PDA

View Full Version : install on my jeep

The Breeze
10-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Where would you guys mount the front heads on this jeep. I am torn between inside the grill, just over the fog lights, or under the bumper just inside the push pad things. in the grill, I have 16" to the plate. Under the bumper I have 16" to center of head lights. Under the bumper would be more concealed, but I am wondering where they would work best. I do go into Canada once in a while, so I want to hide them as best as possible. In addition, I will be using Veil on all hot spots (hL, fL, and plate cover). We are required to have front plates, so I will be covering it with a Veiled Photo Blur cover as suggested by The Veil Guy, essentially killing two birds with one stone. Thanking you all in advance for your help.

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8459/121132146zzzzzzzzz8a9d0ef0.jpg (http://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?image=121132146zzzzzzzzz8a9d0ef0.jpg)

djrams80
10-26-2008, 08:22 PM
I say just over the fog lights.

The Breeze
10-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks...I was actually thinking of putting them directly on top of the fog lights?

djrams80
10-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks...I was actually thinking of putting them directly on top of the fog lights?Good luck getting them straight and level up there.

TSi+WRX
10-28-2008, 06:50 AM
^ Not necessarily....

If there's enough of a horizontal span where the jammer head can rest, it should be fine, particularly if his external lighting setup is nice and robust (i.e. free from wobbles).

What I'm more concerned about would be heat from those lamps, when he decides to run them.

"Melting" of the plastic and/or damage to the internals of the jammer heads is one thing - but the other is whether or not the heat would, even if it is not sufficient to elicit damage of the unit - negatively impact the performance of the jammers.

We've seen how even low-level radiant heat can drastically (negatively) impact the performance of the laser-diode (CLED) based jammers....I wonder what would happen to the LED based......

The Breeze
10-28-2008, 12:19 PM
I was concerned about the same thing Allen. I don't know what the brackets that come with them look like, but I might use them on top of the light, even though it would be very obvious that I have some sort of sensors on top of them. I keep leaning toward under the bumper, just for aesthetic reasons. I think I will need to hack the grill up for them to go up there unless the sensors work as well vertically, as horizontal. Any thoughts on mounting the sensor vertically? Heck I don't know. I will figure it out when I get the unit in my hands I guess.

TSi+WRX
10-28-2008, 02:59 PM
^ I wish I knew what to say, RE: vertical mounting of the ZR4's front heads..... that's honestly beyond what little knowledge I have. :o

Maybe MEM-TEK and/or Radar Roy would know. :confused: Hopefully!

As for placement, I agree, it might just be a case of "wait and see," finding the best solution after you have the devices in-hand.

The Breeze
10-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Well, I finally wrote to Radar Roy about the vertical placement of the heads, and this is his reply: "The heads will work vertical, however the beam spread will also be vertical and not horizontal. This would work great for officers shooting you from overpasses but your ground level performance will be reduced somewhat"

Now we know!!! Looks like I will be going horizontal.

TSi+WRX
10-31-2008, 07:12 AM
^ Thank you for letting us *all* know. :)