PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to RD

MVFD162
08-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Hello, I bought my first RD from work. It is a whistler Pro 73. I have a few questions on it. I have a white chevrolet celebrity. I was wondering on the mounting positions for the RD.

Does it have to be level?
High or close to the dash?
Settings on the RD? Like POP, VG-2?, etc?

I live in Upstate NY and I dont know what the cops use.

boomerman
08-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Hello, I bought my first RD from work. It is a whistler Pro 73. I have a few questions on it. I have a white chevrolet celebrity. I was wondering on the mounting positions for the RD.

Does it have to be level?
High or close to the dash?
Settings on the RD? Like POP, VG-2?, etc?

I live in Upstate NY and I dont know what the cops use.

Yes it should be as level as possible.
Mounting it high or close to the dash is a personal opinion and you will get many answers to both.
From my expierence with the PRO58 it made no difference even with laser. But I mount mine above the mirror to help hide it from theives.

Do not turn on VG2! If you read your manual it will tell you if it detect VG2 even if it is a false VG2 it can not detect any other radar source while it is indicating a VG2 alert.

POP is a matter of opinion as well since police can not write a ticket off of a pop reading then it does not matter if POP is enabled or not.
With my PRO58 on POP mode it seems to false more.

brick
08-30-2005, 04:50 PM
POP is a matter of opinion as well since police can not write a ticket off of a pop reading then it does not matter if POP is enabled or not.
With my PRO58 on POP mode it seems to false more.

My theory on POP detection is that it is useful if you live in an area where POP-equipped guns are in use. It's true that instant-on must be used to write the ticket, but the officer doesn't have to use it until he is 100% sure that the vehicle deserves a ticket. The only signal to detect before the "kill shot" would be bursts of POP radar. Unfortunately it has been shown that the New York State Police do own several of these MPH guns so I would at least give POP detection a chance.

Radar 4 Ever
11-29-2005, 02:46 PM
MVFD162, I live in up state NY my self. I live in Guilderland right next to Crossgates mall if you know that area. But i have a question for who ever......If you turn POP on does that eliminate the KA, K, and X bands from being on?

tjbender
11-29-2005, 03:09 PM
MVFD162, I live in up state NY my self. I live in Guilderland right next to Crossgates mall if you know that area. But i have a question for who ever......If you turn POP on does that eliminate the KA, K, and X bands from being on?

Not at all. POP is just an extremely short burst of K/Ka, not its own band. The only downside to having POP on is that you'll get lots and lots of falses on it, and it's not foolproof--detectors can still be beaten by POP, even when it's turned on.