a website.

What I found worked well was using trapster on the Q and TomTom at the same time. I would get the announcement of an upcoming trap look at my TomTom to see if it was on the road near me and do the appropriate thing.

Great idea, still needs lots of work which we all are provide this guy the necessary feedback to fix. We all know he is going to turn around and make us all pay for it later. When in fact he should give it to us for free since we are early adopter fouls who helped him get the bugs out it.

nategr8ns
01-30-2009, 07:12 PM
My Tomtom One has an option to announce close POIs of certain types. If you dig through the menus you can probably find it.

Motor On
01-31-2009, 01:33 PM
I still think that the best feature of Trapster - it's most promising aspect - is the "Live Reporting."
+1 it just needs more people so we're actually seeing those alerts!

I've it on my phone and Garmin, the phone for live reporting, the Garmin so I get a low level chime, which in unfamiliar areas is good to have and combine with the RD alerts for helping to sort out police radar from erroneous radar sources.

AirMoore
02-01-2009, 08:53 AM
+1 it just needs more people so we're actually seeing those alerts!

I've it on my phone and Garmin, the phone for live reporting, the Garmin so I get a low level chime, which in unfamiliar areas is good to have and combine with the RD alerts for helping to sort out police radar from erroneous radar sources.

I agree about trapster (non-live alert) for areas you don't know... its a very nice feature to put on your GPS.

For areas you drive really often... its sort of pointless (because you already know where things are anyways), but I still put the points in for others using the service... this is where the live-alert feature is great.

noTe
02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Here in Cincinnati there are NO red light cameras but yet I found like over 20 of them posted in the city that I had to remove.

Ugh.

o2bad455
02-14-2009, 11:00 AM
I agree with ALL of the shortcomings mentioned above, but still think it's a great idea.

I'm afraid that some LEOs are actually voting against some of the most difficult traps, which are often also the hardest to detect even after the fact. Thus, the worst trap that I reported has now been deleted because no one else reported it and someone (presumably the LEO that mans it) voted against it.

I've tried a few non-iPhones for live reporting with minimal success (my carrier still doesn't offer or allow an iPhone). I understand that Trapster is well-developed for iPhone because Apple actually cooperated with development. I'd really like to see it better developed for other platforms. As for non-live use on GPS -- that works great (even on my orphaned Magellan 3225, which announces quite well -- just wish I could make it louder).

AirMoore
02-14-2009, 11:48 AM
I agree with ALL of the shortcomings mentioned above, but still think it's a great idea.

I'm afraid that some LEOs are actually voting against some of the most difficult traps, which are often also the hardest to detect even after the fact. Thus, the worst trap that I reported has now been deleted because no one else reported it and someone (presumably the LEO that mans it) voted against it.

Just put it right back up there... with a comment saying you know for a fact a LEO is there, and say what LEO it is and what gun they are using.

texasspeed
02-15-2009, 05:26 PM
omg!!!!i cannot figure this stuff out!!!!im getting so confused..ive tried on both my mac and my dell...can someone give some really detailed instructions maybe for a dumba**...the trouble im having is just getting it onto my gps..i got all the spots i want and updated them, but having troubles with the files and saving and the poi loader..which i downloaded , but having trouble with the files on that too..

crazyVOLVOrob
02-17-2009, 11:19 PM
omg!!!!i cannot figure this stuff out!!!!im getting so confused..ive tried on both my mac and my dell...can someone give some really detailed instructions maybe for a dumba**...the trouble im having is just getting it onto my gps..i got all the spots i want and updated them, but having troubles with the files and saving and the poi loader..which i downloaded , but having trouble with the files on that too..
YouTube - How to use Trapster with your Navigation Device!

patrickt77
02-20-2009, 06:43 AM
I have a question concerning live police traps.

It appears that a smartphone user can alert and be alerted instantaneously to live speed traps. NAV device users (such as a TOMTOM) cannot use this "realtime" feature. Is this true? I have a TOMTOM 720 that can communicate with my telephone by bluetooth but not a smartphone.

Here in France where all traps are static (i.e. parked not rolling) and detectors are VERY illegal GPS systems with integrated GSM technology for "realtime" updating are quite popular. I use a miniCoyote (Coyote :: Un avertisseur de radars fixes et mobiles - pas un détecteur de radar (http://www.moncoyote.com)) .

The Coyote is a turnkey system that alerts realtime to all speed cameras and live speed traps. I can even signal the direction of the trap. At all times I know how many users are in front of me and how close. (When there are zero, slow down!). Users that abuse are locked out of the system reducing false information.

This all comes at a cost of 12€/month.

Does Trapster distinguish the direction? When alerting is is only a touch of the screen or do I have to call a number?

thanks

mikered30
03-17-2009, 07:51 PM
I found a site similar to trapster: PhantomAlert.com: No More Speeding Tickets - Home (http://www.phantomalert.com/index.php)

stlcardsfan
03-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Here in Cincinnati there are NO red light cameras but yet I found like over 20 of them posted in the city that I had to remove.

Ugh.
People see the intersection surveillance cameras and think that they are red light cameras. Same here.

scull20
03-18-2009, 01:42 PM
I've been messing around with Trapster on my iPhone. Its pretty nifty but kind of a pain unless my phone is on my dashboard...but the audio alerts are quite nice. The battery draw in dynamic mode is pretty high as well. I have found that the map is a bit twitchy at times as well as reception even in 3G mode. I've only found myself using it on highways that I don't travel often.

TSi+WRX
03-18-2009, 08:44 PM
People see the intersection surveillance cameras and think that they are red light cameras. Same here.

+1 for Cleveland-Metro, too.

I've already had to correct one such mistake, for a set of traffic-monitoring cameras right near where I live.

Trapster is a very powerful tool, but it's main strength is also its primary weakness - one which renders it a "Lowest Common Denominator" tool.

Cobra
03-27-2009, 12:21 AM
thanks for the info! just signed up for trapster, i wish they made an app for android(g1 phone)

Sean@trapster.com
05-28-2009, 05:26 PM
thanks for the info! just signed up for trapster, i wish they made an app for android(g1 phone)

The android app is in testing right now, so I will keep you updated on the release.

I just joined, so please feel free to contact me about any and all issues regarding trapster.

Thanks! :w00t:

guit123
05-28-2009, 05:32 PM
is there a tomtom poi for trapster?

Lucky225
05-28-2009, 07:49 PM

The android app is in testing right now, so I will keep you updated on the release.

I just joined, so please feel free to contact me about any and all issues regarding trapster.

Thanks! :w00t:

SWEET this forum gets better every day

TSi+WRX
05-29-2009, 09:47 AM
is there a tomtom poi for trapster?

Yes, the Trapster POIs will work for TomToms.

You'll simply have to do the file conversions that they (Trapster) detail on their website.

happya$$
05-29-2009, 09:59 AM
just downloaded it for my Iphone I LOVE IT.

Sean@trapster.com
05-29-2009, 11:50 AM

Awesome :geekon:

Please post a review &/or any questions/comments.

Thanks!

Stealth Stalker
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM
I have not used Trapster, but I love the concept and would like to try it out sometime. But, from the reports we get here, there seems to be some serious flaws in the reporting system. It seems that a great many of the people making reports simply don't know what they are talking about. Consequently, the system is flooded with false alerts. Every DOT traffic camera they see gets reported as a red light camera. Every cop on the side of the road gets reported as a speed trap. And people who drive through a legitimate speed trap area, but don't see a cop, vote down the legit traps. Are any changes being contemplated that might improve upon the accuracy?

Lucky225
05-29-2009, 11:32 PM
I have not used Trapster, but I love the concept and would like to try it out sometime. But, from the reports we get here, there seems to be some serious flaws in the reporting system. It seems that a great many of the people making reports simply don't know what they are talking about. Consequently, the system is flooded with false alerts. Every DOT traffic camera they see gets reported as a red light camera. Every cop on the side of the road gets reported as a speed trap. And people who drive through a legitimate speed trap area, but don't see a cop, vote down the legit traps. Are any changes being contemplated that might improve upon the accuracy?

X2 I've been wondering the same thing, I've been thinking for a long time about getting a 9500CI to compliment my blinders, and also thinking about getting a new prepaid cellphone w/ unlimited internet just for TrapSter, but if I'm going to get annoyed with false alerts all over the place, which is a primary reason for getting the 9500CI in addition to it's stealth install, then it may not be worth it.

BlinderGuy
05-31-2009, 05:38 AM
I put Trapster on my iPhone and it works great also!

category4
05-31-2009, 06:08 AM
I put Trapster on my iPhone and it works great also!

I just put my iPhone in the garbage, you don't know how good that makes me feel!!!

jimmcconnon
05-31-2009, 07:07 AM
I am interested in using trapster on a Blackberry Bold.

How have people found the battery power usage?

Is that a problem?

BlinderGuy
05-31-2009, 07:22 AM
I am interested in using trapster on a Blackberry Bold.

How have people found the battery power usage?

Is that a problem?
On my iPhone battery is not a issue since I am only using it my car it is plugged into the car charger.

mikered30
05-31-2009, 08:57 PM

That is exactly what happened in the harrisburg PA area, I swear anyone who sees a cop sitting thinks it is a speed trap. Also, everyone thinks the DOT cameras are RLC, it almost makes the site worthless. I am not sure how they can make it more accurate. But it pisses me off because if I mark a trap and someone drives by once and doesnt see a cop they say it is not a trap. Also, some people just join to say locations are not traps to piss you off or they are cops and dont want their hideouts found. I also think cops join to make dummy spots too.

Sean@trapster.com
06-01-2009, 09:36 AM

That is exactly what happened in the harrisburg PA area, I swear anyone who sees a cop sitting thinks it is a speed trap. Also, everyone thinks the DOT cameras are RLC, it almost makes the site worthless. I am not sure how they can make it more accurate. But it pisses me off because if I mark a trap and someone drives by once and doesnt see a cop they say it is not a trap. Also, some people just join to say locations are not traps to piss you off or they are cops and dont want their hideouts found. I also think cops join to make dummy spots too.

X2 I've been wondering the same thing, I've been thinking for a long time about getting a 9500CI to compliment my blinders, and also thinking about getting a new prepaid cellphone w/ unlimited internet just for TrapSter, but if I'm going to get annoyed with false alerts all over the place, which is a primary reason for getting the 9500CI in addition to it's stealth install, then it may not be worth it.

Stealth Stalker & Lucky225 - I encourage you to load this free app onto your mobile phone, and give it your own review. But I will still comment on your assumptions: We at trapster monitor all users, and we can easily control what users are reporting. If there is a user that happens to be reporting a lot of red light cameras that are actually your typical traffic camera, those "bad reports" will be removed within minutes. Also, every trap can be voted on by all users. So if there is a bad trap, it should be voted down quickly by the "Trapster Nation" : ) So to sum it up... we have a team of employees here that monitor the trapmap to keep it as accurate as possible. And with over 1 million users worldwide, traps can be voted on and removed within 1 hour, if indeed they are inaccurate. Please feel free to give me your personal review of the app, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Stealth Stalker
06-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Well, simply from a safety point of view, I would never use Trapster on my cellphone anymore than I would text message while driving. That's just a really bad idea, and probably going to result in a civil suit against you sooner or later when someone says their wreck was due to your service.

But if I could get it on the mobile PC, I would definitely check it out.

Sean@trapster.com
06-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Well, simply from a safety point of view, I would never use Trapster on my cellphone anymore than I would text message while driving. That's just a really bad idea, and probably going to result in a civil suit against you sooner or later when someone says their wreck was due to your service.

But if I could get it on the mobile PC, I would definitely check it out.

Thanks for your review, have you installed Trapster on your mobile yet?

With your concerns about safety, we at Trapster strive to make using our application as safe as possible. With the iPhone, we are working on new features, such as one touch trap setting, and/or commands using just finger swipes on the touch screen. If you think of all the distractions that are legal in your vehicles already (GPS units, Personal music players, phones, etc) even using your radar dector can take your eyes off the road. So, we think that alerting other users of speed traps, road blocks, traffic, etc. is actually going to make drivers slow down and be "safer". Not to mention the good karma you get when helping out your fellow users. :beer:

And the fact that Trapster is supported by police across the world, helps reassure us, that we are indeed helping drivers be "safer." there are numerous news stories to back this up... and if you are interested I could post some various news clips of police chiefs supporting our free application.

And we are testing the app for windows mobile, you should visit our forum to talk with our developers about any questions/feature requests for the app. trapster dot com / forum

Thanks for your feedback, and I look forward to any more you can leave us!

Stealth Stalker
06-03-2009, 01:20 AM
I was not aware that I could. The website certainly says nothing about it. All I see on the website is iPhones and Blackberries and TomToms. I see nothing about actual PCs. Am I missing something?

Sean@trapster.com
06-03-2009, 09:40 AM
I was not aware that I could. The website certainly says nothing about it. All I see on the website is iPhones and Blackberries and TomToms. I see nothing about actual PCs. Am I missing something?

To use the service on your PC, just go to the TrapMap. Trapster - Trapster Speed Trap Sharing System (http://trapster.com/rl/Trapster.php)

With the TrapMap, you can do all the reporting, that you can do on your mobile.

Sean@trapster.com
06-03-2009, 09:40 AM

To use the service on your PC, just go to the TrapMap. I will post the link, right after this post, since I only have 14 posts...and need 15 to be able to post links. :D

With the TrapMap, you can do all the reporting, that you can do on your mobile.

Trapster - Trapster Speed Trap Sharing System (http://trapster.com/rl/Trapster.php)

Stealth Stalker
06-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Okay, I am registered and found the Trap Map. But I still don't see how I download this application to my PC. Obviously, I cannot just drive around looking at the Trap Map, and moving it around to match my location. It will need to somehow be applied to my GPS mapping (MS Streets & Trips) before it is of any use to me.

Sean@trapster.com
06-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Okay, I am registered and found the Trap Map. But I still don't see how I download this application to my PC. Obviously, I cannot just drive around looking at the Trap Map, and moving it around to match my location. It will need to somehow be applied to my GPS mapping (MS Streets & Trips) before it is of any use to me.

It is hard to help you since this is progressing so slowly. But if I am correct here.. you do not have an iphone, blackberry, smart phone, etc. And you want to take advantage of Trapster while you are using your current phone?

You can use the Trapmap, & another great feature is the text alerts... so lets say you commute to work taking generally the same route. You can just route your commute on the trapmap... and anytime there is a speed trap, checkpoint, etc. reported on your route, you will get a text when approaching...

Check that out here: Trapster - Please Login (http://www.trapster.com/config-alert-sms.php)

category4
06-05-2009, 02:11 PM

It is hard to help you since this is progressing so slowly. But if I am correct here.. you do not have an iphone, blackberry, smart phone, etc. And you want to take advantage of Trapster while you are using your current phone?

You can use the Trapmap, & another great feature is the text alerts... so lets say you commute to work taking generally the same route. You can just route your commute on the trapmap... and anytime there is a speed trap, checkpoint, etc. reported on your route, you will get a text when approaching...

Check that out here: Trapster - Please Login (http://www.trapster.com/config-alert-sms.php)

Stealth has a laptop in his car with a gps module connected to the laptop. He uses this for his GPS.

Sean@trapster.com
06-05-2009, 02:56 PM

Stealth has a laptop in his car with a gps module connected to the laptop. He uses this for his GPS.

Thank you.

I will keep you updated with the release of the windows mobile app... till then you are kind of stuck with work arounds...

Stealth Stalker
06-05-2009, 10:44 PM
But if I am correct here.. you do not have an iphone, blackberry, smart phone, etc. And you want to take advantage of Trapster while you are using your current phone?
No. PC = Personal Computer. A laptop computer mounted inside the car. As I said before, no way would I use a handheld application while driving, and neither should anyone else.

sciblades
06-05-2009, 11:01 PM
i think this is great and actually bought an ipod touch for this very application alas i learned it only worked if you had wifi with the ipod touch, duh...

I think if you have an air card you can use your laptop with a gps unit not sure though.

I was wondering why my Pearl 8330 does not work it can never find my location always says i am in california :(

Stealth Stalker
06-06-2009, 12:57 AM
I will keep you updated with the release of the windows mobile app... till then you are kind of stuck with work arounds...
Ooops! The page turned, so I missed this post.

What is the work-around? :dontknow:

PCs don't have Windows Mobile. A PC is a regular computer, just like in your home or office. Mine runs Windows Vista. And it doesn't connect to a stand-alone GPS, like a Garmin or TomTom. It hooks to a GPS antenna and runs Microsoft Streets & Trips as it's mapping program.

TSi+WRX
06-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Reading a Text message from Trapster is no more or less dangerous than reading off a GPS/NAV/entertainment screen, or even looking at an accessory (including a radar detector's output) or gauges.

If you truly think that reading a Text message is more dangerous, then you really should not be fooling with any of the above, particularly as given that the phone's display can be moved to be within your primary line-of-view, whereas most accessories are mounted outside of such.

I've got over $2000's worth of ancillary gauges mounted in my car - and that's not counting the speed-detection countermeasures nor my datalogging setup (laptop based), and anyone who says that reading one display is any more or less dangerous than another is not willing to recogize the truth of the situation.

I've devoted a lot of time and money to make sure that all of my displays, everything from ancillary gauges to the aftermarket GPS, is within primary-sightlines, and even then, I count on things like "full-dial" visual warning, ancillary warning lights, as well as audible alarms/output - instead of actually "reading" these instruments.

Receiving, and subsequently taking action, based on INCOMING alerts should not be any more or less dangerous than any other secondary activity undertaken while actively driving.

-----

Actively sending Text is a whole other story - but IIRC, Trapster has a one-key input setup for reporting, correct, Sean? :confused:

I'm technologically retarded, when it comes to cell-phones. :o For as much of a gadget-geek as I am, it's just not one of my things. I have a simple Bluetooth-enabled cell-phone (for as much as I hate taking/making calls when I'm driving, I've come to accept it as a matter of living in the real-world:p, and I use this setup purely for such), which unfortunately does not have GPS capabilities....but I seem to remember that there's that little feature?

Sean@trapster.com
06-08-2009, 06:10 PM
i think this is great and actually bought an ipod touch for this very application alas i learned it only worked if you had wifi with the ipod touch, duh...

I think if you have an air card you can use your laptop with a gps unit not sure though.

I was wondering why my Pearl 8330 does not work it can never find my location always says i am in california :(

Regarding your Pearl: please go to Options | Advanced | Applications | Trapster and make sure all permissions are set to "allow". If that doesn't work, try a battery-out reset of the device, and make sure you have a clear view of the sky.

Keep me updated on this issue, we will soon be releasing an update for BlackBerry, so I will keep you posted.

Ooops! The page turned, so I missed this post.

What is the work-around? :dontknow:

PCs don't have Windows Mobile. A PC is a regular computer, just like in your home or office. Mine runs Windows Vista. And it doesn't connect to a stand-alone GPS, like a Garmin or TomTom. It hooks to a GPS antenna and runs Microsoft Streets & Trips as it's mapping program.

We had a miscommunication, & it was all on my end. Sorry bout that.

If you can not use any other device besides your laptop... while driving... Then I guess that's all you got. If you expand to use a nav unit... or mobile phone... then we can help you out.

I would have to agree with others here, that using certain devices while driving is quite common, and safe. Using trapster can be as distracting as using a radio, ipod, or GPS... and we are contiously improving the app to be as safe as possible. The one thing that has me scratching my head is... how you can use your laptop while driving... but think it would be so dangerous to use a mobile phone:confused: there are plenty of holsters for your phone, similar to the ones that hold your laptop...

There is also our toll free number to report traps... and you can set up the text alerts to be alerted of traps as well.

Actively sending Text is a whole other story - but IIRC, Trapster has a one-key input setup for reporting, correct, Sean? :confused:

I'm technologically retarded, when it comes to cell-phones. :o For as much of a gadget-geek as I am, it's just not one of my things. I have a simple Bluetooth-enabled cell-phone (for as much as I hate taking/making calls when I'm driving, I've come to accept it as a matter of living in the real-world:p, and I use this setup purely for such), which unfortunately does not have GPS capabilities....but I seem to remember that there's that little feature?

As far as for push notification, we already do essentially that. We came up with a way to do push notification via location based text messages. The actual Push feature in iPhone 3.0 (which obviously we will use) will just make that cleaner.

Stealth Stalker
06-08-2009, 06:15 PM
I would have to agree with others here, that using certain devices while driving is quite common, and safe.
Yeah, it's so safe that more and more states are outlawing it.

category4
06-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I have to agree with stealth, using any of these devices (phone, PDA, nav unit, etc) while driving is dangerous. I know i do it too much and see it too many times.

Sean@trapster.com
06-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I would have to agree with others here, that using certain devices while driving is quite common, and safe.

I noticed you completely ignored my question: how you can use your laptop while driving... but think it would be so dangerous to use a mobile phone?

There have been several news reports on trapster, and how police support us, since it will help drivers slow down, be safe, etc.

category4
06-08-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm not saying one is better than the other, but taking ones eyes off the road to read a message or enter information in any form is risky and dangerous. Especially when there are so many on the road performing these tasks.

Sean@trapster.com
06-08-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm not saying one is better than the other, but taking ones eyes off the road to read a message or enter information in any form is risky and dangerous. Especially when there are so many on the road performing these tasks.

Yea... in a perfect world there would be no distractions while driving.

Also, there would be no speed traps, speed limits, smog, high gas prices, etc. :D

Stealth Stalker
06-08-2009, 08:31 PM
how you can use your laptop while driving... but think it would be so dangerous to use a mobile phone?
It has a fifteen inch screen, so the map requires very little focus. Just a quick glance is all it takes. I do not have to dig it out of my belt pouch, hold it up to my face, unlock the keyboard, find the application, and then look at a 2 inch screen to try and figure out what it is. Huge difference.

Sean@trapster.com
06-08-2009, 10:24 PM
how you can use your laptop while driving... but think it would be so dangerous to use a mobile phone?
It has a fifteen inch screen, so the map requires very little focus. Just a quick glance is all it takes. I do not have to dig it out of my belt pouch, hold it up to my face, unlock the keyboard, find the application, and then look at a 2 inch screen to try and figure out what it is. Huge difference.

Yea, if you have to do all that it would be hard. We recommend starting the app before you get in your car, that way you can take a quick look and see if there are any traps in your area. Also, we recommend using a dock, which will keep the map close to your line up sight. Also, the app uses voice alerts, and like mentioned earlier we have the one touch reporting in the works for iPhone's 3.0 release on June 17th.

This is the iPhone dock I like: Amazon.com: Advanced Car Mount System for Apple iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 2nd Generation - 360 degrees rotating flexible Neck, built-in cutting edge FM Transmitter: Electronics

there are a lot of different ones for all different models. There is also a dock that will just stick to your windshield.

TSi+WRX
06-09-2009, 07:44 AM

As far as for push notification, we already do essentially that. We came up with a way to do push notification via location based text messages. The actual Push feature in iPhone 3.0 (which obviously we will use) will just make that cleaner.

I've gotta get myself a better phone. :)

I plan to do so in about another year - and its compatibility with applications like Trapster will be among my selection factors.

----

I have to agree with stealth, using any of these devices (phone, PDA, nav unit, etc) while driving is dangerous. I know i do it too much and see it too many times.

I noticed you completely ignored my question: how you can use your laptop while driving... but think it would be so dangerous to use a mobile phone?

Exactly - NONE of it is totally risk free.

Every time we shift our eyes from the roadway survey, we're incurring risk.

^ You're lying to yourself, Stealth. :p

You know I respect you - so trust me, I'm saying this for your own good.

There's no way that interacting, in ANY way at all, with your laptop - even reading it - is any more or less safe than RECEIVING a Text message on your cell.

On a deserted stretch of roadway, try this for yourself:

Give yourself a typical nav-screen to "read" on your laptop, drive at even just 35 MPH, and see, for yourself, how much distance you've covered, without actually having your eyes actually on the road or your surroundings.

Do this on a deserted stretch, just to make sure that you're at best-odds/safety...but I - by God - hope you don't come across a deer or the like.

Unless you've got your laptop mounted directly to your dashboard, you're going to be taking your eyes too far off the road - and also re-focusing - for this task.

Remember, I ride with a laptop, a lot of time, too, I know this, from experience. My primary laptop has a 17" display, I thought that larger would be better, for on-the-go reading - my datalogging screens are full of numbers, and way too small. Even when I engage a screen on which a "dashboard" emulation can be run or if I switch to a simple six-parameter display, actually "interacting" with that display (I'd be looking at numbers the size of the bold "size 6" font on this Forum, such as: THIS) simply takes my eyes too far off-road, for too long. I ditched that setup because I realized that I wasn't going to be able to even glance at it during actual driving, and recently moved to a Netbook-style notebook simply for its size and convenience.

Similarly, race-car drivers will have their gauges "indexed" so that all of the indicator arrows point "up" when their respective monitored sensors are within normal range. Why is this so? It's so that, at a glance, they can see that things are OK. Even then, any experienced race driver will tell you that there's no way to "read" such gauges under driving conditions, and that for primary warning, one or several big visual alert lights and/or an audible alert buzzer is the only way to go, and that checking gauges is secondary, no matter how close to the primary line of sight the gauges are mounted.

To say that any one ancillary display is worse than another is just false logic, particularly when the display of the item disputed, such as that from a Trapster App iPhone, can be, itself, at least moved into primary sightlines (albeit still will require foreground re-focusing).

Again, I've got first-hand experience with this - my aftermarket nav. device, a simple TomTom One, 3rd. Ed., is hard-mounted to my dash. My eyes move less to take it in than it moves to either my PRIMARY vehicle gauges (speedo/tach) or my factory radio. Yet, I try my best NOT to look at this device while driving, and instead to use its voice commands. Why? The task of accomodating one's vision to-foreground, and then shifting it again downroad (to-infinity), itself, takes time.

No, I'm not advocating sending Text Messages over one's cell-phone while driving.

I'm simply stating a FACT:

*ANY* interaction with ANY of the vehicle's ancillary controls is a risk, and it is the SAME risk.

Ask yourselves this, honestly:

How is reading a Trapster message any more or less dangerous than taking your eyes off the road to adjust either your factory radio or, if you have XM/Sirius, the multi-informational tuner of such a setup?

How is reading a Trapster message any more or less dangerous than looking at the informational screen of even the most simplistic GPS nav device on-market?

How is reading a Trapster message any different than looking at the Bogey display of your high-mounted V1 or reading the numbers from your Escort/Bel's Spec/Tech displays?

Oh, and BTW, yes, I've contributed a few Trap locations to my local Trapster TrapMap.

But before anyone tries to call me out on using the Text features?

Remember, as I've said before, I even dislike using my phone, at all, when I'm driving.

And yep, you guessed it - although I've got my TrapMap set up as I'd want it, I DO NOT, actually, have it sending alert messages out to me.

I simply don't speed when I'm commuting, so not only would such warnings be useless, they'd also just wind up costing me money, since I don't have a data plan on my simplistic cell. :p

And since none of my friends nor family "Text," well, guess what, I don't, either.

I'm not here to defend Trapster.

I'm simply here to state the truth - that it is misguided to somehow think that the use of Trapster is any more or less dangerous than that of *ANY* secondary interaction that we may undertake as drivers.

-----

PS: Stealth - You've gotta take your cell out of your pocket/holster *before* you start driving. Otherwise, it's unsafe for you to even ANSWER a call (and I'd say even to have the phone turned on, as even if you chose to ignore the incoming call, the persistent ringing, until the time that it goes to your voicemail, is a distraction), otherwise.

There's quite a number of different cell holders out there, take a few moments on your next errand run to pick one out, so that you can just pop it in to the holder as soon as you get in the car.

I've got one of those magnetic ones, so I don't need to fool around with clipping it in or anything like that. It's super-convenient, and it was cheap, too.

Similarly, you've gotta switch over to some sort of hands-free system. I hated the entire idea of Bluetooth (as with erickonphoenix, I'm a "driving purist," I rarely even have the radio on, when I'm driving), but it truly has made things so much safer.

Sean@trapster.com
06-09-2009, 09:18 AM
wow, well done. :popcorn:

TSi+WRX
06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
^ It's not my intention to start any arguments. Nor is it to curry favor with any party.

Similarly, I've known Stealth since he first started here. Sure, our relation is just an "e-relationship," but I have a lot of respect for him, and it is not my intention to belittle him in any way. Same goes for category4.

I'm just laying out the facts.

I have a lot of "supporting mods" for my car - no, nothing special, either mods or car, but still, it's there, and it is what I have daily experience with.

With a laptop-based datalogger that could potentially sample hundreds of parameters, if a few pieces of real-time data is to be viewed, it's critical to try to get them as visible as possible, and I'm here to say that even the best attempt to do so still creates risks.

Similarly, I've got another $2000+'s worth of ancillary gauges in the car, also to monitor its vitals - and for none of these gauges, despite placing them in the most visible places and even "indexing" them at times, do I feel comfortable "reading" them at-speed, and rely instead on highly-visible "full-dial" warnings as well as auxiliary warning lights/audible cues.

And when was the last time that we either read off an XM/Sirius radio display or looked at an onboard nav screen - be it aftermarket or factory - and said "oh!" to a driving situation that came about, in just that "split second" that our attention was diverted? When was the last time that occurred when you just looked down at the speedo or perhaps even lingered in the rearview, for too long?

To say that *any* one of these secondary activities incurs somehow less risk than another is just false logic, and I think that anyone who can honestly assess their driving, without ego, without preconceived notions, will see this fact played out many times over the course of even their daily commute, even when at low speeds.

I think that category4 feels the same about this as me - and that Stealth may simply be too hung-up on the words "Text Message" and "cell phone use" to see that the problem here, of Trapster, is not one inherent to this/these applications, but rather, is on the same level of distraction/risk as that of any other in-vehicle secondary action, aside from the actual task of DRIVING.

Sean@trapster.com
06-11-2009, 01:10 PM
How-To Understand Trap Types and Confidence Levels in Trapster

Part of getting the most out of Trapster is understanding the different trap types and confidence levels that we use on the web and in the mobile applications. We’ve created a system that uses various icons and colors to denote different trap types, ie. red light cameras, and their associated user confidence level, so that you can visually add and identify the right traps.

Given that Trapster’s application is only as good as the data that our community members (that’s you) provide us, we think its important to dissect all the different trap types. At the end of the day we want you to feel confident that you’re adding the right trap to the right location, or getting the most accurate speed trap notifications.

This is from our latest blog post, continue reading here: How-To Understand Trap Types and Confidence Levels in Trapster | Trapster Blog (http://blog.trapster.com/2009/06/11/trap-types/)

schadenfreude
06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I've had this on my iphone for a while, but never played with it until the other night.

It's actually a pretty slick setup for me, since I can put the iphone in it's cradle in the armrest and listen to tunes, but when a trap comes up, it plays the alert through the car stereo. I can't see the map with it in the armrest, but the voice tells me what the alert is.

noTe
06-11-2009, 03:32 PM
wow, well done. :popcorn:
Allen tends to... type a lot. :D

Sean@trapster.com
06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
I've had this on my iphone for a while, but never played with it until the other night.

It's actually a pretty slick setup for me, since I can put the iphone in it's cradle in the armrest and listen to tunes, but when a trap comes up, it plays the alert through the car stereo. I can't see the map with it in the armrest, but the voice tells me what the alert is.

Awesome! This is the feedback I love reading. It's just about getting the word out... that this is a free app that can help you avoid tickets, sobriety checkpoints, etc.

The Trapser app for iPhone 3.0 is awesome! we have some screen shots here for you guys to check out: Trapster 3.0 Preview #1 (http://twitpic.com/72yon)

Trapster 3.0 Preview #2 (http://twitpic.com/74ei8)

3.0 Will do everything faster, and has some great new features.

TSi+WRX
06-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Allen tends to... type a lot. :D

No comment...... :o:p

Sean@trapster.com
06-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Teaser: Trapster for iPhone 3.0

If you’re following us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/trapster) then you know that we’ve been sharing screenshots from our soon to be released iPhone app for the new 3.0 software (check out Gizmodo’s (http://gizmodo.com/5171796/iphone-30-os-guide-everything-you-need-to-know) guide to get up to speed on the new software). Of course, we’re keeping all the great features of the iPhone 2.4 release, like Facebook and Twitter integration, but we’re tacking on a few extra goodies.

We’re pretty excited about the new release, which you should see made available on the date the new software launches (June 17th). So to prepare for the news next week, we thought we’d share a few more screenshots and hint at some of the cool updates to come. We think you’ll love the new app just as much as we do, and we’re excited for the upcoming big reveal.

Screenshots and details here:
Teaser: Trapster for iPhone 3.0 | Trapster Blog (http://blog.trapster.com/2009/06/12/trapster-iphone-3/)

Please leave feedback on the blog, we loooove feedback. :)

partsfreak
06-13-2009, 11:15 PM
I just got back from my NC to FL trip using Trapster on my NUVI 760.
Obviously I couldnt get live speedtrap updates, nor did I ever recieve any that were there from when I downloaded the latest. I did this several times during the week so I would have the freshest updates. I did get many of the "Police often hide here" alerts tho. I never saw a LEO in any of the spots where there were alerts although I would say that most looked like they would be good spots. While in Orlando I passed several of the same alert spots many times over a weeks time and never saw LEO there. On I-95 in GA I recd a speed camera alert both coming and going but I didnt see the camera.( I was well over PSL both times) If there was a camera Ill soon find out. Highly doubt it tho. While in Orlando I also got an alert for a red light camera on 50 that is under construction. I spent a good amount of time there searching. No Camera.
I do like the way Trapster inrfaces with the Nuvi. I will coninue to use it but it really hasnt proven to be reliable enough to make me slow down for any of its warnings. I wont install it on my phone. The screen is too small and I am too blind to try to see it. I agree with the opinions of others here that it would be a dangerous distraction on a smaller device.
:badputer::lol::lol::ciao:

category4
06-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Obviously I couldnt get live speedtrap updates, nor did I ever recieve any that were there from when I downloaded the latest. I did this several times during the week so I would have the freshest updates. I did get many of the "Police often hide here" alerts tho. I never saw a LEO in any of the spots where there were alerts although I would say that most looked like they would be good spots. While in Orlando I passed several of the same alert spots many times over a weeks time and never saw LEO there. On I-95 in GA I recd a speed camera alert both coming and going but I didnt see the camera.( I was well over PSL both times) If there was a camera Ill soon find out. Highly doubt it tho. While in Orlando I also got an alert for a red light camera on 50 that is under construction. I spent a good amount of time there searching. No Camera.
I do like the way Trapster inrfaces with the Nuvi. I will coninue to use it but it really hasnt proven to be reliable enough to make me slow down for any of its warnings. I wont install it on my phone. The screen is too small and I am too blind to try to see it. I agree with the opinions of others here that it would be a dangerous distraction on a smaller device.

No speed cameras in GA, that was an error if you got that alert. Don't worry we only have red light cameras.

Sean@trapster.com
06-15-2009, 09:55 AM

Thanks for your review, glad you liked trapster on your GPS. As far as your comments... Trapster is user generated content. All traps can be voted up or down, so if there is a "police often hide here" alert that you do not agree with, it is simple to cast your vote through the trapmap (http://www.trapster.com/rl/Trapster.php) online, or through your mobile device.

I too have some "police often hide here" alerts on my daily commute, that I do not agree with, but I know that some people agree, since it has been voted up.

For Red light cameras/ Speed Cameras I like this map: http://www.iihs.org/laws/cameramap.aspx

we are currently recruiting moderators in each state, to regulate the camera traps, if you or anyone is interested, shoot me an email.

Again, thanks for the review. :crazy_pilot:

Sean@trapster.com
06-15-2009, 10:19 AM
How-To Get Driving Directions With Speed Trap Locations

We know that when heading out on the open road you have many different resources for getting your driving directions. From Expedia.com to Google Maps, the internet is flooded with map services that all seem to do the same thing but in different ways. However, we can say with certainty that no other website gives you driving directions like Trapster.com.

Because not only are you getting turn-by-turn directions, an easy print feature, and estimates for time and distance, but we also give you every speed trap, red light camera, and police hiding spots along the way.

Here is a quick tutorial on how to get driving directions on Trapster.com.

--->How-To get driving directions on trapster website | Trapster Blog (http://blog.trapster.com/2009/06/12/directions-trapster/)

TSi+WRX
06-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Question - Sean....

Has there been any discussion as to how to "weigh" user contributions?

Although the fact that the traps are democratically "voted Up/Down," and this means that there should be some sort of checks-and-balances in-place, I think that this falls prey to "the-lowest-common-denominator" effect.

If a yahoo came in and started reporting every place that they saw an enforcement vehicle - even ones parked at the local McD's or Dunkin' Doughnuts - I understand that, in time, this trap would generate enough no-confidence votes that it would be eliminated....

But what about the reverse effect occurring?

We all know that even though a trap is marked, that there may not be an enforcer there, every day - or even every week (or even every month, for that matter, in the smaller municipalities). These traps can't possibly all be active at the same time, and it's only human, for the enforcers, to try to cycle through them, to catch drivers off-guard.

As a result, you can imagine what's going to happen - that, over time, a trap location that is valid, in that it does pose a genuine threat, eventually gets voted down just because every Joe/Jill who passes through the area, even if they do so only infrequently (and thus cannot make the proper assessment of threat validity), doesn't see an "OMG there's a cop car there," active, trap.

Would that make said location any less valid of a potential threat?

What can be done to insure that valid contributions are not, over time, lost?

---

Why am I asking this? ;)

I won't say that I know it all - I certainly don't. And as my friends who have known me here can testify to, I am very well-grounded in this fact. Heck, even my three-year-old (not to mention my wife!) reminds me of this, every day. :o:D Given such, I'd say, honestly, that I'm at least moderately experienced in terms of "speed trap hunting," to borrow the phrase from The VEIL Guy. :) I get more "eye saves" than I do from my countermeasures. I've had a pretty clean driving record, starting back in '91/'92, when I first got my license. As long-time community members here know, I have a 3-year-old who can spot enforcement vehicles, even "low-profile" vehicles, much better than can any other member of my extended family. I think that makes me at least "average," if not slightly above, in this little game of ours.

Yes, some of my marked traps have been validated by others.

But given that I travel many of my trap-marked routes near daily, I've still, over the course of the past year, seen many of these traps get voted down or eventually deleted (strange that Cleveland Heights and Highland Hills, two of the local municipalities which are known for their draconian speed-enforcement tactics, somehow had many of their traps, which I marked [and detailed, including which bands are used, what potentially distinctive enforcement vehicle is used, and in what direction of travel enforcement is most likely, REF: http://www.radardetector.net/forums/local-regional-info/22559-cleveland-ohio-area-including-suburbs-traps-info.html] (http://www.radardetector.net/forums/local-regional-info/22559-cleveland-ohio-area-including-suburbs-traps-info.html%5D), wiped out? no? :lol:).

Please don't misunderstand.

This is not a point of vanity. I'm old enough to know better. :) As other community members here will tell you, I carry little to no ego. :)

I raise the above question as an honest concern.

If I know that there's a trap in location A, does the fact that I simply do not see an active enforcement vehicle as being there, physically, on day X versus Y - or even if I don't see said trap in-use for weeks, or even months - make it a position that's either not worth pointing out to others, or should make it up for deletion as a valid threat?

I think that what people should realize, in using this feature of Trapster, is that such locations are POTENTIAL trap locations.

It doesn't mean that there's going to be an enforcement vehicle - running active enforcement - "there" any time that me, you, he, or she might run across the marked trap.

I think that people should realize that just because they didn't see an active trap at a marked location, they should think of it as being any less valid than the ones in which they do see the threat.

As partsfreak well pointed out, although he didn't observe any active enforcement at the marked locations, he could tell, from his experience, that those positions are likely trap setups, and that he could appreciate the warning, particularly in an unfamiliar area.

My personal feeling is that people should realize that there's an inherent difference between the Trapster TrapMap marked potential threat ("trap") locations, versus the actively reported, "Live Enforcement" scenarios - and furthermore, that there needs to be some sort of "weight" given to user contributions, with known community members' contributions/votes being counted for more, rather than allowing the process to essentially "weed itself out," where a lot more errors can come into play.

Again, *please* don't misunderstand.

I'm not crying because I'm not popular, because a few of my posted traps have either been voted down or have disappeared entirely. ;) Heck, I was on the Math Team in high-school. I've grown a thick skin, and I readily admit to being a dork. I wonder how I ever scored a wife and had a kid, every day. :lol: I'm a scientist by trade and training, and I know that makes me, automatically, a complete dorkus. I'm not here because I somehow feel that I've been slighted.

Please know that my question/concern here is genuine, and that I am speaking from my heart in trying to make Trapster an even more useful tool than it already is, and in also trying to protect my fellow drivers from unfair traffic fines.

Sean@trapster.com
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Question - Sean....

Has there been any discussion as to how to "weigh" user contributions?

Although the fact that the traps are democratically "voted Up/Down," and this means that there should be some sort of checks-and-balances in-place, I think that this falls prey to "the-lowest-common-denominator" effect.

If a yahoo came in and started reporting every place that they saw an enforcement vehicle - even ones parked at the local McD's or Dunkin' Doughnuts - I understand that, in time, this trap would generate enough no-confidence votes that it would be eliminated....

But what about the reverse effect occurring?

We all know that even though a trap is marked, that there may not be an enforcer there, every day - or even every week (or even every month, for that matter, in the smaller municipalities). These traps can't possibly all be active at the same time, and it's only human, for the enforcers, to try to cycle through them, to catch drivers off-guard.

As a result, you can imagine what's going to happen - that, over time, a trap location that is valid, in that it does pose a genuine threat, eventually gets voted down just because every Joe/Jill who passes through the area, even if they do so only infrequently (and thus cannot make the proper assessment of threat validity), doesn't see an "OMG there's a cop car there," active, trap.

Would that make said location any less valid of a potential threat?

What can be done to insure that valid contributions are not, over time, lost?

---

Why am I asking this? ;)

I won't say that I know it all - I certainly don't. And as my friends who have known me here can testify to, I am very well-grounded in this fact. Heck, even my three-year-old (not to mention my wife!) reminds me of this, every day. :o:D Given such, I'd say, honestly, that I'm at least moderately experienced in terms of "speed trap hunting," to borrow the phrase from The VEIL Guy. :) I get more "eye saves" than I do from my countermeasures. I've had a pretty clean driving record, starting back in '91/'92, when I first got my license. As long-time community members here know, I have a 3-year-old who can spot enforcement vehicles, even "low-profile" vehicles, much better than can any other member of my extended family. I think that makes me at least "average," if not slightly above, in this little game of ours.

Yes, some of my marked traps have been validated by others.

But given that I travel many of my trap-marked routes near daily, I've still, over the course of the past year, seen many of these traps get voted down or eventually deleted (strange that Cleveland Heights and Highland Hills, two of the local municipalities which are known for their draconian speed-enforcement tactics, somehow had many of their traps, which I marked [and detailed, including which bands are used, what potentially distinctive enforcement vehicle is used, and in what direction of travel enforcement is most likely, REF: http://www.radardetector.net/forums/local-regional-info/22559-cleveland-ohio-area-including-suburbs-traps-info.html] (http://www.radardetector.net/forums/local-regional-info/22559-cleveland-ohio-area-including-suburbs-traps-info.html%5D), wiped out? no? :lol:).

Please don't misunderstand.

This is not a point of vanity. I'm old enough to know better. :) As other community members here will tell you, I carry little to no ego. :)

I raise the above question as an honest concern.

If I know that there's a trap in location A, does the fact that I simply do not see an active enforcement vehicle as being there, physically, on day X versus Y - or even if I don't see said trap in-use for weeks, or even months - make it a position that's either not worth pointing out to others, or should make it up for deletion as a valid threat?

I think that what people should realize, in using this feature of Trapster, is that such locations are POTENTIAL trap locations.

It doesn't mean that there's going to be an enforcement vehicle - running active enforcement - "there" any time that me, you, he, or she might run across the marked trap.

I think that people should realize that just because they didn't see an active trap at a marked location, they should think of it as being any less valid than the ones in which they do see the threat.

As partsfreak well pointed out, although he didn't observe any active enforcement at the marked locations, he could tell, from his experience, that those positions are likely trap setups, and that he could appreciate the warning, particularly in an unfamiliar area.

My personal feeling is that people should realize that there's an inherent difference between the Trapster TrapMap marked potential threat ("trap") locations, versus the actively reported, "Live Enforcement" scenarios - and furthermore, that there needs to be some sort of "weight" given to user contributions, with known community members' contributions/votes being counted for more, rather than allowing the process to essentially "weed itself out," where a lot more errors can come into play.

Again, *please* don't misunderstand.

I'm not crying because I'm not popular, because a few of my posted traps have either been voted down or have disappeared entirely. ;) Heck, I was on the Math Team in high-school. I've grown a thick skin, and I readily admit to being a dork. I wonder how I ever scored a wife and had a kid, every day. :lol: I'm a scientist by trade and training, and I know that makes me, automatically, a complete dorkus. I'm not here because I somehow feel that I've been slighted.

Please know that my question/concern here is genuine, and that I am speaking from my heart in trying to make Trapster an even more useful tool than it already is, and in also trying to protect my fellow drivers from unfair traffic fines.

They weren't kidding about you typing a lot :eek:

Can I get the cliff notes version of your question? :D

Well we do have a karma score for each user, so you can check that when checking the votes on each trap. Also, every trap has a different time limit. I advise checking out our blog post about confidence levels & trap types: How-To Understand Trap Types and Confidence Levels in Trapster | Trapster Blog (http://blog.trapster.com/2009/06/11/trap-types/)

Another option would be using our "trusted groups" feature, which would group you and your friends together so that you only see eachother's traps. That way your city wouldn't be too cluttered, and you could just focus on the traps you and your group reported.

Hope this helps. :thumb2:

The Invisible Vervet
06-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Sean--is there any way you can give me a ballpark idea of how commonly the live, text-based updates are utilized within a particular area--specifically, Miami-Dade County, FL (305 and 786 area codes)? I'm replacing my cell phone soon and I might be interested in adding the live update option to my bag of tricks but I'm not planning on purchasing a huge text package. If they're only sparsely issued, I might be interested, but if I'm getting 50 a day, that'll add up quickly...

I don't suppose the live warnings count as a mobile-to-mobile message, do they?

Thanks!

While the discussion has meandered away from the topic a bit, I figured I'd mention that contrary to most people's assumptions, handsfree sets are really no safer than handheld cell phones.

It isn't the fact that your hands are occupied that is so dangerous, it's the strain on your cognitive load. Think of your brain as if it were a computer, with a finite amount of RAM, meaning that there's only so much you can meaningfully attend to at one time. Driving is a "program" that consumes much of your cognitive resources, and to introduce the anticipatory, responsive, and thoughtful elements required to have a telephone conversation is dangerous because it diverts much of your necessary brainpower from the more important and more complex task (driving) to a secondary, yet still fairly complex task (conversing). Just as when you're running a bunch of resource-intensive programs simultaneously on your computer and performance slows down, your brain acts in much the same way by slowing down your reaction times when you're overextended.

Some studies have suggested that the main difference between the relative safety of conversing with a passenger versus conversing on the telephone are due to the fact that when talking on the phone, unlike a passenger, the person on the other end of the line has no idea when you must take a pause from the conversation to concentrate on driving, and that the cadence of the conversation moves faster and with fewer "pauses for driving" than if the non-driver was aware of the driving conditions. The precise reason for why phone conversations are so dangerous hasn't been totally agreed upon, but there is wide consensus that driving while talking (regardless of phone type) is much more dangerous than simply driving.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that looking at a GPS is probably among the least intrusive distractions simply due to the fact that your brain won't have to "change gears" quite as much for that sort of task compared to having an abstract conversation unrelated to your locomotion.

I've got about 15 or so PDFs on the topic from various cognitive psychology journals if anyone is interested in reading them. Just shoot me a PM with your email address.

TSi+WRX
06-15-2009, 04:54 PM
^ That's a very good point - the cognitive load is a big problem.

I remember that, too, seeing somewhere that conversing on even a hands-free is much more dangerous than conversing with an actual live passenger.

Has it been (or has there been an attempt to) quantitate what different tasks (i.e. reading a speedometer versus looking at the rearview image; reading the radio-station/message versus reading a GPS map; etc.) contribute to, in terms of the risk-ratio? or perhaps actual performance deficits?

I think that for many of us "purists," it's why when we're really driving, we tend to even turn off the radio. :)

-----

They weren't kidding about you typing a lot :eek:

My wife's the one with the degree in science writing. :o She tells me that I get diarrhea at the keyboard, and I'm sadly and embarrassingly inclined to agree. :p

Can I get the cliff notes version of your question? :D

Dude, if I could Cliff it, I would'a done that to begin with! You think I like replacing keyboards every month? ;) :lol:

Well we do have a karma score for each user, so you can check that when checking the votes on each trap. Also, every trap has a different time limit. I advise checking out our blog post about confidence levels & trap types: How-To Understand Trap Types and Confidence Levels in Trapster | Trapster Blog (http://blog.trapster.com/2009/06/11/trap-types/)

Another option would be using our "trusted groups" feature, which would group you and your friends together so that you only see eachother's traps. That way your city wouldn't be too cluttered, and you could just focus on the traps you and your group reported.

Hope this helps. :thumb2:

That's very cool! I think I'm going to have to start entering into the community there more (I've never posted on the Forums, nor interacted with any local members). :) That's good incentive!

Thanks for the detailed answer!

The Invisible Vervet
06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
^ That's a very good point - the cognitive load is a big problem.

I remember that, too, seeing somewhere that conversing on even a hands-free is much more dangerous than conversing with an actual live passenger.

Has it been (or has there been an attempt to) quantitate what different tasks (i.e. reading a speedometer versus looking at the rearview image; reading the radio-station/message versus reading a GPS map; etc.) contribute to, in terms of the risk-ratio? or perhaps actual performance deficits?

I think that for many of us "purists," it's why when we're really driving, we tend to even turn off the radio. :)

I'm not sure--my preferred area of study just sort of grazes the surface of cognitive psychology. I've got to finish my thesis and take my qualifying exams over the next 6 weeks, but after that I'll have some time to poke around through the literature to see if anybody has looked at those issues.

TSi+WRX
06-16-2009, 07:58 AM
^ Cool beans! Best of luck! And thanks! :)

Sean@trapster.com
06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Sean--is there any way you can give me a ballpark idea of how commonly the live, text-based updates are utilized within a particular area--specifically, Miami-Dade County, FL (305 and 786 area codes)? I'm replacing my cell phone soon and I might be interested in adding the live update option to my bag of tricks but I'm not planning on purchasing a huge text package. If they're only sparsely issued, I might be interested, but if I'm getting 50 a day, that'll add up quickly...

I don't suppose the live warnings count as a mobile-to-mobile message, do they?

Thanks!

Glad that you are thinking about adding the text-based updates. Great thing about these updates, is they can be controlled completely through our website: Trapster - Speed Trap Sharing System (http://www.trapster.com) So if you plan on just using this on your communte to work, you could just click to activate it before your drive to work, then once you get to work you can just click it off... so you will only be alerted while you are actually driving...

As far as how many text alerts you will get.. it really depends on the police on your route. but I don't think it would be too many... you should really give it a try and post your thoughts in here.

And no they do not count as mobile to mobile, we would do that if we could. Standard text messaging charges do apply...

For more information about setting up SMS/Text alerts Check out this blog post: http://blog.trapster.com/2009/04/21/how-to-setup-route-based-text-message-sms-alerts/

The Invisible Vervet
06-16-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm a full-time graduate student so my schedule is rather irregular, but I'll definitely take advantage of the route-based alerts for any extended road trips in the future. That looks like a really handy feature.

If you can figure out how to get a ballpark estimate of how frequent updates are for a given area or area code, it would be really handy for me (and others in my position--unpredictable schedules/routes with no smartphone and a limited amount of texts per month) before signing up for a more comprehensive alert setup.

Thanks!

Sean@trapster.com
06-16-2009, 05:16 PM
a sneak peak of Trapster on the G1 Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter (http://twitpic.com/7krq3)

Sean@trapster.com
06-17-2009, 08:57 AM
New blog post: Trapster for iPhone 3.0: Experience the Difference - trapster for the iphone os 3.0 | Trapster Blog (http://cli.gs/78stSy)

Tambourine-Man
06-18-2009, 05:42 PM
I hadn't used Trapster for a very long time - maybe back to when it first came out and there were no reports of traps or hiding locations in coastal New England so I did not continue to use it.

However, I just got a new phone (Nokia 5800 - their first touch screen one) for which little software is yet available. Trapster is one that was said to work.

Wow! I used it once and it had many locations for a lot of hiding spots near my office (that I already knew about), so reporting is sure a lot better than the last time I used it.

I had problems because I could not find a manual for it and the icons and lettered buttons are not that intuitive - plus it is not yet optimized for the 5800. Rhe other problem I had was that I only got one voice warning of the first/closets hiding spot and not subsequent ones. (I would prefer to depend on audio warnings rather than looking at a map.) The phone pairs with my car using bluetooth so maybe that was interferring with it.

Anyway I had to reset my phone (for a different problem) and have not reinstalled it as I was advised on the Trapster forum that a new version would be coming out shortly which would be more compatible.

When that is out I am definately reinstalling as I think it is now a valuable additon to a radar detector and a laser jammer.

I think new traps/hiding spots can be reported with a couple of clicks and once one learns the proper spots/buttons to click could be done without taking your eyes off the road.

I hope the new version provides consistent continual verbal warnings.

Sean@trapster.com
06-19-2009, 12:39 PM
I hadn't used Trapster for a very long time - maybe back to when it first came out and there were no reports of traps or hiding locations in coastal New England so I did not continue to use it.

However, I just got a new phone (Nokia 5800 - their first touch screen one) for which little software is yet available. Trapster is one that was said to work.

Wow! I used it once and it had many locations for a lot of hiding spots near my office (that I already knew about), so reporting is sure a lot better than the last time I used it.

I had problems because I could not find a manual for it and the icons and lettered buttons are not that intuitive - plus it is not yet optimized for the 5800. Rhe other problem I had was that I only got one voice warning of the first/closets hiding spot and not subsequent ones. (I would prefer to depend on audio warnings rather than looking at a map.) The phone pairs with my car using bluetooth so maybe that was interferring with it.

Anyway I had to reset my phone (for a different problem) and have not reinstalled it as I was advised on the Trapster forum that a new version would be coming out shortly which would be more compatible.

When that is out I am definately reinstalling as I think it is now a valuable additon to a radar detector and a laser jammer.

I think new traps/hiding spots can be reported with a couple of clicks and once one learns the proper spots/buttons to click could be done without taking your eyes off the road.

I hope the new version provides consistent continual verbal warnings.

Great to have you back in the Trapster nation :)

Yes, we are currently testing our new Nokia app, so keep your eyes on the ovi store, for the latest version. In the mean time, I would just download Trapster again, so you can get in there and report traps in your area.

Please explain in more detail the issue you were having with the voice alerts...

I am currently working on a manual for all of our devices, it is just tough with everything that is going on in the trapster office right now. :eek: in the mean time check out this blog post for understanding the icons, etc. http://blog.trapster.com/2009/06/11/trap-types/

Thanks for your review, and feel free to shoot me an email anytime: Sean@trapster.com