PDA

View Full Version : Pro 78se Laser False?

mikeslc
05-31-2009, 08:06 PM
I thought I would share this strange Ka and Laser alerts from my Whistler Pro 78se radar detector. Didn't see anything around that would have caused these alerts at the time. There was a Porsche Cayenne behind me and I even slowed down and proceeded to drive "around" it to see if it might have some sort of dynamic laser cruise control. I don't think it was the Porsche. I did encounter a brief Laser alert an hour later when I came back around to this area coming from the opposite direction.

YouTube - Whistler Pro 78se Laser False?

cooljay
05-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Airport near by? You don't really give much info about the area around where you got the alert so it's hard to pinpoint what caused the false which could be a number of things.

mikeslc
05-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Airport near by? You don't really give much info about the area around where you got the alert so it's hard to pinpoint what caused the false which could be a number of things.

I had just driven past the FAA building at the start of the video and the airport is not too far behind it.

cooljay
05-31-2009, 08:17 PM
That would be what is causing your laser false in that area then :).

snoopyc4
05-31-2009, 09:23 PM
The sun sometimes causes false laser alerts:

http://www.valentine1.com/laserhowto/

mikeslc
05-31-2009, 09:52 PM
The sun sometimes causes false laser alerts:

Laser How-To (http://www.valentine1.com/laserhowto/)

Thanks for the link. Some very useful information that I did not know about.

stlcardsfan
05-31-2009, 10:08 PM
BTW what was the frequency on that Ka alert?

mikeslc
05-31-2009, 10:27 PM

The Pro 78se did not show the Ka or Laser frequency on that alert. My camera has a hard time picking up the blue led display during the day.

stlcardsfan
05-31-2009, 10:28 PM

The Pro 78se did not show the frequency on that alert. My camera has a hard time picking up the blue led display during the day.

I assume that means it was a junk RD then. Could it have been an Infiniti with a Cobra? :D

mikeslc
05-31-2009, 10:33 PM

The Pro 78se did not show the frequency on that alert. My camera has a hard time picking up the blue led display during the day.

I assume that means it was a junk RD then. Could it have been an Infiniti with a Cobra? :D

No way to know for sure. Could be the airport radar, the sun or like you said. I went out today trying to find a UHP 34.7Ka, but can't find them when I need them. LOL

mikeslc
06-01-2009, 10:56 AM
I encountered 4 more Laser alerts this morning and got the last one on video:

YouTube - Whistler Pro 78se Laser Alert

Here is a map with descriptions:

http://home.comcast.net/~mikesphoto/LaserAlertMap.gif

LSID showed LSR1009, does that mean it's PPS rate 100 signal strength 9?

Michael B
06-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Next time thru, store it by pressing the quiet button during the laser alert, then any other alert will just give you the display information and 2 quick beeps instead of the full alert.

mikeslc
06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Next time thru, store it by pressing the quiet button during the laser alert, then any other alert will just give you the display information and 2 quick beeps instead of the full alert.

Thanks, that's good to know.
Do you know what PPS rate the Laser Cruise Control systems use?
Would the Pro 78se able to show the LSID when that happens?