PDA

View Full Version : Got a notebook GPRS Internet card!

Ovencleaner
08-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Man this thing is awsome! I can get broadband speed internet everywhere I get cell reception!

My service costs $60 a month from AT&T, but I think its definitley worth it!

I am finally connected to the internet at home(There is no Cable, DSL, Fiber Optic offered at my location and I satellite internet has to much latency and dial up sucks), and everywhere!

Anyone else have one of these?

Virion
08-26-2008, 06:23 PM
I have one that I use with my laptop for travel. We also have a wifi pyramid that we can plug a verizon card into and it will allow vendors to connect via wifi and gain internet access from the same distances a wireless router will allow. Bandwidth throughput isn't great, but it's not bad.

refuge
08-28-2008, 03:59 AM
I have a Verizon PDA phone that I hacked to get a bluetooth or USB internet connection on Verizon "broadband" with my laptop. The Verizon service is $50 a month for unlimited on the phone. They fixed their newer phones so you can't do this with them anymore without having to pay an even higher service fee, like paying for a separate card and requiring phone service at the same time.

The service is too expensive and not worth even remotely what they are charging for it if you ask me. $20 unlimited a month would be reasonable, $50+ a month is too much to pay for something they call high speed internet when in reality isn't much faster than old school dial up. Its certainly not anything close to true "broadband" speed like they claim it is.

It also doesn't work anywhere you can get a cell phone connection like they imply. It only in reality works in limited areas where you may be able to get good cell phone connections but no internet capabilities.

I've found the areas it does work in, I can always find a free higher speed WiFi connection. Sometimes the WiFi connections may be "secured" and password protected. If you're running Linux though there's plenty of software out there that hacks and gets you into even the most "secure" WiFi connections.

thestaton
08-28-2008, 07:21 AM
awesome. I'm trying to do the same thing right now with my iPhone.

hockey005
08-29-2008, 10:35 AM
that would be nice to have on roadtrips

Virion
09-01-2008, 11:22 AM
It was definitely nice to have when we went to the beach. It's certainly faster than dial up, but a far cry from broadband. At times it can be just as slow as dial up and it's connection speed seems very sporadic. It was extremely nice having the Top Global wifi 3G router as well. It allowed me to use my Sirius Stiletto 2 with the 128k stream. It would be a better cost solution to Satellite should you not have access to DSL, Fios or Cable.

Top Global USA, Inc. (http://www.topglobalusa.com/product2_01.asp?newsid=20031114093603324&classid=102103102)