PDA

View Full Version : Whistler 1730 Review

compu44
10-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Recently my Bel RX65 had to be shipped off for service, and I picked up a Whistler 1730 to use while it was gone. I've been using it for about two weeks now, and thought i'd post my results for anyone that's interested.

The 1730 is a small unit, it's got a black casing with grey buttons, so windshield glare is minimal. It no longer ships with the silver windshield mount, it's now painted flat black. This makes it much less noticable from outside the car.

The detector comes with a 5ft straight cord, windshield mount (only one set of suction cups) and a very brief manual.

The build quality seems pretty good, it actually feels fairly solid. The cord sticks firmly in the detector and lighter socket.

The detector uses LED lights across the front for the indications. They are FAR too dim to see in sunlight. The only way I could see them during bright sun was to mount the detector behind the tint strip and right above my head. The sounds were also horribly weak, especially the K-Band tone. They were easily overpowered by 65 mph with the windows down. The tones are distinct for each band except for Ka and X. If they were different, it was close enough that I couldn't tell. If you've got anything but an extremely quiet vehicle, you need ot look elsewhere. I've had the same problem with tones being WAY too quiet on another non-voice whistler that I used. The voice models are a lot louder, but still not close to the Bel's tones.

The 1730 has only three buttons plus the power/volume wheel. It has a City mode, Quiet button, and a VG2 cloak button. The city mode is a half-hearted attempt - it beeps twice when a signal is first detected, then goes silent until the signal reaches full strength (line-of-sight with the radar source). It does this for ALL THREE bands as well. If you miss the initial alert, you're screwed with city mode on. The quiet mode works like it did on the older Bel Vector models, it alerts for several seconds at normal volume, then switches to a clicking sound for the duration of the alert. It is a neat feature, but not really nescessary due to the low alert volume of the unit. I didn't use the VG2 cloaking mode since I have no need for it in Illlinois. These features all re-set every time you turn the detector off, but I found that the default settings (highway mode, quiet mode off, VG2 cloak off) were the best for me anyway.

Detection was surprising for such a cheap ($40) detector. It certainly wasn't even in the same league as some more expensive detectors, but it seemed to be about the same as a $100 Cobra ESD9210 that i'd owned previously. Normally about 5 seconds pre-warning to K and Ka, sometimes a little more. No more than 10 seconds. In comparison to the Cobra, it seemed like I got a little better warning to K with the Whistler, and a little better to Ka with the Cobra. I didn't have any encounters with Laser.

So, to wrap it all up-

Pros - Detection for the money
Ease of use
Build quality

Cons- Audio Volume
LED brightness

Who it's good for-
Someone that occasionally drifts a little (5-10) over the speed limit and has a quiet vehicle.

If any of you guys and gals have any specific questions, i'll answer them as best I can.

http://www.whistlergroup.com/images/detectors/1730.jpg

IH8LIDAR
07-05-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm new here and just purchased a 1730 about 4 days ago after reiceiving a ticket :x Saw a few reviews and 80%-%90 were positive. One said it was better than any Cobra he's tried. I saw the date and was wondering if you have had any enconters with laser in that amout of time. Also do you know of any other reviews or tests on the 1730? Thanx, great forum!
(Before anyone says anything I know its CHEAP and I'll upgrade later)

compu44
07-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately I've never had a real laser encounter, but from what i've seen with the GOL laser tester, I'd say it should fare much better than my RX65 in that regard. It seems extremely good at picking up off-axis laser from the tester. The 1730 is just a backup, so it's not something i've spent a whole lot of time with.

I would suggest a mount high on the windshield with this unit to maximize line-of-sight.

IH8LIDAR
07-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I heard you should mount as low as possible without being obstructed by wipers. That way it will be closer in line with the liscense plate. Maybe I'm wrong, I've only had 2 detectors before and they were given to me.

compu44
07-06-2006, 12:23 AM
http://guysoflidar.com/detectormounting.html

http://www.valentine1.com/laserhowto/

Those will likely change your mind. :)

ozamidaz
09-10-2006, 02:19 PM
how is the detection of radars?

compu44
09-10-2006, 04:43 PM
how is the detection of radars?

K band can actually be pretty good. I dare say good enough. Ka however, normally alerts just before the officer comes into view.

ozamidaz
09-10-2006, 06:35 PM
how about on the othe bands?

ozamidaz
09-10-2006, 06:58 PM
and does it beep alot for no reason because im looking for one for my dad and he doesnt like it when it beeps a lot? plese answer! :D

ozamidaz
09-10-2006, 07:26 PM
i was also wondering how is the whistler 1732 do u kno by any chance?

compu44
09-11-2006, 08:01 PM
The only bands i've seen with it were K and Ka, i've never picked up X on it. I've also never had a real laser encounter with it, but from playing with my laser tester, it seems like it should be very good.

Falsing is pretty minimal and the tones are such that it's not really annoying when it does go off.

The 1732 should be very similar.

ozamidaz
09-12-2006, 04:51 PM
thanks for all the help :D

Aertssab13
04-13-2008, 07:59 PM
i got a 1732 radar for free from a friend new in package, i just wanted to make sure it was 12 band before i wire it up? It says "Total Band Protection" is that right, am i safe to use it?

Whistler1
04-23-2008, 11:12 PM
I use to have a Whistler 1734, the X and k band sensitivity was very good nearly as good as a Bel RX65. Ka band lacked some and laser wasnt bad. For the price, a surprising good detector. The only issue the volume on all bands could have been louder.

Whistler1

happya$$
04-24-2008, 05:02 AM
I will never understand why anyone would ever consider a Cobra over a Whistler. They do not even belong in the same sentence