PDA

View Full Version : Done the IR NightShot Test for Veil and LaserShield!!!

Road Warrior
10-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Just completed my very first test of such nature :) with my own Sony camcorder, using the IR SuperNightShot exactly how the honorable experts just sugested... I parked my car in a very dark place (9:00 pm) but a wide one, I was able to walk back and forth for about up to 600 ft (150 m) with my Sony in hand... I have a very black car, imported maker, a thick Veil coat over my front headlights, LaserShield over my front plate, NO Veil over the front plate or LaserShield cover, and the car's front logo is not chrome at all, and I have no chrome on my car at all...
So I had about 600 ft to manover, back and forth, other cars and small trucks parked around, I've done couple of tests, lots of stops, all together for about 20 min, then I came home and watched the taping on my large TV screen... although all other cars, lights off, gave very strong reflections to my camcorder, mine did nothing, the only reflections, the front plate with LaserShield only, started from up to 100 ft heading back to my car, but almost nothing at this range, the real reflections showed-up at about 80 ft and geting closer to my car the stronger the reflections have become, the front plate with LS only, all the time my headlights with a very thick coat of Veil never produced any reflections to my IR camcorder...
I have no idea if this a good test to show the effectiveness of Veil plus LaserShield, also I don't know if police laser gun is stronger than my Sony IR camcorder... also I don't know if daylight changes the reflectivity conditions making it easier to be spotted during the day time...
Anybody has some reflections, ideas, sugestions, comments :?:
TIA :)

Dilip
10-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Thats rather interesting. it shows that veil surely works on headlights.

I just wonder what the results would be if VEIL was used on a normal plate?

Road Warrior
10-16-2005, 09:35 PM

In my case I do have a normal plate, the Ontario plate, but once again Veil coating changes the color of product you are applying to, it makes it really dark, therefore I don't want anybody to notice it on my front plate... LS is enough for me!
And btw, since 1995 photo radar has been banned in Ontario, therefore all I have to worry is the front-end of my car :wink:

Mackid343
10-16-2005, 09:50 PM
i've heard of people putting a light coat of veil on their lasershield, dont know if you'd want to try but it doesnt change the color much from a distance, just looks very slightly darker

Road Warrior
10-16-2005, 09:51 PM

Hi my friend :) I understand your pain, but to let you know that LaserShield is white and totally invisible... unless you are told about it, it's next to impossible to notice it over your license plate... anyhow, your license plate's size is simmilar to the European ones so you gotta inquire about LS for your plate's size prior to any attempt to buy one... US/Canada plates are totally different than the European/HK/Japan ones... size, not the material :wink:
Best of luck :)

Road Warrior
10-16-2005, 09:57 PM
i've heard of people putting a light coat of veil on their lasershield, dont know if you'd want to try but it doesnt change the color much from a distance, just looks very slightly darker

Thank you for suggestion, but I stick with LS only over my front plate... putting Veil over my LS, even a light coat, will change the normal white into a dark white and I will just ask for trouble, everybody will notice it right away, especially in the city...

Dilip
10-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks for your help. I am going to inquire if laser shield can be obtained in my size, if not i'll just get laser shield as it is and i'll custom make a license plate to fit it.

Mackid343
10-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Thank you for suggestion, but I stick with LS only over my front plate... putting Veil over my LS, even a light coat, will change the normal white into a dark white and I will just ask for trouble, everybody will notice it right away, especially in the city...

didnt know your plate was white. in that case, i'd definately say stick with the laser shield only. i suppose i've got the same problem, since wisconsin plates are almost all white...haha

Dilip
10-16-2005, 10:04 PM
haha, my problem is even worse! my plate is retroreflective white! i got veil on it which makes it real dark!

Road Warrior
10-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your help. I am going to inquire if laser shield can be obtained in my size, if not i'll just get laser shield as it is and i'll custom make a license plate to fit it.

Sorry, are you CRAZY :?: :shock: You cannot modify your license plate, including its size, you will be just breaking the law :!: :!: :!:
I bet Roy has in stock LS for European/HK/Japan plates, it might be more expensive, mine was US$20 plus shipping, check with his website...
Best of Luck :)

Dilip
10-16-2005, 10:08 PM
I dont have lasershield which is why i'm planning on getting it.

I can modifiy my plate to fit the lasershield, coz in HK there are several different sizes for plates, rectangular and square so it should not be a problem.

but of course I'll only do that if i can't get the LS for HK specs. :D

Road Warrior
10-16-2005, 10:14 PM

I can modifiy my plate to fit the lasershield, coz in HK there are several different sizes for plates, rectangular and square so it should not be a problem.

10-4 :)

All Canadian provinces and US states plates have exactly the same size, which is the one and only size available... the material there are made of might be different but size is always the same...

Road Warrior
10-16-2005, 10:29 PM

Just before I shot my computer, 12:30AM right now in Toronto, I checked www.radarbusters.com and under photo radar section you will see the LaserShield item and also you will see that under the international orders HK is also included but you gonna carefully chose your plate size and they will customize it for you... it costs US$23 plus shipping...
Best of Luck :)

Veil Guy
10-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Pleased to see that it worked for you.

IR camera's light the Sony camcorders with Nightshot do have some sensitivity through police laser wavelengths.

Is it possible for you to send me and edited (for time) video demonstrating your findings? I would consider having our guys host it on our www.laserveil.com website.

Veil Guy 8)

SmaartAasSaabr
10-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Road Warrior:

Soon you're "little black import" is going to look like HappyA$$'s Honda :lol: :lol:

Road Warrior
10-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Pleased to see that it worked for you.

IR camera's light the Sony camcorders with Nightshot do have some sensitivity through police laser wavelengths.

Is it possible for you to send me and edited (for time) video demonstrating your findings? I would consider having our guys host it on our www.laserveil.com website.

Veil Guy 8)

Hi The Veil Guy :)

I would be very glad to send you the little video demo BUT:
1) I have an old, 1998 computer, minimum memory and HD, Win96 only, so for that editing I need a more powerful computer which is not in my budget right now :(
2) Because of the jurisdiction I live in and the fact that my license plate shows-up in the video, the plate must be total invisible to anybody on this forum or cyberspace... you never know what LEO enjoys reading our messages so I would be just a stupid sucker to show it to him/her... hopefully you will understand my reasons :(

But I plan on doing the test again, this time I will park my car beside other vehicles and ALL will face the IR camcorder, I would like to see ALL differences between license plates with no LS and mine with LS and headlights with no Veil and mine with Veil... yesterday's test, the very first one of this kind in my entire life, was focused exclusivelly on my car, front-end, only, 2nd one I will compare the others with mine, I will do it over the next weekend... I will post my impressions next Sunday evening for the 2nd test and we will discuss again :wink:
But so far I think I'm pretty happy with my investments :)

Thanks a lot for the Veil :wink:

Road Warrior
10-22-2005, 07:31 AM

10-4 :)

All Canadian provinces and US states plates have exactly the same size, which is the one and only size available... the material there are made of might be different but size is always the same...

Yesterday I saw a p/u truck with a Northwest Territories license plate 8) blue letters on white and the shape of the plate was... a POLAR BEAR 8)
The logo on the plate for Northwest Territories is "Explore Canada's Arctic" 8)

SmaartAasSaabr
10-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Yeah NWT has used a "bear" shaped plate since 1970, along with Nunavut...

http://www.w-a.com/nunavut.JPG

I remember you could write them and they'd send you a "sample" one? Gotta remember there was never a automobile in the NWT until the 1920's!

Road Warrior
10-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah NWT has used a "bear" shaped plate since 1970, along with Nunavut...

http://www.w-a.com/nunavut.JPG

I remember you could write them and they'd send you a "sample" one? Gotta remember there was never a automobile in the NWT until the 1920's!

:)
That's the one but with the NWT name... pretty rare to see a vehicle from that wild but so remote part of the world :) 8)
And couple of weeks ago I saw one brand-new Mercedez sedan, with a family of 4 in it, with a Nunavut license plate... of course I gave them a little piece of my horn plus a friendly :)
Some friends of mine from France, 100% French, parents plus a 10 yo kid, on a visit to Canada they wanted to discover the wild north (I mean the REAL north), they flew from Toronto to Winnipeg, by train to Churchill (no roads around that area) and from Churchill they paid a private plane pilot to take them a little bit north of Churchill, no more railway north of Churchill... they did the whole trip in the middle of the winter, outside about -40C :!: :roll: They took pictures with REAL polar bears and seals :!: 8)

Road Warrior
10-22-2005, 11:10 AM
But I plan on doing the test again, this time I will park my car beside other vehicles and ALL will face the IR camcorder, I would like to see ALL differences between license plates with no LS and mine with LS and headlights with no Veil and mine with Veil... yesterday's test, the very first one of this kind in my entire life, was focused exclusivelly on my car, front-end, only, 2nd one I will compare the others with mine, I will do it over the next weekend... I will post my impressions next Sunday evening for the 2nd test and we will discuss again :wink:
But so far I think I'm pretty happy with my investments :)

Thanks a lot for the Veil :wink:

It's raining and will continue to rain for the whole weekend so unfortunatelly I'll not be able to do the outdoor test with my IR camcorder :cry: put off for the very first dry weekend :!: