PDA

View Full Version : Type of radars used

big_man1000
02-18-2009, 09:19 AM
sorry if this is a dumb thread, but i want some of your more experienced/expert opinions for those who have been around much longer than I. I have just bought my SRX, but wanted to get a sense of how well its going to protect me. I am mostly driving in and around Atlanta and Athens Georgia. (home in atlanta and school at UGA in athens) i know there are websites that tell you which bands etc they use and i also saw a post of a screen shot of different types of protection against certain bands but couldn't understand it very well when comparing to my SRX. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

djrams80
02-18-2009, 09:24 AM
What kind of car is this going to be installed on?

Is it already installed?

Any pictures of the install? Make sure to block the plate numbers if you have pictures.

big_man1000
02-18-2009, 11:02 AM
i havent installed it yet, but its going on an '06 A4. i have posted some pictures on another thread as im still trying to figure out exactly where to mount the front laser shifters

djrams80
02-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Against radar, the SRX will be excellent. so long as it's mounted properly. Against laser, the SRX will perform well enough, so long as it's mounted properly, you add Veil to your setup and don't run up against a Stalker.

M6D
02-18-2009, 01:32 PM
I had an SRX on a car that was a bit larger than your A4 and it worked fine for me in the Northeast Georgia area. I don't make it to Athens much, but I spend a good bit of time on 316 in the Dacula area. The V1 picked up radar better than the SRX, but I had 4 or 5 laser saves over 2 years and one punchthrough for a ticket.

It's a good system - you're in good shape. Get the V1 when you can.

category4
02-18-2009, 01:42 PM
As DJ said I would add Veil on the headlights with the SRX. Once you get it installed give a shout and we can test your setup so you know how you stand on laser.

big_man1000
02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
cool thanks guys, i really appreciate your help, its really made me much more confident about what ive bought and the whole install process on the other threads. I am hoping to install it the first weekend of my spring break and then im road tripping down to MIA so it will be a pretty good test i think! not gonna take too many risk, just cruise at about 10-15 mph other the speed limit just to test it out and see what kinda hits i get, if any

as for Veil, how much does it cost, and does it make your headlights look any different as for color and light transmission? also i know its possible to do yourself but how hard is it. and how much would it cost to get somebody to install it myself?

Colonel Ingus
02-18-2009, 09:59 PM
One or two coats of veil shouldn't darken your lights too much, but it will a little. I prefer to spray it on but most people use the brushes because it's easier. Take your time. If you can take the light assembly off it will help in appearance. Good luck :)

big_man1000
02-20-2009, 10:42 AM
cool. how much does it cost to cover 2 headlights in 1 or 2 coats? and where could i buy this?

djrams80
02-20-2009, 11:05 AM
cool. how much does it cost to cover 2 headlights in 1 or 2 coats? and where could i buy this?There is a enough Veil in one can to do at least two cars, if not more.

Veil Anti Laser Stealth Coating - Laser Jammers at Radar Busters (http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-detector-accessories/laser-veil/laserveil.cfm)

Xen0n flash
02-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Veil runs around $100 with s/h. You can go to www.laserveil.com to purchase directly. Don't trust any of those Ebay a-holes. Also, unless you are a professional painter, I'd suggest having a professional apply it for you so it doesn't look disgustingly obvious and draw negative attention you don't want to your vehicle.

The SRX is a great system from what I hear, and it's at a reasonable price. The laser jamming on the SR heads (Without Veil) is limited though, especially with the common LTI guns, but it should buy you a good 5 seconds to slowdown to the PSL before a punchthrough (speed reading).

Good luck with it, and don't forget to share your experiences and saves with it here. :D

big_man1000
02-21-2009, 10:27 AM
ok thanks guys. what type of stores would apply Veil professionally? if anybody here is from the atlanta/athens area do you know what places do it?

big_man1000
02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
bump...

big_man1000
02-23-2009, 02:34 PM
sorry, nevermind the bump, forgot xenon flash has posted the link...

Freebird
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Just buy it in the 5 gallon bucket and get a mop, then apply it to the whole car man.. then you will be stealthy like Happya$$ lol

Just kidding I couldnt resist

big_man1000
02-23-2009, 03:10 PM
haha... ya good idea, dunno why i didnt think of that before! :-)

djrams80
02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Just buy it in the 5 gallon bucket and get a mop, then apply it to the whole car man.. then you will be stealthy like Happya$$ lol

Just kidding I couldnt resistIf punka$$ Veiled his whole car, it would probably look cleaner! :haha:

big_man1000
02-23-2009, 09:36 PM
lol... i feel like all of these threads end up getting jacked by you guys!! pretty funny